PDA

View Full Version : OT - HUGE change in my life & quick

letah75
05-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi all,

I haven't been on for a week, which for me is crazy, because I'm usually on here what seems like all day everyday. But this week has been a whirlwind for me.

I have been single for a while now...well no more. :inlove: I had a friend of mine come into town, I've known him since I was about 9 years old. He was my first kiss, I was his first kiss. I know him because he and his family have gone to my church since the moved to the US from Belize. Anyway, he came up here to visit his sister who is in college, and called me (last Monday) to see if I wanted to go out to dinner. We went to dinner, talked had a good time, well, somehow, we decided that we should be together. So he just left to go home. He's been here a week. :shock:

On Saturday, we drove 3 hours and went to his niece's birthday party, told his family we're dating, then met my parents for dinner. There were a lot of double takes, wide eyes, and "uhhh, oh....uhhh, really?!?" (My cousin thought I was joking and trying to play a trick on her).

See we've known each other for about 21-22 years now (I'm 31, he's 32), and there's no needing to get to know one another, no trying to put the best foot forward, etc. I know all his f :!!!: ups and he knows mine. This is the weirdest thing, we just fell into FULL relationship mode. I think we've been there for a while, anytime we are around one another, people think we're together anyway.

Well, he went and got his son on Friday, and we spent the whole weekend together. It was amazing. I've never felt this thing that I'm feeling right now. I'm so excited, but my head is still spinning!!!!! :shock:

I am so comfortable with him it's kinda scary, in fact all of my friends up here have been talking about it, and telling me they've never seen me so happy, or relaxed. Most of them have known me between 5-9 years. They're amazed.

I had to share, everyone on this board is like family, and I kinda wanted to see what ya'll think....good lord, I barely know what I think, my family and his family are all in shock. Good shock, but shock nonetheless!!!

Many this is so strange. I feel like I'm where I should be and where I've always wanted to be and it's kinda freakin' me out.

Jan in CA
05-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Good for you! I hope it works out!:cheering:

Jeremy
05-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Good Luck. Sometimes things just happen this way. I've known couples who knew right away that they were going to spend the rest of their lives together.:muah:

PaperGirl
05-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Oh its wonderful to hear stories like this! I hope it all goes wonderful for you!

BinkyKat
05-28-2007, 10:50 PM
What a wonderful feeling! I am glad for you both and wish you the best life has to offer! Go with and enjoy every moment! Isn't great to "find" something like that when it's been so close to you for so long. Sigh, I love happy endings/new beginnings!:heart::heart::heart:

Jillle
05-28-2007, 10:56 PM
It does sound wonderful!
It comes down to timing. You were both ready for the same thing, at the same time.:muah:

auburnchick
05-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Congratulations! I think it's wonderful!

My sister knew my dh's brother for about 10 years before it "clicked." They were best friends throughout her first marriage and her divorce that followed (he in no way caused it). She never felt anything romantic until the day after her divorce was final. As she says, God zapped her with "love" feelings for him. They had their first date/kiss on New Year's Eve and were married that June. They had been best friends ever since she was 14. It was the natural thing.

So, having said all that, I've seen it happen and totally believe in it. Good luck!!! I hope it works out for you too!!! :hug:

lauraknits
05-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Magic!

I am so happy for you!!!!

beckyrhae
05-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Umm... just so you know... this is exactly the way my DH and I started dating.:cheering: Good luck to you!

Nobones
05-29-2007, 04:21 AM
Good Luck. Sometimes things just happen this way. I've known couples who knew right away that they were going to spend the rest of their lives together.:muah:

That's my hubby and I. We both knew. This is fantastic, I am so happy for you both. I hope you 'll both be very happy.

KnittingNat
05-29-2007, 06:04 AM
That's just great!!!! you'll feel weird because you used to being single and now without any dating stuff you're seriously involved with him. but that's great!!!! Ohh, the butterflies in your stomach....Great feeling - enjoy it and we're all happy for you :muah::muah::muah:

That's my hubby and I. We both knew. This is fantastic, I am so happy for you both. I hope you 'll both be very happy.

Nobones - my hubby and i were the same - the second time i ever saw him (he was passing by my place going to his friend - my neighbour, where we first met) - he just came in and stayed. the next day i called my mother and told her i met the guy i'm going to marry.I'd say she was curious!

Ronda
05-29-2007, 06:37 AM
I think it's fantastic! Congratulations! :woot:

ritaw
05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Well good for you . Enjoy every second:)

nonny2t
05-29-2007, 07:38 AM
When it is right, it is right! My husband and I have been married nearly 35 years, and we were each others total firsts in everything, if you get my drift and it has been such a wonderful ride down the road together. I wish you much happiness to both of you! :muah:

flyingfingers
05-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Well, I think that gives you the right to knit the "Boyfriend Sweater"!!!!!
Congratulations, I am very happy for you :)

dustinac
05-29-2007, 08:15 AM
:woot:That is wonderful!! :blooby:

Jessica Cobb
05-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Yay! That's awesome. A similar thing happened to me. One of my first real best friends was a boy named Scott. We became really good friends when I was sixteen and he was eighteen. We spent almost every day together for about a year, and one day we both realized we just had to be together. We're coming up on our two year annniversary in August. There really is no better feeling than falling in love with your best friend, well, as long as they feel the same way you do.:teehee:

Sanibelle
05-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Well, I think that gives you the right to knit the "Boyfriend Sweater"!!!!!
Congratulations, I am very happy for you :)

No - Don't do it - you know about the curse of the boyfriend sweater... right????

