PDA

View Full Version : I think I am jinxed when it comes to learning to knit socks!

Sanibelle
05-21-2007, 09:16 AM
After seeing all the great socks everyone has made, I finally decided to give it a try. I bought some sock yarn and DPN and went home to give it a whirl. I was so confused I decided to take a class which was being offered at my LYS. I called and signed up and the owner of the shop said to just pay the AM of the class. I was really looking forward to it. Finally the day of the class comes. My DH dropped me off as he had something to do in the same area as the LYS and promised to pick me up in 2 hours. I go to enter the LYS and it was still locked up. Well, I was a little early so I did not panic but after 15 minutes no one showed up. Finally got hold of DH who came and picked me up. I called the LYS the next day and was told I was the only one that signed up so the class was cancelled. I was pretty mad as they had my home and cell number and did not call to let me know. I vowed never to go back to that store!

So skip forward a few weeks.... I signed up for another class - the LYS is right by my office and I love the owner and the shop. The class was 2 socks on 2 circs and it was 2 Sunday AM's... yesterday and next Sunday. Friday I went and picked out beautiful sock yarn - Lorna's Laces and got my 2 #2 circs. Showed up for the class and there was only 1 other person in it.

The instructor was as nice as can be but I guess just because you know how to do something does not mean you can teach it. I learned nothing after sitting there for 3 hours. Everytime she showed us what to do and we did it, when we went to turn the work she realized it was wrong and we had to start all over again - 3 times! Finally the owner got there to open the store and was pretty upset how bad the class was going. SHe suggested we only do one sock at a time - which the other woman in the class had wanted to do from the beginning. But she still could not show us how to do it. Finally I left and still have no clue! The owner said she would make it right - which I am sure she will as she is great but I am so frustrated.

I watched Amy's video last night and decided I will try again using the video and maybe at least get started before the next class.

Will I ever learn to make socks??????

lissalue
05-21-2007, 09:28 AM
YES!!!! you will learn, and it will be worth it when you do. I would suggest that you do Silver's sock tutorial. It is the only reason i figured out how to do socks! :heart::hug:

Julie
05-21-2007, 09:34 AM
I agree -- Silver's Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm) is a great place to start. There aren't videos, but there are tons of photos and everything is explained in great detail. :D

LizzieK8
05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Why not start out with WW sock? :shrug: Less sts to co, bigger yarn and needles to see what you're doing and gratification, although not instant, is much faster than regular sock yarn. Joan's Socks (http://www.cosy-place.com/html/34.html)or a Christmas Stocking (http://www.lunaticcafe.com/Patterns/Christmas%20Stocking.pdf) is a nice easy one to start with for conventional cuff down socks. Once you learn the mechanics of sock making, the rest is just embellishment!:lol:

dustinac
05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree I think Silver's tutorial is very helpful..

I started mom out on the Tropical Slipper socks (http://http://www.beartoes.com/patterns/tropicalpunch.html) she found it easier and not as scary to her..

If you ever get stuck someone is always here to answer your questions.. you can do it!! :happydancing:

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I learned from Silver's Sock Class. If a dumb old truck driver can learn from it, anyone can.

gingerbread
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Oh I know how you feel, that is what almost happened to me. Only I had to cancel, surgery came up. :tap:So I figured since I was laid up for a couple of months I would just try myself to make socks. Nope no matter what I did I could not get passed the darn heel:ick:
So I ordered some pure & simple sock patterns. Followed it like Ingrid said to do, trust the pattern:thumbsup:
Well now I look back and say wow why did I make it look so hard. :flirt: So do try Silver's socks they are easy to follow and understand. :star:
Teri

Silver
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Ugh I was totally cringing as I read your post. I'm so sorry you hadn't tried my sock tutorial first, and I hope you are refunded for that failed class! Please try my sock knitting class and let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the advertising everyone! :)

PaperGirl
05-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Call me another one who was successful with Silvers tutorial! :thumbsup:

I printed the WHOLE thing out...23 pages...and clipboarded it...carried it around inmy knitting bag for WEEKS....scared to try...finally I just DID it.

I messed up SO bad when it came to making the heel flap...I was knitting inside out....so I came here and figured it out!

Between Silvers tutorial, and this forum, I completed my FIRST SOCK this weekend! :happydance::happydance:

AND...CO for the 2nd on in the blue, and the first one for DH in the red.

