PDA

View Full Version : how does everyone store the stash ???

Doodknitwit
05-23-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm a newbie and wondered how everyone stores all their yarn.......
thanks.
doodknitwit

roxyquiksilver34
05-24-2007, 12:14 AM
I have 19+ of those 66 gal Rubbermaid totes filled with my stash, plus 3 laundry hampers and 7 collapsible baskets. I also have 10 XXL Ziploc bags filled with yarn related stuff. It's sad to say but I rent a 5x10 storage unit for what stash doesn't fit in my apartment. This also does not count what is in my car trunk or in my briefcase or purse.

cheezelkat
05-24-2007, 01:09 AM
I have a giant blanket bag DH got me to use...it always ends up in the floor when looking for that one ball of yarn though!

AnnaT
05-24-2007, 03:46 AM
I don't have much of a stash, but keep what I do have in a cute wicker basket. I have to keep it on a shelf because otherwise my cat will take every skein out of the basket. He doesn't play with them, just takes them out of the basket. :??

Lieke
05-24-2007, 04:32 AM
I don't have that much stash yet, so I store it in plastic bags, every brand of yarn in a different bag

sig
05-24-2007, 04:47 AM
I dont have much of a stash:pout:, but keep mine, in ziploc bags, with the patterns id choose for each one, in a big rubbermaid container. That way i can see exactly what i have. The only problem im having is with straigh needles, dont know where to put them!!! :??(i dont use them anymore...)
ps. ive seen some stash from the other members that are just amazing!!!:drool: they have rooms for it, and even use excell to keep track of their yarn!!!

Jax3303
05-24-2007, 06:59 AM
I've been destashing for the past year, and other than sock yarns, I've been buying only waht I need for a specific project. I'm down to one 18-gal rubbermaid storage bin. can't get the lid on it, but I'm down to one bin. I used to have 4.

turtlegirl76
05-24-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm one of those people with a stash that knitters point their husbands to and say "See? It could be worse." And this (http://turtlegirl76.com/2007/05/16/) is how I store it.

SimplyKaar
05-24-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm one of those people with a stash that knitters point their husbands to and say "See? It could be worse." And this (http://turtlegirl76.com/2007/05/16/) is how I store it.

:thud: :inlove:

I want to be you when I grow up! I love love love the setup of your study/crafts room; it looks so cosy and comfortable :heart:

sig
05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: im soooo jealous!!!! :thud: i whant your room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofling:

leedsfan
05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
My wool is stored in a big box under the stairs and my patterns are also in a box under the stairs.

jeanius80
05-24-2007, 10:07 AM
i use a craft cart with six or seven drawers. the top one has all my little notions and magazines, as well as ribbons. then i have four storage bins ( small ones :) ) and my sugar n cream cottons are on a shelf with my knitting books and pattern folder. i have a couple of small projects in my bag andsome skeins hanging to dry. i am now on a buying hiatus ('cept for the swap) untili get one large project done and a couple of socks :)

:doh:i forgot! i have a box on top of my cart that holds a bunchg of my acrylics for kiddie project, not pretty... its being replaced by a prettier basket :mrgreen:

photogirl12
05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I usually keep mine in Rubbermaid storage totes and various project bags. I have been destashing for about a month (can't believe that I haven't bought yarn in a month and I still have a pile of it!!! Beginning to wonder if it is going off and breeding somewhere!!).

BostonBecca
05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I have a giant rubbermaid storage bin that I cleaned out of all the other precious things and put what fits of my stash in there. I have the rest of my stash in a medium size shoulder suitcase. That's the stuff I am definately brining with me to the place I will be this summer. It's my goal to keep myself to that one bin. I have some knitting to do to get there.

photogirl12
05-24-2007, 11:02 AM

I am soooo jealous of your storage. Where did you find the yarn dispenser and the cubbies?? Mine is all in Rubbermaid totes and project bags.

MiaZilla
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
(can't believe that I haven't bought yarn in a month and I still have a pile of it!!! Beginning to wonder if it is going off and breeding somewhere!!).

