PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Books

PattyO13
05-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Can anybody give me there lists for the best knitting books? I am starting a collection of knitting books for reference and would like your input on books that have good instructions and patterns. Thank you

Momto G B and H
05-27-2007, 04:55 PM
My favorites are Barbara G. Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns (there are 4 in the series), the Harmony Guides (I think there are 5 of these), and the Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns. There are so many stitch patterns in these books you could knit practically forever and never repeat a pattern!

Braden
05-27-2007, 04:58 PM
My favorites:

-All Elizabeth Zimmermann's Books.

-All Barbara Walker's Books.

-All Harmony Guides

-All Alice Starmore books (if you like very intricate fair isle or aran patterns, like I do)

-The Knitter's Bible, for a beginner

Those are my favorites, and I have them all, so I know.

losnana
05-27-2007, 06:31 PM
I think that there are basically 2 kinds of books: those with wonderful directions and lots of tips and those with great patterns. Unfortunately, I've never really found both things in the same book, although Zimmerman's books have general directions on adjusting patterns, etc.

snowbear
05-28-2007, 12:26 AM
One of my most used reference books is the Vogue's Knitting Book. It is wonderful It has had answers to any question I've ever needed asking. It shows the stitches, and the how to's great!

Nobones
05-28-2007, 05:02 AM
I love the 'Stitch and Bitch' books. I was having real problems until Mike got me my first one. I always have it out when I'm working on a project. The second one is good too, I've learnt a lot about how a pattern works and altering a pattern. They have some great patterns in there too. My problem with pattern books is there is always lots of baby patterns,I'm not ever going to need them.

The other book I've got is 'The knitters Bible'. The instructions are very good, but there are a couple of mistakes in a pattern and stitch sample.

AnaK
05-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I just love Vogue Knitting book. It has great instructions for various tehniques.
Barbara Walkers stitch pattern books are excellent.
Elizabet Zimmerman DVD and book. Can't stop watching it (I am weird I know:lol:)
Also The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt. It is out of print but I hear it will be published again. This book has even more info than Vogue.

Braden
05-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Another two of my favorites that I forgot to mention:

The Sweater Workshop- I can't reccomend it enough. Most of the book is for knitting a in-the-round sampler, and you do all sorts of techniques and then you learn to design your own in-the-round sweaters, with any yarn, at any gauge. Great Book.

Knitting in the Old Way- This book expands on The Sweater workshop in that it has even more plans and percentages for any kind of sweater you could ever want, all knit in the round, all at your own yarn, with your own gauge. No patterns in either of these books.

I would recommend those books if you don't like to follow a written sweater pattern. A must for hand spinners. Because of these books, I don't think I've ever knit a sweater from a pattern, except for an EZ sweater, an Alice Starmore gansey, and the Aran I'm working on now.

leslie979
06-09-2007, 04:55 PM
So I guess the full Vogue Knitting book would be a good buy after all. I find the stitch and bitch book helpful quite a bit to. I will check out Elizabeth Zimmerman on amazon. My main problem is seaming. I ruin many a project trying to put it together lol. So hopefully Vogue Knitting will have a section on that. Thanks.

Sanibelle
06-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Another vote for the Vogue Knitting book. It has everything in it. It is my go to book anytime I have a question.

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Writing all of these down.

G J
06-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Writing all of these down.
me too!