PDA

View Full Version : Experience with KP Shine sport?

RuthK
05-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Does Shine sport generally shrink or stretch when you wash and dry it?

I washed and dried a swatch with this yarn, and it actually seemed to get bigger instead of smaller in the drier - have other people found this? I'm way off gauge, so I frogged it and have used the same yarn with two different smaller needles, and still can't get gauge. Now I'm wondering if all of this frogging and re-knitting has stretched it out, and if I should start with fresh yarn. Just wondering if others had similar experiences...

Braden
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Its' a good yarn, and the sweater I made seemed to stay the same size in the wash. As a general rule, cotton stretches with wear and then goes back to its original size in the wash.

dakatzmeow
05-22-2007, 11:53 AM
i'm getting ready (trying to get brave enough) to knit arwen in shine worsted. glad to hear it shrinks back to size.

BostonBecca
05-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I haven't washed my tank top knit in this yet, still need to do the last finishing. However, it did knit into a beautiful fabric and is very soft. It supposedly improves with a trip through the washer and dryer.

newamy
05-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I did some swatches in shine worsted and couldn't get guage, but when I washed them I did have the correct gauge- it did get a bit bigger. I knitted a sweater for my duaghter out of it and the whole time I knitted it I thought it looked too small. But it fits fine.

RuthK
05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm still not sure what to do, though. I guess I'll use the same yarn again, with even-smaller needles, and then re-wash and dry to see what happens.

Becca, I also heard it "improves" but didn't know what that meant! It certainly does seem like a great yarn and I like the feel of the fabric, I just can't get the stitches small enough. I wonder if I should have tried the worsted weight instead.