Hmmmmmm.:think: Breeding yarn. That would explain a LOT. :teehee: :chair:

turtlegirl76
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
The "yarn dispenser" came from work. I work at a snack food company and we used to distribute the little shorty cans of Pringles. We don't any more so I liberated it for recycling since it was going to be thrown out otherwise. Works perfect for the sugar 'n creme! The cubbies are actually a giant bookcase from Ikea. It's the Expedit (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=11499).

threesmom
05-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Wow - just wow ... I can only hope to be like you one day, both in organization and quantity! :wink:

Currently I use 2 large wicker baskets I got at Ikea, which I try to tell my dh holds much less than they look like they should hold :teehee:, a rubbermaid rolling shelf thing, and a large cardboard box with blanket acrylics. There is a basket for current projects, my patterns are in a folder, except for the ones I jsut printed that haven't made it past this messy computer, and I use an old peanut butter jar for straights, which I dont really use anymore. Then there's the yarn I just don't like, but can't get rid of, because, its, well, yarn ...

jeanius80
05-24-2007, 11:28 AM
... I use an old peanut butter jar for straights, which I dont really use anymore. Then there's the yarn I just don't like, but can't get rid of, because, its, well, yarn ...
i feel the same way about these two large skeins of red heart acrylic ( you know, the 'super saver' skeins?? :ick: ) i don't use my straights much at all, they just hang out in a pretty pink vase :mrgreen:

nadja la claire
05-24-2007, 11:35 AM

Very nice but I think Ingrid has you beat. I like how you've organized your stash. I have a large wicker basket and a large plastic container and half a closet.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

turtlegirl76
05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh, but the storage is deceiving. This is my stash flashed (http://turtlegirl76.com/2007/04/01/). And keep in mind, this is BEFORE maryland sheep & wool. And that's not even all of it. But I did somehow fit it all into the Expedit.

orcoastknitter
05-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh, but the storage is deceiving. This is my stash flashed (http://turtlegirl76.com/2007/04/01/). And keep in mind, this is BEFORE maryland sheep & wool. And that's not even all of it. But I did somehow fit it all into the Expedit.

:passedout:

PaperGirl
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
:passedout: Whooooooa. :inlove:

cftwo
05-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I have just recently outgrown (outstashed??) a large rubbermaid-like plastic container (30 gallon size or so???). My GOAL is to use up something before I buy more, but I haven't been too disciplined lately.

misha rf
05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Turtlegirl76....I'm just....well...:passedout:

I've got most of mine in 3 45qt drawers & one large-ish plastic tub. I also have a little wicker basket next to my chair that holds WIPs and a few new skeins that I haven't gotten around to putting away yet.

turtlegirl76
05-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I feel the same way. My Credit Card company loves me. It's embarrassing sort of but when I walk into that room, all is right with the world.

jeanius80
05-24-2007, 04:14 PM

wow.:heart::shifty::heart:

Doodknitwit
05-24-2007, 04:24 PM
smart cookie!!

Doodknitwit
05-24-2007, 04:25 PM
wow I know now mine is not as gigantic as It could be...

turtlegirl76
05-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I like to keep my options open. Wanna knit socks? Sure! I have enough yarn for 100 pairs. Wanna knit a sweater? Sure! Got plenty of colors and fiber contents to choose from. Wanna knit lace? Gotcha covered. Wanna spin? Yup. Got that too.

Kaydee
05-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I keep mine in a large cloth kind of basket type thing. But then again my stash isn't too huge...although I'm beginning to outgrow my storage.

Markette
05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
I purchased a large wicker basket to keep in the living room, only to discover that it wouldn't hold all of my newbie stash. And then I remembered that, aside from some linens, the chest of drawers in the guest bedroom was empty. So now it holds 3 drawers of yarn (roughly segregated into sock yarn, upcoming projects, and random yarn/leftovers). The "upcoming projects" drawer is experiencing some spillover at the moment, so I'm eyeing the virtually empty smaller dresser in the closet of the same bedroom -- I just need to get DH to clear his stuff out from in front of it so I can get to it. My needles are either in my knitting bag (Options and DPNs) or in a desk drawer in the guest bedroom (Needlemaster and straights), and my ball-winder is clamped to the desk. Unfortunately, the overhang on the desk isn't deep enough to clamp my swift on, so I have to kind of hold the swift with one hand and crank the ball-winder with the other. I also use the twin bed in that room to block my FOs.

Now that I think of it, I may clear out that closet this weekend to make room for my sewing machine and more yarn and just take that bedroom over completely. It's always been my favorite room in the house.

We also have some built-in cabinets in the hall that I could leak into, but I really hope it won't get to that point.

