PDA

View Full Version : Friends and co-workers

letah75
05-21-2007, 03:06 AM
So my friends and co-workers have decided that since I knit, the first question that must be asked everyday is: "Did you knit that?" or they will point out something that someone else is wearing and say "Could you knit that."

I think it's kind of amusing that to non-knitters once you know how to knit, you must not only whip out a wardrobe a week, but you automatically know how to make anything and everything that is knitted. :lol: (Where's the little tee hee guy?)

Anywoo, just thought that was kind of amusing and wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Emeraldcutie
05-21-2007, 05:14 AM
I have co-workers like that, I like to knit socks at work when I am on breaks or lunch. I often get asked are you wearing your knit socks today, or can I see your socks :) 2 days ago it was extremely warm here, everyone was wearing sandals and Capri's and even then, they are like oh you didn't wear your hand knit socks today...geesh..

bobi1218
05-21-2007, 07:32 AM
My husband does that!! We were wandering through Restoration Hardware a few weeks ago, and he picked up a cabled bedspread and said "Hey, you can make something like this, right?" Seriously, the gauge on this thing was so fine. I said "Sure, it might take me about 20 years!"

No one else believes me when I tell them I made something, though. I had my daughter in a sweater I made for her on her first b-day on Saturday, and my parents and my grandmother were like "No, you didn't make that! No way, really? Really? YOU made that??!" :lol:

auburnchick
05-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Yes, I get that too. Especially ever since I made the booga bag, which everyone RAVES over. Now they ask what I'm currently working on. Of course, I always carry it with me, so I'm happy to whip it out of my bag!

Jan in CA
05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I don't work so I haven't gotten that, but I find myself looking at every knit and seeing how it's done and if I can figure out the pattern. :doh::teehee:

No one else believes me when I tell them I made something, though. I had my daughter in a sweater I made for her on her first b-day on Saturday, and my parents and my grandmother were like "No, you didn't make that! No way, really? Really? YOU made that??!"
I think I'd be trying to decide if I'm insulted or proud. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes, that happens to me too. I can't always articulate how something is done, even if I can see in my head how I would make it. And they question you, "how would you do it". I'm like, I really could do it, but I can't explain it!

Chel
05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
I have one coworker who is totally not crafty in any sense. Everything she sees that I have made she exclaims is "beautiful work!".

I thought it was cute the other day when she said "Wow, Michelle! That is nice, you do BEAUTIFUL work! .... What is it?."

To which I sheepishly responded, "A swatch."

mulene
05-21-2007, 01:15 PM
LOL I get the same thing ALL the time. In fact right now in an attempt to shut him up, I'm making my boss some socks *grin* He wants an Aran sweater too - I think he might be waiting a long time for that!

PaperGirl
05-21-2007, 03:24 PM
I made my mom a scarf....and shes all like..."Did your fingers hurt? How long did it take?"

The group I do a Secret Santa swap with, they are all like..."I hope youre my swap partner this year!" :roflhard::doh:

DragonsChest
05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
I have one coworker who is totally not crafty in any sense. Everything she sees that I have made she exclaims is "beautiful work!".

I thought it was cute the other day when she said "Wow, Michelle! That is nice, you do BEAUTIFUL work! .... What is it?."

To which I sheepishly responded, "A swatch."

That is hilarious! You should tell her that once you've made enough swatches, you're going to piece them together and make a quilt.

:thumbsup:

KathyinCali
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I made my mom a scarf....and shes all like..."Did your fingers hurt? How long did it take?"

I get the "doesn't it hurt your fingers" question all the time. Or, when I say "anyone can learn to knit: I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the reply "I don't think my fingers could take it".:shrug:

tarrentella
05-22-2007, 12:42 PM
lol i get thet in work too.
My mum was great though, she has been knitting me a blancket for the past 4 years i don't think shes even half way there - lets just say she isn't a knitter but bless her for trying! when she got her mothers day pressent (the Sophie bag) she whent wild, and was realy impressed, she kept saing - you made that, did you use a pattern? how did you do that. i was well chuffed especially as i had been a bit embarressed about the mistakes in it. now shes trying to ge tme to doa wrap for her - maybe when i get back fromt he philippines, and finish the socks, and get my bro's wedding pressie done!

Carrie218
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I also make jewelry so these same questions are often two-fold for me. Which gets annoying only because I really like BUYING jewelry so if I mix-and-match, I might be wearing earrings I've made but someone asks about a ring I haven't made.

Knitting-wise, I tend to knit for other people; my poor boyfriend has four sweaters and rarely wears them. I am just now starting to knit for myself and look forward to getting these questions!

mdog182
05-22-2007, 07:41 PM
i don't know if this makes me a poor sport or not but i actually avoid knitting at work because of people's comments/fascination. it is kind of distracting i will look over my shoulder and someone will be standing there staring at my hands and it makes me kind of uncomfortable. or they will ask me ALL kinds of questions and they are always the same questions. when i do bring my knitting to work to knit during my lunch break it is because i have a deadline that i have to make and i don't have time to amuse everyone. i sound like a....not nice person right now. haha i do like the attention i get when i wear something i made and people gawk over it. just not while i'm actually knitting something.