You can DO it! Just trust yourself! :cheering:

Chel
05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Another vote for Silvers tutorial.

Seriously Don't look at making a whole sock. Take it as Silver describes it-step by step. You can knit in the round. You can do ribbing. You can count. You can increase and decrease. You are FINE. You can do this. You have all the knowledge necessary to make socks. You just need the confidence. PM me if you have questions... but go pick up your sock yarn and needles, and cast on. I'm casting on tonight for the ones in my sig, so I'll be knitting a pair right along with you. C'mon!!!! Lets do it!!!!!!

Quiltlady
05-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I took classes at my LYS on learning how to knit socks the Toe UP method. It was great. It did take a little while for the short row stuff to sink in as to "why" I was doing that but once it clicked in my brain...I got it.:cheering::cheering:

I find that I have to knit a pair of socks every six months so I do not forget HOW to do them. :shifty:When I first learned I knit about eight pair right in a row!! I've since moved on to knitting other things but I do have to come back to socks every so often.:happydancing:

Hang in there and learn you'll be glad you did.

Knitalia
05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I just printed out Silver's tutorial yesterday. Wish me luck!!

Stonington
05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Good Luck! Silvers tutorial is GREAT!

anne

Carla1019
05-21-2007, 03:35 PM
http://yarnmiracle.gweezlebur.com/patterns/WeeTinySock.html
This is the first sock I every made. It is tiny but you do the same pattern on a big sock. It gave me an idea of how to make it. plus I make it in 5 days... Ok so I had to frog it a few times. I have made 3 of these. I put cat nip in them.

iza
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
HUGE fan of Silver's tutorial here :waving: Everything is very well explained, and it's also FREE! :teehee:

Sanibelle
05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

I had printed Silver's Sock Tutorial a few months ago - it seemed so easy when I read it. But then I tried it... I should have done the worsted weight socks to start with - but I bought sock weight yarn and size 1 needles - so even though I understood the tutorial I had a problem with the size 1 toothpicks - needles!

So I signed up for the first class thinking there was a trick to working with such small needles. WHen my LYS had the socks on circs class I thought - great no DPN's!

So now $45 for the class plus the yarn plus 2 #2 addis plus more yarn and 1 set #1 DPN's and no socks to show for it.

I think I am going to give socks a break this week, finish my clapotis and another booga bag, and go to the second part of the class on SUnday. If it is still bad I am going to ask for my $$$ for the class back and use Silvers tutorial on worsted weight yarn.

THANKS ALL!!!

PaperGirl
05-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Dont give up! You CAN do this! I went with sock yarn, and size 3 needles. And I persevered!

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
I think it is easier to do worsted first. That's what I did and it was so much easier to actually see what I was doing and why.

auburnchick
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Just wanted to give you a hug. :hug:

Don't let it intimidate you. I agree that maybe you should do one of your projects that will build your confidence. Then give the socks another go.

Take it one step at a time and ask us when you have a question. Each time. Many of us have a pair of socks OTN and can take pictures to help you along the way.

You can do it!!!! :muah:

Shakey2523
05-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I had never used double pointed needles before, and managed to get through my first pair of socks with this tutorial. I still use the same general pattern for most socks. Don't give up! These socks are
my Mother's favorite gift now.

KnitClickChick
05-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Don't give up, you can do it! It took me forever! First I tried with sock yarn and #1 DPN... awful. My first successful sock was WW on size 6. It was so much easier to see what was going on at each point. I could never wear the socks with shoes, but they are great for around the house when it is chilly. I've since graduated to sock yarn and the "toothpicks", and now I can't stop! Once you get it, you'll wonder why you ever thought it was so hard.

jeanius80
05-21-2007, 10:21 PM
:heart:i just want to 2nd the vote (3rd.. umm 6th??) for silvers tutorial..step by step pictures! i also havea bookby cat bordhi - socks that soar on two circulars. it has simple beginner patterns and instructions. but start with silvers tutorial! i honestly think that once you od this, you can convert any sock pattern to two on two circs :D

brownishcoat
05-22-2007, 09:51 AM
It is also easier to see what is going on if you use a light-to-medium colored yarn.

My first sock was a "test sock" and it was never intended to have a mate. I didn't make any concessions for size or gauge, just followed the pattern throughout. I learned so much from doing it!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/83827178_faa2fb993f.jpg