Quiltlady
05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I have a medium size armoire that is full of yarns. But I'm starting to outgrow it. I think this weekend I will be organizing my stash better. I have a nice stash of baby yarns that I want to stack together. Wish me luck!:cheering:

nsavage
05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Currently for my really big project for my dad I am using a plastic grocery bag to hold the yarn I am not using yet (it is in my bedroom closet). A really big bag from Hobby Lobby for my Yarn Bee Soft Delight yarn in black and a smaller bag for the purple color of the same brand and style that is kept in the larger bag (it is in an unfinished wooden box that I am making in my living room). There really isn't any room in our apartment for me to store any of my stash (and to think I am telling my hubby that I NEED more yarn and accessories :teehee:)

brokenblossoms
05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I have everything piled into a basket next to my knitting chair.

knitwit88
05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
big drawer

Miss Moosey
05-24-2007, 07:26 PM
I keep everything I am not currently using in plastic bins under my bed.

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 09:56 PM
My stash is in bags, storage containers, boxes, and baskets in my craft room.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/355598327_10868cef05.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/354493922_714314b16b.jpg

But Ingrid's stash has EVERYONE beat.

misstialouise
05-25-2007, 12:08 AM
I have a small 'cheap' Kmart version of the Expedit that I'm currently trying to stuff my stash into. I'm hoping to make it purdy enough that DH will let me keep it in the loungeroom (or maybe upgrade to a small Expedit that matches the furniture in our loungeroom).

I'm trying to be loyal to the Ziplock bag thingy, but my stash seems to explode every time I think of starting a new project.

Dangles
05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
What a nice way to stash the stash.

hydeemarie
05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
He doesn't play with them, just takes them out of the basket. :??
:lol: When a piece of acrylic yarn ends up on my floor, my cat will eat it.. :think:

Eloewien
05-26-2007, 10:37 AM
As of last week- it's in a 4-drawer dresser... that's completely full :)

knittingmama
05-26-2007, 10:49 AM
A couple of large Rubbermaid boxes and several smaller rubbermaid boxes that hold different projects or types of yarn.

KnitNut
05-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I have stash left over from when I crocheted. It's all in a jumble in two or three big Rubbermaid storage bins. Now that I'm knitting, I'm in the process of straightening it out and sorting it by color and type into zip lock bags, which will then go back into the storage bins. This way I can know quickly what I have and how much of it when I start a new project. I'm still buying yarn, of course, too much temptation out there. But I also want to put this old yarn to good use.

1knittychick
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
3 drawer chest (plastic) from Wal-Mart--stuffed with pretty yarn.

ArtLady1981
05-27-2007, 02:47 PM
wowwwo!

I totally loved viewing Turtlegirls "FLASH YOUR STASH" photos!

IMHO, when your Stash is S.A.B.L.E...I think it is of the utmost importance to KNOW YOUR STASH well, skein, hank, and ball!

I finally created an Excel YARN STASH spreadsheet...and wow-wee...it has already proved to be of assistance to me. Without having to rummage and pillage through my STASH HIDEOUTS...I was able to access by YARN STASH information...and it told me exactly what and where I had additional worsted weight acrylic yarns for a granddaughter's crazy quilt afghan I began on vacation last week!

I THOUGHT 8 skeins of Stash Red Heart would be enough yarn for 63-7"x7" squares. Hmmmph. Not so. I am only getting about 4-6 squares per skein.

Two clicks...and VOILA...I learned that I indeed have 11 additional skeins of similar weight and fiber, the colors, the yardage...and MOST IMPORTANT...exactly where they are hiding out!! No more rummaging!

Actually, previous to the YARN STASH spreadsheet, I had forgotten I had these particular yarns! Sound familiar? They were buried in a large wicker trunk!

If anyone would like to receive a copy of my Excel YARN STASH spreadsheet (with some of my data left in so you can see how I use the spreadsheets)...send me an direct email. A direct email can be sent to me by clicking my face over there...migrating to my profile page...and my direct email address is there. For your subject line, put YARN STASH SPREADSHEET REQUEST...and I will attach the Excel Spreadsheet to a return email direct to your email inbox.

BTW: MY YARN TOTALS? 948 SKEINS/HANKS/BALLS equaling 123,132 total yards.

Truly S.A.B.L.E-icious!! (Stash Acquistion Beyond Life Expectancy)

Andrea
05-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I just bought this at IKEA today. Haven't put it together yet...

Right now I have them in a whole bunch of different containers, really no rhyme or reason. This however, will proudly be on display in my spare bedroom!

Shandeh
05-27-2007, 07:39 PM
:cheering:

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Love the Expedit!! :D Once we get other redecoration done, I'll be campaigning for one of those myself :D

Momma_Jo
05-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I have this big laundry basket from Jysk - it's a woven basket with a lid (I need a lid to keep the cats out). However, I think I'll be picking up some more furniture soon, including something in where to store the yarn, because the basket have overfloweth.:shifty: