PDA

View Full Version : What music do you listen to while knitting

leedsfan
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I listen to Feeder(my favorite band)Ten Sharp,Zucchero,Snow Patrol and Depeche Mode and lots more.

scubasinger
05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm old...I listen to a lot of stuff from the Great American Songbook genre: Sinatra, Ella, Dinah Washington, etc. I have TONS of music in iTunes so I just kick it off on random play and see what comes up.

I also love audiobooks. I'm in the middle of listening to Dickens' "Oliver Twist" at the moment.

Braden
05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I listen to a Reba McEntire or Dolly Parton CD.

debinoz
05-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I usually listen to whatever is blasting out from the kid's rooms... sometimes it gets so bad I can't tell who is playing what. :gah: One is on a Green Day kick, another listens to hard rock and country and the other listens to classic rock. It's all good!

vaknitter
05-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I listen to a soundtrack called My Crazy House :rofl: If you've never heard it then you need 2 dogs that are 11yrs apart in age, a husband that watches American Choppers and Biker Buildoff, a large fish tank that younger of said dogs likes to growl and bark at, and neighbors with a 4 wheeler and fireworks (yup I live in the country).:cheering:

And my family wonders why I'm so excited about vacation !!

geekgolightly
05-25-2007, 11:35 AM
lately ive been listening to josh ritter, the stooges, can, and gwen stefani depending on my mood

Jax3303
05-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Lately I've been on a green day and amy winehouse kick.

Braden
05-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Now I sound old. :roflhard:

jodstr2
05-25-2007, 12:25 PM
if someone's watching tv and I'm sitting on the couch, I use my iPod. usually it's surf guitar or mellow electronic stuff like Ursula 1000 or Thievery Corp. if I can use the radio channels on the tv, it's usually the new agey mellow stuff, '80s, or electronic.

Sara
05-25-2007, 12:35 PM
These have all been played in my house in the last few days: U2, the Police, Yaz, Echo and the Bunnymen, Del Amitri, Bela Fleck's classical banjo album, Dean Martin, Elvis Costello, opera, art song, a fabulous album that has a compilation of movements from Masses by Mozart and others, the Pogues, the Pixies, the Beatfarmers, B-52, the soundtrack from O Brother, Where Art Thou?, the list goes on and on...:shrug:

And then there's 17yo DD and her iPod, playing the newer alternative stuff when she gets home from school.:happydance:

Virtuella
05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Im listening to whatever the DJ at the local radiostation is playing!

Chel
05-25-2007, 12:45 PM
David Gray

Lady Violet
05-25-2007, 12:56 PM
sometimes i have a period film playing in the background, usually something like jane austen or the newest little women. i love the music in those films. the other night when little women finished and went back to the menu, i just listened to the short clip of music playing over and over! fyi...that song (the "theme" of little women) is the one playing in the trailer for becoming austen! i'm sure there will be PLENTY of knitting inspiration in that movie. :happydance:

syndactylus
05-25-2007, 01:02 PM
been listening to bjork's and jarvis' new albums.
and post-punk bouncy music, the jacques dutronc & brel, brian jonestown massacre.
I knit faster to adam ant.

AnnaT
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
For knitting I like all Jethro Tull, all Led Zeppelin, Circulus, The Eighteenth Day of May, Blackmore's Night, late Beatles (sometimes).

PaperGirl
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
My Chemical Romance, Def Leppard, Green Day, Bucky Covington, Daughtry...Fall Out Boy...

And thats just when I have the iPod on.

Nobones
05-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Pink Floyd. Snow Patrol and a lot of Blues.

Virtuella
05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Justin Timberlake at the moment - What goes around comes around, hi hi, and I am knitting, around and around.

Quiltlady
05-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I watch tv while I knit. But while I work on my quilts I listen to music ALL the time. My favorites are ...IL Divo, Josh Groban, Rod Sewart singing the oldies and Barry Manilow.:cheering:

PaperGirl
05-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I loves me some Barry. Hes awesome.

knottyknitter
05-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I listen to Johnny Lang, or Pete Yorn.

Vendie
05-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm currently obsessed with The Decemberists. I could just listen to them for weeks on end.

If it's not music, then I'm listening to podcasts or audio books.

hydeemarie
05-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I've actually never listened to plain music while knitting. I have always watched TV. Maybe i should try it! :think:

psammeadred
05-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I listen to Accuradio (http://www.accuradio.com)- the Celtic, Classical, Broadway, or Pop Standards channels.

knittingmama
05-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I listen to a series of 5 cd's in the changer. Alan Jackson hymns, Randy Travis hymns, Cedarmont Kids worship, my Aunts band's cd Schoonertime bluegrass music, and a Veggie Tales cd. :)

KnittingNat
05-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, knitting is my relaxation, so i don't listen to any music, but enjoy the silence (he-he, I like Depeche Mode too)...Knitting means i'm done with chores, the pets are sleeping all over and don't bother me by playing with my knitting... But when i do listen to music while knitting, that would be Beatles, russian music (nostalgic stuff) and oldies like Ella Fitzgerald, Sara Vaughan...Oh, and Cesaria Evora... But that's for knitting, other activities have other music :happydance:

