PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Reaction, and it really hurts!

mwedzi
05-22-2007, 07:37 PM
So I decided to push myself and try to knit a short sleeved sweater over a long weekend. I started Friday morning. :knitting: By Sunday night I was almost finished, but my wrist wasn't feeling so good, so I decided to slow down. I finished this morning and I'm wearing it now. :woohoo: I was okay (pics when I get home). I was impressed with myself. I had even timed myself as I did last year, and I was up from 35 sts/min to 56 on my addi turbos. Great, huh?
:chair:

I'm at my part-time job now, though, and my right wrist is KILLING me. Just throbbing. I'm a pabo, as the Koreans would say.

Braden
05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Sorry about you wrist, but I think it's outstanding that you finished a sweater over 4 days! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

cathoo
05-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Ouchie! Maybe you want to change the way you knit for a couple of days, take a break. Don't push yourself too much, you can end up with permanent damage!

nuknitter
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Please be careful, Nikki! Sounds like you're already on the path to repetitive motion syndrome (could be carpal tunnel syn.), which could seriously injure you - that would be a cryin' shame as you're such a talented knitter.

Seriously, take a break for at least a week from any knitting (ouch!), look up some carpal tunnel stretches on the internet and do them several times a day, you might need some occasional Advil to calm the swelling/inflammation, and ice it a few times a day. From now on, you're going to have to be more moderate (read: less crazy obsessed) about knitting.

This is f/the voice of experience, both from being on your end, and from treating those with carpal tunnel.

mwedzi
05-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Seriously, take a break for at least a week from any knitting (ouch!),

:shock:

From now on, you're going to have to be more moderate (read: less crazy obsessed) about knitting.

:shock::shock::shock:

Sounds like you're already on the path to repetitive motion syndrome (could be carpal tunnel syn.),

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: Well, then I'm getting off this path, and getting onto the path of denial! Repetitive stress injury, repetitive schrmess injury!

Aw man, I was going to take the night off, but a week? Can I crochet? Cuz next I was going to try to design and crochet a top in 5 days. Probably not, crochet is even harder on my wrist. :pout:

sara_jayne
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Ouch!!! I hope your wrist starts to feel better soon, Nikki! :hug:

CarmenIbanez
05-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Pictures? :poke:

nadja la claire
05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

A friend told me about someone who did something like that. The woman couldn't knit for a year. I hope that doesn't happen to you and I hope you're ok.

:muah::hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Yarn Doc
05-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Dude, you are so lucky that I'm not your doctor. I would have you committed to the nut house STAT.

Now where did I put that Thorazine?

mwedzi
05-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Thorazine, what's that? Is that a make-nikki-happy drug? hmmmm . .. :shifty: It's the same sweater I was working on last Friday at knit night. That was day 1.

A whole year?! What? Knitting needles need to come with warning labels for sensically-challenged people like me! Who can I sue?

okay, no knitting for a while. poo! pic now in Whatcha Knittin'?

CateKnits
05-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Thorazine = liquid straight jacket, no? :teehee:

nuknitter
05-23-2007, 01:43 AM
HA!!! That's a funny equation, but in a way true (for schizophrenia/psychotic break).

Ronda
05-23-2007, 06:51 AM
that would be a cryin' shame as you're such a talented knitter.

Yea, what nuknitter said.

Hope your wrist feels better soon.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Nikki! Please take a rest!

My best friend started knitting about 7 months ago and she went way overboard with lace scarves and now she is getting cortisone shots for tendonistis:cry:

She hasn't been able to knit for a couple of months. Fortunately she isn't obsessed...if it were me...I don't know what I would do.
I knit every day, and I mean EVERY day and would be devastated if I had to stop.

Take care of you!

marykz
05-23-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm majorly impressed by the stitches/minute... but seriously- take a break. if it still really throbs/ aches- try the RICE
Rest
Ice (10 minutes on, 20 minutes off)
Compression (ace bandage/ light brace)
Elevation

maybe pick up an inexpensive wrist brace to wear overnight to keep yourself from twisting or sleeping on it funny.

my wrist injury (non-knitting related- it was computer related) kept me out of work for six weeks and in wrist braces 24/7 for 2 months. The braces Really helped at night when the pain was worse.

take care of yourself! I want to see many more of your special projects!!

lostchyld
05-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Wrist injuries aren't something you want to mess with. I had tendinitis last summer and I still keep my brace close because it hasn't entirely gone away. I lost the whole summer outside of work to that one injury. Definitely take a week or so off from knitting and practice RICE. In the future, listen to your body. If it's telling you to take a break, do so. That's your basic injury prevention.

Congrats on finishing your sweater, though. That's quite an achievement.

-Caet.

mwedzi
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all your concern. :hug: I'll take it easy for a few days. I also knit or crochet everyday. I wish I were ambidexterous or something. then i could switch off. *sigh* All my hobbies go in obsessive spurts. I get really interested in something, do it much more and learn more about it than the average person in a short time, and then get burned out, lose interest, and move on to something else. I already think beading will be the next thing for me. :think:

Anyway, to do something related but not actually knit, I organized (a little) my stash (now more stuff going up in the sale/swap forum) and am writing down the pattern for that top.

KnittingNat
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey Nikki! Take it easy..We don't want to lose you for some medical forum or something like that!:hug:

Rose662
05-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Congrats on finishing your sweater so quickly! :cheering:

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. Do be careful. It sounds like you may be developing Carpal Tunnel. Perhaps you can try using your wrist differently.