PDA

View Full Version : Bruised finger??

Teeka
05-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Has this every happened to you? I was watching a bad movie on TV last night and knitting another square for my son's "country cousins blanket." It's just straight garter stitch, so I was moving along pretty quickly. I knit though the entire movie.

Well, this morning I was making my son's lunch and when I rinsed my hand, my finger said, "ouch!" I had a tinhy bruise right where my right index finger rests against the point of the left needle to slide the newly worked stitch to the right needle. And in the middle of the bruise is a tiny, tiny break in the skin. :noway:

Am I knitting incorrectly? Any ideas? Is this common? :help:

Lieke
05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Well, I think it's from pushing the needle, at least, that's what I do. If you work fast and for quite a long time, it can bruise. Just give it some rest and it'll get better or try to push less when you're knitting (that works for me)

Teeka
05-23-2007, 10:46 AM
yeah, I didn't even realize that I was pushing on the needle so much! Does everyone do that? Should we use thimbles or something? I've got a bandaid on it now, and that's helping. Thanks for your validation! :waving:

iza
05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I never had a bruise, but the tip of my finger can hurt. When it starts hurting I sometimes use my middle finger instead to push the needle, it's a bit awckward but at least it gives a rest to my index.

Braden
05-23-2007, 11:54 AM
It's probably the needle. Is the tip sharp? This happened to me with the Knit Picks Options when I first started using them. It never happened with the Addis, though, so that's probably why.

carmabelle1191
05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I actually broke my skin on my right index finger when I was using the Options. I have tried to stop the pushing the stitches off the needles, but I knit tightly so that's hard to do.

willowangel
05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I bought a box of really cheap plasters (band-aids) for when I'm knitting with smaller needles - they hurt a lot more than the others do. It happens more when I'm knitting tight as well, but I just keep the plasters in my knitting box. They're kids plasters and have fishes and balloons on them - I figured it'd make knitting more fun ;-)

Ingrid
05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I had that problem with some very thin needles--I must be consistant because I kept poking the same:!!!:spot on my finger. I used little bandaids, too.

Now I try to push a bit over to the side of the point--especially with the Options.

Teeka
05-24-2007, 08:48 AM
You know, the needles are Susan Bates, metal ones, and they are quite sharp. There aren't a lot of options here in Bogotá, or at least I haven't found the chic store with other brands of needles. The other options are plastic, some quite wimpy, and others ugly flat grey, blah (but they actually work quite well).

I'll be back in the States at teh end of July. What would you all recommend for a new knitter's basic needle requirements? :drool: