PDA

View Full Version : Gifting

cookworm
05-20-2007, 11:59 PM
For those that have made baby blankets as gifts, have you given the blanket itself as the gift, or added other things as part of the gift? I'd like to add more to go along with my blanket that I'm making for a friend, but I don't think finances will cooperate. :oops: :pout:

Braden
05-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I always knit a whole layette (sweater, blanket, and socks), and that seems all, but you could also include a bottle set, a pacifier, and baby toys.

Krystal
05-21-2007, 12:22 AM
A gift is a gift regardless of size and expense. If a blanket is all your expenses can handle,then that will be just fine.

I personally consider a hand knit blanket more than enough considering all the time, labour and love that went into it. If you have excess yarn and some time, you could make a little set with hats and gloves, or a sweater... if you still feel like a blanket isn't enough.

Hopefully the receiver understands all that goes into handknits.

:heart:

snephenie
05-21-2007, 12:30 AM
A gift is a gift regardless of size and expense. If a blanket is all your expenses can handle,then that will be just fine.

I personally consider a hand knit blanket more than enough considering all the time, labour and love that went into it. If you have excess yarn and some time, you could make a little set with hats and gloves, or a sweater... if you still feel like a blanket isn't enough.

Hopefully the receiver understands all that goes into handknits.

:heart:

Exactly what I was going to say. Except, I was going to add, if the person you are giving it to doesn't think it's "enough" then I wouldn't waste my time, efforts and care on them.

Braden
05-21-2007, 12:30 AM
I didn't mean to sound rude; if a blanket is all your budget allows, than that is more than enough.

letah75
05-21-2007, 03:02 AM
By all means the blanket should be enough. The time, effort and caring put into making a blanket should be appreciated and loved. However, if you feel as though you want to add something in with it, I would suggest a book that was a favorite of yours as a child, with a personalized note in the front. So when baby snuggles with the blanket, he/she can be read to out of your book.

Also that way when the blanket gets put away because baby grows out of it, the book can be placed with it. It would make a wonderful heirloom, blanket and book. It can carry on for generations.

cookworm
05-21-2007, 03:05 AM
I didn't mean to sound rude

I didn't think you sounded rude--I appreciate everybody's responses! Part of this predicament is my fault...had I not waited until the 11th hour, I could've been knitting nice little things all along, buying a little here and there. :oops:

But part of me waited until the last minute because I wasn't sure that the recipient would understand how much time and work went into a baby blanket, and I don't mean that as an insult to them--my personal experience is that people that don't sew, knit, crochet, etc. (handicraft) typically don't usually know what a long process it is, unless they have somebody close to them that does these things and they can see first hand. After some contemplation, I figured that I would just go ahead and make a blanket anyway, and that making a handmade gift over buying something from the store was a better idea anyway with being short on funds because there is a labor of love in a handmade item, no matter how small it is; with a store-bought gift, I usually feel like when I can't spend as much as everybody else on gifts, it looks like it, you know? If I can get my behind in gear and try to work on the blanket as much as I can in the short time I have left, I'd like to maybe add a matching hat or something else quick to knit to it because I'll have yarn left over, but we'll have to see how much I can get accomplished. Hopefully I can finish it up in the next couple of days! :pray:

Sanibelle
05-21-2007, 09:41 AM
I just gave one of my coworkers a baby blankie as a shower gift. I spent over $60 on the yarn and have hours and hours of time in the blanket. Even if she does not realize the cost and effort associated with the gift, I know. I also made her a felted diaper bag - she had a really tough pregnancy including gestational diabetes so I wanted to make her something and something for the baby. Please don't sell your handmade gifts short by feeling that you need to buy her other things.

cookworm
05-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Please don't sell your handmade gifts short by feeling that you need to buy her other things.

Thanks, Sanibelle...this really helped put things into perspective. I didn't spend a ton of money on yarn, but I still have a lot of time and work invested in my project, and I really tried to find a pattern and yarn color that I thought would suit the parents perfectly. I almost don't want to give it away once it's done, it's coming out so nice. :shifty: I have a hard time parting with my projects sometimes when they come out like I planned. :oops:

dustinac
05-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I have gave several baby afghans and that is all.. they were always very well received... I have added booties as well if I had time and yarn left over.. they are very fast to knit and so cute.. I have trouble sticking to baby afghans too.. I keep telling myself I should have one going at all times that way it is already to give.. but I haven't done that yet...:teehee:

SandraEllen
05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I usually go the easy way out. I buy a present and then add a hand knit hat to the gift. It's usually very appreciated, it's simple dimple and quick, and something I'll actually get done.

