PDA

View Full Version : Picking dye colors

yarnfreak
05-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I must have no imagination! How do you decide which colors to dye your yarn/roving? Do you plan it out, or do you just let it happen? I always seem to end up with some form of pink. Not that I'm anti pink, but it's not really my color. LOL It doesn't matter what color I try to start out with, it ends up pink. Maybe it's a safe color. lol Anyway, I was looking at all of the beautiful yarns ya'll have done, and I was just curious how you came to the color combinations.

jeanius80
05-23-2007, 07:10 PM
what do you dye with?
i use wiltons (cause its cheap and i get a lot of use out of one little jar)
usually i know what colors i am trying to get, and i usually have an idea what i am using it for, but i dont really know how the colors will knit up- that part is going to be a big surprise :)

Leah22b
05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
This link has a pretty good article about mixing dyes and how to get different colors. I like to mix blues, greens and yellows.

Good Luck!

http://www.spindleandwheel.com/content/view/19/46/

yarnfreak
05-24-2007, 12:40 AM
I've used Kool Aid so far. I wanted to stock up on the Easter egg dye, and try that. Didn't happen. Thought about the Wiltons, but wasn't sure about it. I guess I just need to branch out and do it. I'm a big ole chicken, though. LOL

cheezelkat
05-24-2007, 01:08 AM
I use professional acid dyes and prefer to think about the finished objects - who is it for, when and where will it be worn, what is their personality?

I then choose colours that complement each other that I know will fit. I keep cool and warm colours separate. I've never had a dyeing job go too bad - I find even if it looks bad before setting the dye, once its knitted up its gorgeous.

Silver
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Lots of mine end up pink too, but that's because I LOVE pink. LOL

When I'm not doing a pink yarn, I pick a main color then just use some contrasting or complimentary colors to add more values. I basically just don't think about it and see what happens. I've yet to dye a yarn where I didn't like the results in some respect.

I'm a firm believer in letting color do its magic. Odd color combinations have a magical way of turning out beautiful when dying yarn. Purple and orange is one of my favorite "odd" combos. Green and pink is another favorite.

SandraEllen
05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't have any imagination either. I usually find some yarn online that i like and then i replicate the colors.
for example, this is the yarn that i dyed
http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/kaftan_and_pants.jpg
and below is the yarn that i copied.

Silver
05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
That is such a CUTE outfit!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Lady Violet
05-25-2007, 12:26 PM
that IS adorable! :inlove:

now if only i could knit it 10 times bigger... :rofling:

yarnfreak
05-27-2007, 04:16 PM
That's beautiful!