PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Our Dog Has Passed

Mrs. Columbo
05-27-2007, 10:44 AM
We had two Bullmastiffs ... Kona would have been 2 in June and Kyro will be 2 in Nov. We lost our Bull Terrier Willow in Sept with bladder stones. She was over 9. I had brought her from NL with me when I moved here.

In April Kona developed urine crystals so we changed her food and put her on antibiotics. She was 10 lbs overweight, not for a Bullmastiff but for her body size. She had some labored breathing, we thought it was due to her being overweight. Alanna and I went to NL for ten days and we boarded her and Kyro. With exercise she lost 6 lbs. She continued to be relatively upbeat but then the past week she could not go upstairs without puffing and panting, even at rest. She could still eat but would not go walking. She could not find a comfortable position to lie down and she would sit like a horse, on her tailbone with her front legs in between them and her back legs flopped open this past week. We took her for blood on Thurs and nothing showed up. Yesterday morning I took her in for a heart x ray and there was so much fluid around it the vet could barely see the heart and told me that she was in congestive heart failure. I did suspect heart because she was exhibiting the same symptoms as my mom had. We decided to have her put to sleep because CHF is a time bomb. You don't know when it will strike. We could not face bringing her home knowing that she was in such distress, she had to be stress free and would be on medication for life, the diuretics would make her pee every 15 minutes, she could not do stairs. CHF is not curable, only treatable for a time, until your time runs out, basically you are stroking off days on a calendar. Because of getting this at a young age her life span was automatically shortened by years. She could have had one month, one year or one day. As sad as we are, we know that she is no longer unhappy and in distress. Our vet said that in Chinese medicine the heart is the organ of joy and happiness. When one grieves in sadness, this can bring on heart failure. Kona never got over her friend Willow's passing last September.

Toby

Jeremy
05-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.:hug::pout:

Nobones
05-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm so sorry you lost your friend. Take comfort in knowing what you did was best for her.

Take care x

HollyP
05-27-2007, 10:53 AM
What a difficult decision that must have been for you. I am very sorry for your loss!:crying:

beckyrhae
05-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh Mrs. Columbo... I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

There is alot to be said about dogs not recovering from loss, When my ex lost our chocolate lab (4) he was out with our mutt Sadie. She was 15+, blind, almost deaf and she got hit by a car. My ex found them both and when they did a necropsy on the lab they found no signs of trama so my vet guessed that he witnessed the accident and it tramatized him so much his little heart just gave out.
This was only weeks after our divorce was final and we sat and cried for hours together.

Carla1019
05-27-2007, 11:12 AM
:hug::hug:

I love dogs.. So sorry to hear about you lose.:hug:

Ronda
05-27-2007, 11:15 AM
:hug:I'm so sorry.

bailsmom
05-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh Mrs. C., I am so very sorry for your terrible loss. I wish I could give you a hug. Life is just so not fair. Yes, you did do the right thing, he is no longer suffering and is at peace. The hardest decisions are the right ones, but that doesn't make it any easier on you.

I am so so sorry. :cry: :cry:

bailsmom
05-27-2007, 11:46 AM
What a beautiful boy.

KnittingNat
05-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry!!! It's such a pity dogs don't live as long as we do...

Jan in CA
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm so sorry. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet. :pout:

:hug::hug::hug:

mks22300
05-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your dog. :hug:

nuknitter
05-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm so sorry about your dogs - I can feel your sadness. You obviously cared and didn't want to see Kuno suffering - I can tell she was much loved, as was were your other dogs.

dustinac
05-27-2007, 01:43 PM
:hug:

nadja la claire
05-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug: She was so young. Losing a pet can be so difficult especially because our society sees pets as property and not sentient beings so when a beloved friend dies people comment on how sad it is and then say "Well it's just a dog, you can get another." As if they're all the same.

As hard as it was to put her down you did the right thing. It's so awful to watch any creature suffer. We're here with you. :grphug: :grphug: :grphug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Braden
05-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm so sorry for you.

ArtLady1981
05-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi Mrs. Columbo!

So so so sorry to hear about your beloved pets!

We, too, lost a MASTIFF at an early age. He had renal failure caused by a heart issue.

