PDA

View Full Version : OT shade garden

ctmax
05-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I am looking for perennials, ferns, and shrubs that will grow in shade. Some of it would be in deep shade. I now of hostas, bleeding heart, and astilbe but would like a little more selection. We are developing a new property could use any advice for plant selection. :muah:

misha rf
05-24-2007, 09:28 PM
What zone are you in?

Here's a link for some (not all were ones you mentioned):

http://www.catalogs.com/info/garden-yard/10-best-shade-plants.html

I've noticed the rhododendrons & mountain laurel doing well in the shade where I live. I've also seen some pretty ferns, but I'm not sure what kind they were.

We were just at Home Depot & I was bemoaning the fact that, now that I've got a sunny yard, I'm seeing all these pretty little shade plants!!!

psammeadred
05-24-2007, 10:04 PM
You could always do what my mom is doing and plant 150314864358163295631740731 varieties of hosta (http://www.hostalibrary.org/). She knows the variety names and everything! I'm not a huge fan, but when they're dense and green, they make lovely ground cover.

Others we have in the shade: hydrangeas, rhododendrons, Solomon's Seal, and ferns.

christine
05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
My front gardens are shade, so I try use different colors of green and textures. I have 8 different kinds of hostas varying from a mint like green to varigated, small to large leafed. I also have different kinds of ferns--small and large. They have different textures. I also have sweet woodruff that I love, but it spreads and spreads. I have some lily of valley that does okay and tulips that do okay.

I fill in with annuals like begonias for the birght color, impatiens in mass, and coleus. Right know I have about 6 different varieties that I found a Walmart. I plan to dig up and try to keep them over the winter.

ctmax
05-24-2007, 11:21 PM
sorry I forgot to mention I am in zone 3, so it has to be quit winter hardy. There were a few mentioned I have not heard of so I want to look them up. I have already bought 3 hostas and 2 astilbe, and 24 impatients, but it is a large area to fill. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. :hug:

AnaK
05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
You can plant few things this year. Hostas spread so next year you can divide them and have double. Bleading hearts are beatifull in pink and white. I got some at costco and they are doing very well.

GennyLynn1962
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
I have a fully shaded yard too. I have hostas (of course) and English Ivy, but watch if you plant it, it will cover the ground but also the trees which is a bad thing. Vinca is another ground cover, it takes a bit to get started but it goes quickly after that. As for flowers, I have problems with that too. I like Lilly of the Valley, and I also fill in with annuals each year.

Good luck.

christine
05-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I would contact your county extention or the Master Gardeners in your area for ideas. Zone 3 gets pretty cold in the winter. I am in Zone 5 and sometimes we get below 0 for several days, but not like you.

I would be sure to cover your plants with good mulch in the winter to protect them.

Also, I would wait a few year before dividing your hostas. I love mine when they are huge. They cover more space. I have had mine in the ground for couple of years.

Some of my ferns have a diameter of 4 feet across. It has taken years, but . . . fill in with impatiens and mulch iwth small bark to give a finished look.

You might want to place some larger decorative rocks and plant around them.

Christine