PDA

View Full Version : Confused by terms not found in glossary

mornnen
05-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi :waving:

I am looking at differnt tank/shell/cami patterns and am finding terms I am not familiar with.

First of all, what is meant by "ease" of a pattern? I read one pattern and it even used the term zero ease and another used negative ease. What is up with that?:??

Second, what is meant by the fabric or yarn having drape? Do all fabrics have drape?

And as a more general question, how will I know if a yarn is 'light worsted'?

Thanks,

Julie

Braden
05-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Ease is how loose the garment is.

Drape is how the yarn and the knitted fabric lie.

Light worsted is basically just worsted weight. Use any worsted weight you can get your hands on.

Hope that helps!

Ingrid
05-25-2007, 08:10 PM
If you want a garment to stretch as it fits you, then you want negative ease, zero ease is when it just fits, more ease will give you a looser fit.

redwitch
05-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Yep. Lots of negative ease means it is way smaller and will be very stretched or tight-fitting on you. Zero ease means it is exactly the same size as you are. Lots of ease means it is quite loose on you. Think of ease as meaning 'extra space/bigger-than-youness'.

A fabric with lots of drape is one that's very flowy. Every fabric will have some ease unless it is actually stiff like, you know, cardboard. A fabric knitted on needles that are too small for it is going to be stiff and not flow over your shape. So it might not be best for a flattering top. Sometimes you might want a stiffer fabric though.

On the other hand if you knit wool on HUGE needles you will get something like a net and very floppy, and can't hold its own shape at all. This is very drapey.

Sarah

Rorshach
05-26-2007, 04:38 AM
Well, as far as light worsted weight goes, I've seen sport weight also listed as light worsted.