Hogan was only 4. We ended his lackluster existence as soon as the diagnosis was made. However, his lack of appetite, weightloss, and tendency to get wobbly had carried on for a couple months. Started with weightloss and lack of appetite. We didn't know what to think at first. The wobbly-ness manifested if he had to walk up our driveway. It was just too much for his heart. We couldn't figure it out. Finally, he would not eat anything save for his favorite thing: bread, and pancakes w/ butter and syrup, handfed! (the renal failure makes them sick to their stomache, and they just don't feel like eating)

After his euthanization, we called the breeder...she likes to be kept abreast of her dogs. She said Mastiff's have the :heart:HEART to please:heart: ....AND THIS "HEART" supercedes their ABILITY to please. She said he was indeed suffering, but in his desire to love us...he just forced himself, pushed himself, to get up and come to us. We felt so bad we had not taken him for tests and bloodwork at the first sign something was "off".

This was our first experience with a young dog, any dog, becoming terminally ill with something like this. It is shocking how many dogs suffer from heart issues, etc. at such a young age.

You handled your pet's situation very well. You were his true friend to the end!:hug:

Since Hogan's loss, we have had the unfortunate loss of two elderly dogs...in 2003, our 13 yr old Shih Tzu, Teddy Bear...then in 2005 our 15 yr old Llasa Apso, Emily. Cancer.

After diagnosis, we carefully monitored their quality of life on a daily basis. As soon as the quality was gone, we were their true friend, and let them off the hook. Because they were small dogs, my DH made me little doggy coffins for the day... and let me bring them home and lay them to rest on our property. When we move to Eastern Washington at retirement, he said he would move them for me, too. That will be their final resting place.

After Teddy Bear passed, we allowed Emily to be the "only child"...which she LOVED! We had originally added her to our family first, whereas Teddy Bear was a 3 yr old rescue dog we added to our family a few years later. By her reaction when he left us: "Bear? Bear who?"...I don't think she ever appreciated sharing me with him. She took up following me from room-to-room... something he always did. She happily took over where Teddy Bear left off!

After both little dogs had passed...Katie came into my life. AN AMAZING THING HAS HAPPENED: Katie has taken on the qualities of Teddy Bear and Emily rolled into one small, furry package! She is MY THERAPY DOG! And I know she loves her life with us! (and our 3 big dogs: the St Bernard, and the 2 Treeing Walker Coonhounds)! Shih Tzus are such a BIG DOG in a SMALL PACKAGE...and incredibly good with any little kids in general! I never have to worry when children want to love on her, whether at home or away.
MEET KATIE!

DragonTush
05-27-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm sorry Mrs. Columbo. I know that was a hard decision. I know I'm just a stranger on the internet but I think you made the right decision.

He was a handsome boy.

1knittychick
05-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm so sorry about your loss. My boys lost both their dogs last year and our vet sent them a poem entitled "Rainbow Bridge". Here's a link when you feel like reading it.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

nadja la claire
05-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm so sorry about your loss. My boys lost both their dogs last year and our vet sent them a poem entitled "Rainbow Bridge". Here's a link when you feel like reading it.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Thank you for posting this. It made me cry though, because as I read I thought of my beloved beagle Marie.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

willowangel
05-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss - it's heartwrenching losing a beloved pet. I hope you can find some comfort in this tough time :hug:

HamaLee
05-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm so sorry :verysad:, she's beautiful. I love big, gorgeous, sweetheart dogs.

You did the right thing, hard as it is. It's just heartbreaking when our pets get old/sick and give us those pathetic sad eyes...just begging us to help them. It hurts so much when putting them down is the best way to help them, but there comes a time for each animal when that is the answer. I'm sorry it came so soon with Kona.