LeslieRR
05-21-2007, 10:08 AM
IMHO I definitely think that the blanket is enough. It really is a labour of love (hours, materials etc) that go into it.

Even if you hadn't made the blankie, and bought it premade, you could just give the blankie. I think that a lot of people would just give a blanket from the store and be done with it. (hope this made sense!)

Don't worry! I'm sure that she'll love the blanket and appreciate all your hard work.

syndactylus
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I gave just some booties with the blanket I made (ran out of time) and made a sweater out of the leftover yarn later - I don't think the booties were ever even used.
but my mother always says that new parents appreciate stuff for slightly older babies even more, because they get an overflow of tiny infant clothes, and then nothing... & it's not like you can't make another gift later, if you want to.

Krystal
05-22-2007, 04:02 PM
I didn't mean to sound rude; if a blanket is all your budget allows, than that is more than enough.

I hope I didn't imply that you were rude. You didn't come off as rude at all. So sorry if I made you feel rude...

:muah:

nuknitter
05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
That is a GREAT idea, letah! Very sweet for baby...

marykz
05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I'll dog pile on here- a beautiful blankie, wrapped in a pretty package with a bow- is such a lovely gift. I still own the blankies made for me as a baby, and we have all the blankies made for our daughter.

If you wanted to add something the parents will really use- but is inexpensive- get the 12 pack of baby washcloths (or knit a few!)- or a pack of cloth diapers to use as burp cloths. the old burp cloths have new life as dusting rags here...

I agree with the previous poster that gifts for a larger size/ older baby are especially nice- babies grow SO fast! Target, KMArt, Kohls etc all have nice baby/toddler clothes that are pretty inexpensive.

or knitted baby toys.....

just don't forget to add a tag telling the new mom how to care for the blanket best... (I'm starting to make tags that have the care instructions, the fiber content, and that the item was handmade- just using cardstock and the computer printer, and a pretty font.)

rennfamily
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree! A blanket is more than enough. For me I'm a sucker for babies and while I've knitted a few blankets recently for babies (OK 3 and I just found out about the 4th), those babies are all going to recieve something else because that's me. I have a good friend/coworker who made my son the blanke from the Debbie Macomber book and you know what out of all the things he got from the baby shower besides the car seat that's the only thing he uses daily! That is his lovey and he doesn't go to sleep without it. He will forever know that Ms. Patty took a lot of time and effort to make him this goregous blanket. Now if I could only get him to stop pulling the stitches we'd all be in great shape.

cookworm
05-22-2007, 09:40 PM
That is his lovey and he doesn't go to sleep without it. He will forever know that Ms. Patty took a lot of time and effort to make him this goregous blanket. Now if I could only get him to stop pulling the stitches we'd all be in great shape.

Wow--what a great honor to knit a child's favorite blankie that they take everywhere!!! That would be the best "reward" for me if my blanket was this baby's lovey.

Thanks everybody for your responses. For my kids, some people had crocheted or knitted blankets and that was their sole gift and to me, it was more than enough, considering the time and effort involved, but as the gift giver, I felt maybe like it wasn't enough for me to give. I knitted a hat that matches the blanket and I'm hoping to get a set of booties with it if I have time and can find a nice pattern for worsted weight yarn. I'd really like to include a little sweater too but never having knitted a garment, I'm not so sure I'd have enough time to figure things out. :verysad: But that's okay. I feel pretty good now about giving the blanket (and the little hat), and if circumstances allow, maybe I can pick up a few cute little things. Thanks everybody for your reassurance and kind help.:heart:

tilllie
05-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I usually use the blanket as the wrapping and "wrap" some socks, a rattle or something small from the gift register it it. It doesn't seem to matter if a hand made item is alone or paired with another gift, it is always always appreciated by the recipient.