PDA

View Full Version : Looking for:semi-sheer hooded sweater:update:found image

Blissknits
05-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Why? What good is a sheer sweater? Air-conditioning, folks, and a weird metabolism. Hot/cold/hot/cold is the story of my life, and I saw the absolutely perfect sweater the other day - a soft, lightweight, semi-sheer hooded sweater.

It looked like your average hoodie, but the yarn was a little fuzzier than "normal," and the knit was slightly more loose - like maybe a smaller yarn was used on a larger needle? The fuzzyness of the yarn kept the whole thing together as a coherent garment, rather than having it become one of those alarmingly doily-like sweaters that seem to be so popular right now.

I've been looking around for patterns, but frankly I'm so new to knitting I'm not sure I'm using the right words in my searches. :blush:

The patterns I'm finding are for large, heavy boxy type sweaters, and what I'm looking for is distinctly light and feminine.

Any help or direction you could offer would be greatly appreciated! :yes:

(and I'm only *slightly* embarrassed to say I saw this sweater on Buffy: Season Three, which I was watching while I knitted my socks.)

jcmom
05-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi,
One site you might check out could be knittingpatterncentral.com
They have a LOT of various patterns. I'd say something like womens cardigan or womens cardigan hoodie would be a place to start your search. Good luck, I know how it is to spend lots of time looking for just the right pattern.

Sara
05-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Do not be embarrassed! I am in the midst of Buffy: season 3 myself!:happydance:

I have a good idea of what you are looking for. Probably mohair. If I find a pattern, I will let you know.

BUFFY!!!!!!:biting::heart::biting::heart::biting:

syndactylus
05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
there's a pattern in greetings from knit cafe for a shaped hoody.
I was planning on trying to use it substituting a laceweight alpaca yarn - I used to have a sheer one made of linen that is sadly very long gone.
but I think it will be a while now.
depending on how brave you are... ?

GinnyG
05-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Why not do the "wonderful Wallaby" in the yarn of your choice. It is a well written pattern for a beginner

Blissknits
05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I actually found an image of the sweater in question. *Please* ignore the knife. :blush:

here (http://www.buffyguide.com/gallery.php3?img=images/epsp/17b85feaa8/episodes/gd1/images/buffy25.jpg)

It looks like ye olde basic sweater. With some lightweight fuzzy yarn. Mohair? Angora? Some kind of silk blend?

I took up knitting to relax from some of my other obsessive hobbies...I didn't know I'd end up spending hours searching around for an elusive pattern. :shifty:

But I do like the way it drapes....

GinnyG
05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Tried the link and got "error on page":-(

suzeeq
05-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, that site doesn't like you linking directly to the photo.

sue

Blissknits
05-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Well, shoot. It works for me....lets see if I can insert it as an image...

Blissknits
05-22-2007, 07:07 PM
It worked! Yay! So I'm pretty sure it looks like a basic hoodie. Except sheer-ish and somewhat fitted. This was the only picture I could find.

I would love to know what needle/yarn combination you guys think this might be; I really am so appreciative of any suggestions. :)

Lady Violet
05-22-2007, 07:33 PM
i absolutely LOVE that! i wish i could help with the yarn/needles, but unfortunately i don't know too much about yarn beyond acrylic and cotton (yet).

mwedzi
05-22-2007, 07:46 PM
It worked! Yay! So I'm pretty sure it looks like a basic hoodie. Except sheer-ish and somewhat fitted. This was the only picture I could find.

I would love to know what needle/yarn combination you guys think this might be; I really am so appreciative of any suggestions. :)

Well, as the needle and gauge, my guess is it's machine-knit at a gauge a human wouldn't want to do. But for us, hmm, there is this yarn by Mango Moon called Springy Capelli, I think. It is a laceweight that has a little bit of stretch to it and a nice halo, mostly a nylon and acrylic blend, that I think would be good for that, maybe on something in the 3-5 needle size range, but I don't know, would have to swatch. The best part about that yarn, though, is my LYS sells it for less than $4/hank.

GinnyG
05-23-2007, 07:18 AM
I really think you could use the WOnderful Wallaby pattern for that. Leave the front pocket off if you want. Pick your yarn, knit a gauge swatch and go from there.

Blissknits
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks you guys! That yarn does look perfect...do you know if is there anywhere to get it online? My lys is ah, rudimentary, lets say.

GinnyG, I googled the wonderful wallaby and saw that it required dpns... do you think I could wing it with just straights and circulars? This will be my third project, and honestly dpns are still a little scary. I haven't tried them yet. And I bought the knitpicks options set. :) So I have lots of circulars but no dpns.:)

zip
05-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I think this pattern (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-hoodedSweater.html?noImages=) looks more like what you want than does the wallaby. The bottom edge of the wallaby is ribbed, as opposed to the looseness of this hooded sweater. You can probably Google up something even closer to the original.

VictoiseC
05-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh my god, I thought hot/cold/hot/cold was the story of MY LIFE!!!:pout: It's good to know someone else goes through what I do. Lately, everytime I put a cotton tshirt on I have to rip if off and find a tank top. then I'm cold 20 minutes later. Yikes. I love your idea. I actually have the Knit Cafe book checked out from the library. Think I'll look at that again. I love stretchy open-? knit tops that are cool and slightly warm at the same time. I'll bet linen is wonderful for that.

good luck, keep us posted!

Jints
05-27-2007, 02:46 AM
http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patterns_Free.asp
Just found this page. has one sweater with that transparent look you want. Sorry can't see anything with hood, but yarn looks right.