Stiney
05-26-2007, 12:59 PM
In no particular order, a sampling of my iTunes Library:

Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, The Decemberists, death cab for cutie, Ella Fitzgerald, Elliott Smith, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Brendan Benson, the Raconteurs, the White Stripes, Madeleine Peyroux, Billie Holiday, Green Day (except for the last two albums :ick:) Cat Power, Citizen Cope, Ray LaMontagne, Harvey Danger, Iron & Wine, Guster, Amos Lee, Al Jarreau, Jimi Hendrix, Cake, Rufus Wainwright, Postal Service, Soul Coughing, Mike Doughty, Spoon, Ben Taylor Band, Incubus, Goldfrapp, the Clash, Afghan Whigs, Low, Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley, etc.

:shifty:

carmabelle1191
05-26-2007, 01:46 PM
I usually listen to classic rock (Q104.3, for those of you near me). It gets me in a good mood.

Aquaria
05-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Look at my signature!:thumbsup:

I usually listen to piano musics, they calm me down while knitting and make me happy while knitting.:)

I also listen to jazz piano musics, the relaxing improv kinds :wink:

Mommy22alyns
05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Right now I'm a baseball knitter! I settle in on the couch with some knitting and a Braves game... pure bliss. :heart:

SabrinaJL
05-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I listen to mostly rock/metal while knitting. Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, NIN, Papa Roach, Crossfade, Flyleaf, Disturbed, Rob Zombie, Deftones, P.O.D., Nickelback, Hurt, etc... Helps me knit faster.

feministmama
05-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Internet radio station on my iTunes called Groove Salad:heart:

1knittychick
05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I knit to TV--reruns of Law and Order (especially w/Chris Noth:heart:), Reba, anything on TVLand--love the oldies. I do have Bon Jovi on my MP3 player, along with Nickelback, Daughtry, Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice.

jodstr2
05-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Internet radio station on my iTunes called Groove Salad:heart:

:cheering:Groove Salad rocks! :cheering:

wildflower38
05-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Somafm's Groove Salad :heart:, knitting podcasts and Rhapsody

segundoloteian
05-29-2007, 01:00 PM
I listen to a lot of jazz--anything from Miles Davis to Louis & Ella, The Seatbelts or Medeski, Martin & Wood and oh-so-much-more.

When I feel like singing (when I'm ALONE) I'll put on some Radiohead, Jamie Cullum, Incubus, Sister Hazel, Postal Service, etc. Occasionally, after a tough day, I'll turn up the ska and punk perhaps too loudly...:rollseyes:

I also rewatch movies and TV shows compulsively while knitting--usually Pride & Prejudice or Firefly.

Stiney
05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I looooove Radiohead! :heart: They were my first concert ever! :cheering:

Carmabelle..."Arbitron rated 1 for classic rock." :teehee:

Do you get 107.1 The Peak where you are? It's based out of White Plains. They play a great mix of stuff...lots of classic rock and rare tracks, plus new music. I enjoy them muchly. I seem to recall you living in South Jersey, though, and I think they fade out around Hackensack.

Jan in CA
05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't listen to anything unless the TV is on. I like the quiet. :shrug:

enthusiastic novice
05-29-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd just like peace and quiet, but I get a variation on the 'Crazy House' soundtrack here too.

carmabelle1191
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
I looooove Radiohead! :heart: They were my first concert ever! :cheering:

Carmabelle..."Arbitron rated 1 for classic rock." :teehee:

Do you get 107.1 The Peak where you are? It's based out of White Plains. They play a great mix of stuff...lots of classic rock and rare tracks, plus new music. I enjoy them muchly. I seem to recall you living in South Jersey, though, and I think they fade out around Hackensack. I actually live in Northern NJ, and my dad and I listen to 107.1 a lot in the car because it plays a lot of music that we "agree on". It does sometimes get fuzzy though when we're next to trees and such.

Stiney
05-29-2007, 02:32 PM
My mom doesn't mind the Peak too much, but usually we put on Q104 because we agree on more of what they play. And if my brother is home, he insists on Q104. I swear, he was born 40 years too late. :roll: :teehee: I usually listen to the iPod when I'm in my car. I am gonna miss the Peak and Q104 when I'm in Boston...guess it's back to WZBC.

nadja la claire
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't listen to any music in particular. I guess it depends on my mood. For the most part I listen to my local NPR station, but when I want music I listen to South or Central American music if I want or need to knit quickly and French Cabaret music or maybe some Mozart if my knitting is more leisurely.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

carmabelle1191
05-29-2007, 08:33 PM
And if my brother is home, he insists on Q104. I swear, he was born 40 years too late. :roll: :teehee:
Same here.:waving:I think music was so much better back in the 60s-late 70s than it is today. I would rather listen to classic rock than all that pop/rap stuff that's popular for a few weeks at a time and then forgotten.
But that's just me.:teehee:

REVS
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Audiobooks!
I alternate between the "No 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series with Lisette Lecat and "The Cat who..." series with George Guidall.
The "People's history of the United States" has been in there as well and I'm thinking to add a series of Economics Lectures next...

