PDA

View Full Version : I can't log out.

BostonBecca
05-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Help! I can't log out! I just get a message that says all the cookies have been cleared when I try and log out.

cathoo
05-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Cookies are how your internet browser tracks what you have been doing and if you are logged in to different sites. As far as I know, when you log in you get cookies in your browser, then when you log out your cookies are erased.

wewantmore
05-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I tried to log out yesterday too and got the same message.

I was logging out, b/c its still not savings which threads I've viewed and thought logging out and logging in would 'fix' that.

:shrug:

Michelle

BostonBecca
05-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I know what cookies are. I am still logged in after I get that message!

Thanks for the help though!

BostonBecca
05-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I figured it out.

I had to go and manually clear the cookie from his computer in order to log out and log back in. My boyfriend wanted to register for the forum (to be able to ask questions about knitting) and we couldn't get me logged out on his computer. He is a very new knitter.

cathoo
05-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Interesting. I just tried logging out and in again and had no problem. I tried going back in to the forums and it gave me the message it gives to not-logged-in people. Meh...

Good for your boyfriend though :)

Jan in CA
05-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I figured it out.

I had to go and manually clear the cookie from his computer in order to log out and log back in. My boyfriend wanted to register for the forum (to be able to ask questions about knitting) and we couldn't get me logged out on his computer. He is a very new knitter.

I was going to ask why you'd even want to log out, but now I know. That's so cool!! :cheering:

Nobones
05-27-2007, 03:45 PM
I can't log out either, I deleted my cookies but I still can't log out?

BostonBecca
05-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I think it would work if you clicked Log Out, click OK, then go and manually remove the cookie for Knittinghelp.com, then log out again.

nadja la claire
05-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I never log out, I just close the window and shot off my modem. Should I be logging out? :shrug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Nobones
05-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Nope tried that, still not logging out. It's me, I'm a jinx when it comes to computers!

Jan in CA
05-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Although I don't want to log out I tried it and it doesn't work for me either. I've sent Sheldon a msg about it so I'll let you know what he says if he doesn't come here to discuss it.

Jan in CA
05-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Here's Sheldon's reply to me:

It not necessarily a bug, it just that your computer (and possibly the computer of others) are still holding the old cookie. When you log out, it clears the cookie, but since the cookie is now a different cookie it can't delete it. The solution: Clear you cookies manually and voila you should be able to log in. Also, the cookie should magically expire on its own (i forget how long this takes), so even if people don't clear their cookies...eventually they will be free from the you can never logout ever cookie!

Ingrid discovered that if you log out and get that "cookie message" just click log out again and you should be fine.

BostonBecca
05-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Even if I click log out again, it doesn't work. Like I said before, I have to go manually delete all knitting help cookies.

Jan in CA
05-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Even if I click log out again, it doesn't work. Like I said before, I have to go manually delete all knitting help cookies.

Well, if you read what I posted Sheldon does say that eventually the old cookies will expire on their own and you shouldn't have to do this, but.. :shrug: I will give him a heads up about this thread and maybe he can shed more light on the issue.

BostonBecca
05-28-2007, 12:57 PM
It's fine for me. I have it figured out. Unless Sheldon wants to try and make it so people don't have to do this, please don't work on this any more on my account.

Thanks for all the help though.