PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little stumped by this sock pattern...

wends
05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi all!

I started making these socks that I found here: http://www.millharrow.com/weblog/front_content.php?idart=146&idsel=182 and I've done the leg pattern and was about to start the heel when I got all confused. Okay, it says:

Cuff:
Loosely cast on 64 st, divide onto 3 dpns (16 - 32 - 16), place marker and join for working in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches. Work 10 rounds in k2p2 rib stitch.
Leg:
Work in leg pattern until desired length.
Heel Flap:
Slide 16 sts of needle 3 onto needle 1. Working back and forth on these 32 st:
Row 1 (RS): Sl 1, k to end.
Row 2 (WS): Sl 1, p to end.

If I put 16 stitches from needle 3 to needle 1, won't that be transferring all the needles from one to another leaving me with 32 stitches on 2 needles? Also, my working yarn will be in the middle if I do that. Am I making sense?

Now, I'm seeing at the Turn Heel that it says to then divide what's left onto 2 needles. So does that mean I'll have 11-32-11 at the point?

Ingrid
05-23-2007, 07:52 AM
You can knit the stitches over to get the working yarn to the end.

You will only be working those 32 stitches at this point, so the other needles will just be holding the stitches.

The stitches don't have to be divided evenly. You have them uneven after the heel turn. It makes it easier to follow which needle has the bottom of the foot stitches and which are patterned for the top of the foot.

wends
05-23-2007, 08:23 AM
So I'll have 2 needles with 32 stitches on each, am I right? Then once I turn the heel I divide them back onto 2 needles?

DragonsChest
05-23-2007, 09:31 AM
When it comes time to knit the heel, I've always moved stitches around so that the bulk of them are on Needle #2, the heel flap needle, and Needles #1 and #3 just dangle while I knit on #2.