heiyeshb
08-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Hip Hop mostly R&B or Gospel or sometimes Classic Etta James either my personal collection or the radio.

shadowfox118
08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I tend to listen to lets plays of horror or action games when I knit, for some reason which I don't even know

Tntgin4118
08-18-2012, 05:48 PM
The background music depends on my mood and what else is going on. Sometimes its soft jazz (Richard Eliot or Kenny G), sometimes is a sounds of nature kind of thing (Distant Thunder or Ocean Waves). I've also been known to do Classic Country, Phantom of the Opera, Margaritaville/Buffet stuff, CCR or random 50's, 60's and 70's. To say my musical taste is eclectic is kind of an understatement :woohoo:

Now that is approaching Fall, I shall knit to NFL at every opportunity.

Daylilydayzed
08-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't have music on while knitting due to daughter who works night shifts and sleeps during day. Thankfully she has moved her bed back into the bed room now that the darn loft bed is out of there. Grandson needs some one keeping an eye on him in that bedroom because he goes into things he has no business messing around with.
But if I did listen to music while knitting, it would be old country like Jim Reeves, Charlie Pride , Charlie Rich , Blackhawk, George Strait, Conway Twitty and other old country artists. The current crop of country music is not country enough for me. I don't even listen to he country radio station any more because all they play is the new stuff that sounds like pop music to me. I will be doing a lot of knitting closer to Christmas because I have a couple of items I want to knit to donate to a Daylily Convention I will be going to in 2014. Intend to make something for both a man and a woman so that more money can be brought in to support the AHS since I am a member of it.

Jan in CA
08-18-2012, 11:17 PM
I tend to listen to lets plays of horror or action games when I knit, for some reason which I don't even know

I know why... you're 16. :lol: I don't listen to music while knitting, but I turn on the TV to some old show that I can listen to w/o having to pay to much attention. If I want to watch a clip I just stop and rewind that part.

insanenewknitter
08-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I rarely listen to music when I knit, if I do it's been classical and folk, the Von Trapp Family Singers. (And yes, the REAL Von Trapps, not the Sound of Music soundtrack, although occasionally that is in too.)
If I feel like music when I'm knitting I'll just sing myself, Josh Groban, and Colin Ray, Glen Campbell, John Denver, old stuff before my time. :)
I'll sometimes watch TV series when I knit, I Love Lucy, Road to Avonlea, The Brady Bunch. Last night, I watched a movie in Spanish, it wasn't dubbed in English, so reading the subtitles and knitting was a little difficult. :teehee:

nonny2t
08-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Since I am an old lady, I like 60's music, but I usually watch tv or listen to an audio book when I knit. I am a freak for Harry Potter books, but I use them to make me fall asleep since I know them so well I can recite the book in parts. I love **** Francis and will listen to his books over and over, like Robert B Parker Spenser character books too. A few months ago, I downloaded some young person's books written by John Grisham and they were wonderful. Like Jan, I usually turn the tv onto something I have seen before so I can listen to it, but not have to watch it as I am not talented enough to knit without looking.

Arielluria
08-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Gospel & Messianic....with the occasional 80's & 70's favorites.

Rorshach
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
I usually listen to Hilary Stagg, which usually puts my wife to sleep. Extremely relaxing.

flhusker
08-28-2012, 08:19 AM
It usually depends on where I'm at. If at home I sort of listen to whatever hubby has on the TV. Our TV is one most of the time mainly as noise as I don't think either one of us really watches it.

If I am taking care of the grandkids (2 and 5) at their house. I listen to the book that I have on my I-Pod when I put them down for their "rest". It gives me somewhere between 45 minutes and and hour before they are up and going again.

flhusker

nanasaidso
08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I listen to old time radio shows. There's a vast array of shows of all types available on line. I like the old mysteries best.

cocou
12-16-2013, 02:38 AM
I'd like to knit with Lorde - pure heroine
It's my new fav found in www.live4mmo.com (http://www.live4mmo.com)
For someone who havn't heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAi9zD7bTKU

gtrickett
12-31-2013, 03:15 AM
It may sound like a joke, but when I listen to music while knitting it's usually metalcore or screamo like Underoath or Demon Hunter. But I've got mellow in the itunes mix too. ;)

sapnabanerjee
03-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I watch television while knitting:knitting: , I don't listen music. But sometimes I listen pop and rock:cheering: :woohoo: songs.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I also listen to Old Time Radio. I was only a few years old when they stopped broadcasting those shows. I asked my mother why they did. She said it was because television was becoming more popular. But I'm discovering those old shows for the first time. My favorites are Nero Wolf and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. Love detective shows. Otrnow.com has a webcast where they run various detective shows back to back on Athena365. If you want to choose your individual shows, here's a site. The site has a silly name and strange categories,but the OTR one is legit.

http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/

adichappo
03-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I prefer to have the TV on when I knit - as long as it's not something i need to pay too much attention too. Also, musical movies are nice. I put on the live recording of RENT the other day while knitting, but unfortunately i was singing along so much I purled when I should have knitted one line :doh: LOL