PDA

View Full Version : designing a pattern?

FloridaGirl
05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I have an idea for a friend but I don't know how to make it happen.

I want to make him a pie chart throw.

Problem is, I'm a beginner and I've never knitted in the round. And how do you make the edges rounded if you do individual pieces then sew them together?

I've looked at pinwheels but the diiferent colors would be curved instead of straight. Or so it looks to me that way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

cam90066
05-25-2007, 03:50 PM
You might want to look at this is general concept.

http://creativegal42.blogspot.com/2006/09/circle-part-ii.html

Not sure that helps. My sense is that short rows would be your best bet...would allow you to make the 'slices' different sizes. Check knitty.com for a tut on SRs. They're quite easy and you could practice on swatch.

cam

FloridaGirl
05-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Oooooh, Cam! Thank You so much! That is perfect! I googled all over the place but never came across this one! I have printed and bookmarked.

You my dear, are da bomb! ;-)

cam90066
05-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Glad that was along the lines of what you were thinking. If done in stockinette, you could duplicate stitch on each 'slice' if you intended they represent a specific percentage (if you're going for detail!)...which isn't represented by each piece being the same size as in the orig pattern. For instance, you could indicate 10% on one color, 25% on another, 18% on another. (If that was something your original concept would've included.) Dupe stitch is very easy (akin to embroidery/cross-stitch...if you're familiar with those). Just map out the letters/numbers on knitting graph paper (several free sources online) so all characters are scaled appropriately.

cam