PDA

View Full Version : Look what I made!

cathoo
05-21-2007, 08:50 AM
With it being the :balloons:long weekend:balloons: in Canada, my bf came by and helped me make a swift! It's based on the wonderful instructions at Crafty Diversions (http://www.craftydiversions.com/patterns/homemade_yarn_swift.htm). It cost about $15 bucks for the wood, and about 3 hours to make. I could make it faster and by myself too, now that I know how. It's completely collapsible too! I'm going to knit a bag for it based on the yoga mat bag pattern in the latest interweave knits.

It's not finished yet, I've still got to sand it, and I'm going to stain it a beautiful reddish-brown colour that I've used in other projects.

(For those keeping score at home, that's Blue Moon Fiber Arts' Socks That Rock "Monsoon" (http://bluemoonfiberarts.com/colorway_detail.php?colorway_id=281&fiber_category=Animal&colorway_category_id=11) on the swift)

Now it doesn't take me hours to wind a skein of yarn! SOOOO HAPPY!!!!:mrgreen:

AmandaC
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
That looks exactly like the one i BOUGHT for approx $90 ..... hmmmmm

Well done to you! .... and why are you only winding your Monsoon now ....????? :shrug: :teehee: My inside out socks are my favourites so far!!!!

Sanibelle
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
That looks great! My husband made one for me a few months ago just like the one you made. They work great. I put a nail on my door and hang it up when I am not using it - very easy to store!

Have fun with it

Lynn

SandraEllen
05-21-2007, 09:07 AM
OOH... i never thought of making a bag to keep my swift in. I LOVE the idea!

Side note: I made one just like this a while back, but I sometimes have a problem with the top arms clunking against the legs when I'm using it. Does anyone else have that problem? :scratchinghead:

PinkRoses
05-21-2007, 09:11 AM
That's wonderful!!! :cheering:

dustinac
05-21-2007, 09:14 AM
:thumbsup:Great job!!

cathoo
05-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Side note: I made one just like this a while back, but I sometimes have a problem with the top arms clunking against the legs when I'm using it. Does anyone else have that problem? :scratchinghead:

If you have a piece of thicker scrap wood laying around, you can drill a hole in it and use it as a spacer between the base and the arms. That will lift the arms higher and prevent it from hitting the base. I had to add one.

AmandaC: I'm winding monsoon now because it arrived in the middle of my midterms. And I'm slooow at finishing projects.

AmandaC
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
AmandaC: I'm winding monsoon now because it arrived in the middle of my midterms. And I'm slooow at finishing projects.

enjoy knitting them - I love the colours ... but i did get sore hands because the yarn was mediumweight and smaller than usual needles ...

My Silkie is still sitting waiting for me to have time for it .... I'm not sure I'm going do the Grasshopper pattern though ..... I haven't decided yet though...

iza
05-21-2007, 09:43 AM
:heart::cheering:Cathoo, this is AWESOME! And I think I will put my boyfriend on it fairly soon... :teehee: What a great idea!

Happy Victoria day! (here in Quebec it's called "La fete des patriotes" :teehee:)

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Cool :cheering:

KnittingNat
05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
I think i'm going to show it to my hubby or make it myself on my spare time. Thanks for the link!

jeanius80
05-21-2007, 11:56 AM
i just made one last month too from the same tutorial! i am too lazy to do all the sanding though, so i bought prefinished mdf moulding ( it was 1" thick 2" wide ) and used it. i still need to cut down the center dowl, and i am going to sew a bag from a failed attempt at sewing a skirt! :teehee: i have used it bunches, it works great!

yarnbee
05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Wow, Cathoo, your bf is a keeper! Have been thinking of getting a swift when I'm worthier :notworthy: but yours is something my DH could do and definitely a lot cheaper than the one in the LYS.
Thanks for sharing!

DeAnzaJig
05-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I :heart: it! Great job and thanks for posting the link to the directions.

One more thing added to my To-Do list!