PDA

View Full Version : OT: HORSEBACK RIDING!!

bailsmom
05-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Okay I am so excited you'd think I was a little girl!! Today is DH birthday and we're going HBR this afternoon. He's never been on a horse and I went one time when I was like 10 yrs old or something and I remember it like it was yesterday. (I'm 20 yrs past 10 yrs old :shock:) :rofling:

Anyway, I don't remember what I wore. Do we have to wear pants? Or can we get away with shorts?? I only ask because it's going to be 85 muggy degrees today and the thought of wearing jeans for an hour on a horse in the blazing sun doesn't make me exactly thrilled at the moment.

But if we have to then we will, just thought I'd ask for some help with this.

Thank you!!! :waving:

Nobones
05-28-2007, 11:32 AM
WEAR PANTS! you don't want bare legs of you'll get chaffed to pieces.

I used to go riding 3 times a week as teenager, I loved it, it was somewhere I could go where I wasn't bullied and relaxed me. Unfortunately at 16 I was told by Drs I was to stop, I cried for weeks. I still long to have just 1 more go but I've had spinal fusion so that's not an option anymore.

Have fun, wear pants, take a bottle of water and lots of photos then post them here!

bailsmom
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
WEAR PANTS! you don't want bare legs or you'll get chaffed to pieces.

I used to go riding 3 times a week as teenager, I loved it, it was somewhere I could go where I wasn't bullied and relaxed me. Unfortunately at 16 I was told by Drs I was to stop, I cried for weeks. I still long to have just 1 more go but I've had spinal fusion so that's not an option anymore.

Have fun, wear pants, take a bottle of water and lots of photos then post them here!

Oh shoot!! I was so hoping you were going to say wear shorts!! Thank you so much for replying!! My legs will thank you later. :teehee:

Yep, I'm bringing the camera too!! I can't wait only one more hour to go!! :woohoo:

Nobones
05-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Wear the light's pants you've got. Or three quarter length just don't have bare legs next to the saddle.

My step brother came riding with me one week and insisted on wearing shorts, the instructor warned him, he went away with what looked like carpet burns on his one thigh! and a blister on the other.

PCwombat
05-28-2007, 12:33 PM
That is so exciting!! I used to take riding lessons, and I loved it so much. In fact, I'm seriously considering joining the equestrian club at my school next semester.

I'm sure you probably know this, but, also don't forget to wear boots that have a heel. :)

I'm sure it'll be an amazing time!!

BostonBecca
05-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I third or fourth the pants and second the boots with heels. If you don't have heels your foot could slip out of the stirrup very easily.

But most importantly, have fun!

Pay attention to your horse too, they are intelligent animals and have moods and emotions just like us. Maybe bring a treat for the horse like some carrots and give it to the horse before you ride and after.

I rode comptetively for years. It's great fun!

rainberry
05-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I really like riding horses! I'm going to horse camp in August. Last week I was in Door County with my grandparents and they took me horseback riding. It was fun! I wore my riding pants which take a while to get off when you are all hot and sweaty. The only thing I don't like about horseback riding is that it is kind of expensive so I don't get to do it that much (just 1 week of horse camp in the summer and that's it pretty much.)

DragonTush
05-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Yup, pants for sure.:lol:

I wish I could go riding. I've gone a few times and just loved it! I'm trying to convince hubby that a holiday on horseback would be fun.

bailsmom
05-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Yea!!! What a good time we had. Glad we wore pants too, my bum is a little sore! We wore tennis shoes and me feet were fine. Never slipped once. My horse, Misty, was so pretty and she was very good too.

The only bad thing (don't tell my hubby) we didn't get to gallop or trot. That's the one thing I remember most about the other time I rode. It was just amazing for me, I wish they would have let us do that, oh well. Maybe we'll find another farm that would allow that.

He had a wonderful time though, so it was well worth it. True, it was a very expensive ride. $100.00 :shock: for the both of us. But you only turn 30 once.

I would love to ride every week, but who can afford it?? That's just too much money for us to spend.

Nobones
05-29-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm so glad you had a nice time, can't believe how pricey it is for you though. The riding school down the road charges 10 ph (Think that's about $20) and you get a cup of squash after (tea in the winter) I hope you get to go again some time.

bellium
05-29-2007, 11:11 AM
yikes at the price of a trail ride! my sister has three horses, and thankfully i get to enjoy all the pleasures of horseback riding with none of the responsibility or expense of equine care.