Sometimes I cry just thinking about having to make that decision 10+ years from now (barring illness/injury) for Cooper.

knit-errant
05-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.:hug:

threesmom
05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm so sorry for your lose ... I've had dogs my whole life, and it's always the same pain when they pass. I still miss one I had probably 15 years ago. But you did the right thing - Kuno didn't deserve to suffer. I hope you find some comfort and supports during this time.:verysad:

jcmom
05-27-2007, 04:58 PM
So sorry for you. We've been there and it's never easy. Take care and thanks for sharing your story. :hug:

momwolf
05-27-2007, 05:54 PM
It is probably the hardest decision dog owners have to make.:crying: I am glad you made the decision you made for the well being of you pet.
Isn't it such a relief to know the pet we love is no longer suffering?I know you have a heavy heart right now, but with time you will heal.And you do have the other dog to help with the loss.Hope the sadness leaves you with all of the good thoughts of your beloved Kyro.:hug:

misha rf
05-27-2007, 10:46 PM
It's never an easy decision to make, but you made the right one. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Curly_Toot
05-28-2007, 01:53 AM
reading this made me cry too, in March i lost one of my cats - missy, she was hit by a car and died on the way to the vets.

i still miss her as i know you will still miss Kona

nittineedles
05-28-2007, 02:45 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. We just had our Nicky put to sleep on May 8th. She was 17 years old and in failing health. So sad.

HamburgKnitter
05-28-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I just recently lost my cat of almost 20 years to chronic renal failure and I know how hard it is to lose a loved pet. :hug:

melissa.atkins
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
I am so sorry for your loss... I believe dogs are four legged humans. I am sure he is watching over you and all your family... :hug: Just think of all the happy moments you two spent together, I am sure there are lots!! ;)

cookworm
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy (all dogs are "puppies" to me, regardless of age ;-))...what a cutie!

We just lost our dog about 2 weeks ago. We had her over 10 years, and I was really devastated, especially since the end for her wasn't easy. She was blind for a few years now, had diabetes, and we're pretty sure she had cancer too. Her back legs were giving out on her now and then too from arthritis. We knew that it was getting close to her time, but nothing truly prepares you for when it happens. We had kind of hoped that when it was her time, she'd pass away quietly in her sleep, but instead, she had some kind of blood sugar related incident that left her with brain damage. She wouldn't eat or drink (I suppose she didn't even know how with the brain damage), something the vet said she'd probably never recover from if they were able to do some intensive work on her (basically, she'd be a vegetable), and she got dehydrated. She couldn't stand on her legs, either. Worst of all, she would cry a bit now and then so I knew she was having some pain during all of this (even though the vet insisted that she didn't even know what was going on and didn't feel any pain), but there was nothing to do for her that could help her or bring her back out of that brain damage. :waah: How can you help a dog with brain damage that doesn't understand the concept of eating or drinking??? The worst part about all of this, was that she was the very best dog I've ever owned I think, and I've grown up with dogs my whole life. She grew up with my son (we got her when he was 2, and now he's a teenager) and was around before my middle daughter was born (she's a preteen). I just couldn't imagine life without her being here, because as long as my husband and I have been together, she's been a part of our lives as a family. I've been dreaming about her a lot, and in my dreams, she's not really gone, but she's healthy like she was in her younger days--full of vitality, and strong, and happy. I'm relieved she's no longer suffering of course, because that was pretty horrible for her, but it doesn't help me to miss her less.:verysad: We still have one dog left, but she's getting older too (although at this current time, at least her health is still pretty good). It's never easy to lose a pet when they become such a part of the family. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope you don't mind me posting my story. I've really not been able to talk about it much until I read your post.

auburnchick
05-28-2007, 01:10 PM
:hug::hug:

So sorry about your loss. My daughter went to a soccer thing this weekend, and one of the coaches brought his dog, which is the same breed as your's. Since I didn't go with her, she described how large the dog was. I told her about your avatar (as a comparison). Weird timing...you haven't been here much lately...caring for your dog, I'm sure.

Anyhow, my heart goes out to you. We're so attached to our friends, aren't we?

VictoiseC
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes, I too am very sorry for your loss. I think about my baby (my big girl Toisie, cat who will turn 13 next week), losing her and I just don't know how ....

well I do, because I lost 3 cats so far but she has been my favorite and my best pal. She helped me when I grieved too much over my mum's death a few years ago (she would come into the room and bump me if I was crying too much)

COOKWORM, I'm sorry for your loss also.

As our wonderful vet said, A Good Friend is one who knows when to let go. Peace be with you:heart:

REVS
05-30-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this :hug:

*Ginny*
05-30-2007, 11:47 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

gingerbread
05-31-2007, 08:15 AM
So sorry for your loss it is never easy when they pass.
When our beloved odie died the vet gave us a book about the passing of our pets. I don't remember the name of the book but it sure did help.