Letah - I am so happy for you. I hope it works out for you. It sounds like you really found your soul mate.

I knew my husband in Jr. HS and HS - we were really good friends. He always liked me but he was too shy to ever ask me out - so we just remained friends. After graduation my dad got transferred to SOuth Carolina and I never went back to NY. I lost touch with my friends. 26 years later another friend from back then decided to have a reunion with everyone from this crowd. He posted a message for me on the web page from the neighborhood were we grew up. My brother happened to see the post and I responded. I had just gotten divorced after being married for 20 year. My friend gave me my DH's email address. We started writing back and forth (I lived in Ohio and he was still in NY). After a few months I flew out to NY to meet in person. We had the best time - it was like I found my best friend and soul mate. We both knew right away that it was right and we got married just a few months later. That was 8 years ago and we are sill crazy in love with each other.

It can happen! I wish you all the happiness I have found with my husband - you certainly deserve it.

larudden
05-29-2007, 10:50 AM
La la laaaaaaaaa..............How exciting!:heart::heart:

I met my DH, Matt, as I was going through my divorce. Needless to say, it was one of those "look into his eyes" things. He was visiting from NY (I'm in FL) and, on the day he was leaving (July), IT happened. Actually, it happened to ME, but he took some convincing! :grin:

We did this email, phone dating thing for a bit. I still remember waking up at 4 am in August. I was hysterical! I realized that I was in love with him and I was NOT HAPPY! Not happy at all. Here I was, getting divorced after 20 years, and I was thinking that I'd FINALLY be on my own for the first time in my life. Well, I always say that God has a sense of humor because he dropped Matt into my life. After crying and yelling and all that, I finally just said "OK God, You obviously know what's best for me" and I decided to take the plunge. We got married the following March.

It's funny how, the older we are, the less we need to do the whole "dating and taking it slow" thing because we're more comfortable in our skin and we may not have all those hangups that we had in our 20's. At least, that's how it was for me. I just KNEW that Matt was my soul mate. I always tell him that he's everything I always thought I could never have.

So now we've been married 6 years and I'm still as in love with him as I was at the beginning. And the crazy thing is, I NEVER felt this way in 20 years with my first husband. Go figure.

Congratulations on this new chapter in your life. Many may question the quickness of it all, but don't let it get you down. When you know, you just KNOW, you know?:woot:

And you have the bonus of a child too! Woo hoo! Somebody new to knit for!

Kaydee
05-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Congrats!:cheering:I'm glad things are working out for you!

Quiltlady
05-29-2007, 11:38 AM
You both have my best wishes. Love is GRAND.:heart:

I've been married to the love of my life for the past 30 years. I'd marry him again in a minute...he says the same thing. Good luck.

jamadian75
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Your excitement is contagious!! :cheering:
This is great news and I think it makes a fantastic story. Stay present in every moment of this "new" stage so that you'll always have these great feelings to look back on and enjoy!! :hug:

jeanius80
05-29-2007, 12:32 PM
yay letah!!!!!!!!!
finding love is wonderful. happy for you. enjoy every minute :cheering: we'll forgive you for hiding out with him :biting:

:teehee:

debinoz
05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Love is such a wonderful thing! Congratulations!! Thanks for making my day. :hug:

I was a little bummed because DH left again this morning for SD. (Someone please explain to me why people in SD need basements?!):shrug:

Dh and I met one Oct. and were married in Nov.. Had never met him before that. We've been married over 17 years now. I still get that butterfly feeling when I look at him.

Don't over-think things..... go with the feeling.

letah75
05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
:hug:

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts!! 90% of my friends are just as on board, there are only a few who are saying "it's moving too fast, are you sure..." I am, and so is he. In fact a few of my friends have told me they have NEVER seen me so happy.

His mom told she hopes it all works out. Which is a huge relief!!! It's always good when the families are with you.

I am just so happy, and realized I've NEVER been this comfortable/happy/relaxed/anything with anyone else in my life. I know it's always been there, I just hadn't fully recognized it before this.

He lives 3 hours away, but I think in the next few months he's going to move here....I think. Really thank you all. I respect everyone's opinion on this board, so much, and to have you all be positive is amazing!! It also helped me realize, my gut was right, I need to respect my god given instincts!!!

edited to add picture. :heart:

stitchwitch
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Ain't love grand!????!!!! Congrats on new found happiness!:cheering::cheering:

P.S. He isn't bad on the eyes either! You go girl!:balloons:

Doodknitwit
05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
:heart: grab it and don't let go. A blessing in this life for sure. :happydancing::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Ronda
05-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Nice photo! Now do we get one with you, too?! Or the two of you together?!

nadja la claire
05-29-2007, 05:53 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

That's wonderful. I'm so happy for you.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

REVS
05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Letah I'm so happy for you! :cheering:

I think you totally did the right thing.
You will know when it's right - and it seems that while you may still be blinded by this new-found, exciting happiness, you won't wake up to a totally different person, because you already know him.

Congratulations! It's grand to bask in your happiness, it radiates! :muah:

mks22300
05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
That's wonderful! Hope it all works out for you! :hug:

HollyP
05-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Letah that is so exciting:woot:! Gives a girl like me hope!:heart: Enjoy every minute of it and just keep listening to your heart!

mwedzi
05-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Oh, what a sweet story. And I loved hearing all the other storytelling it inspired, too. I hope everything works out.

rebecca
05-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Sounds wonderful to me! I hope all goes perfectly!!!!! Actually, sounds alot like me and Lonnie. I had known him for many years (he was in a band, but too cool to know me) and our mothers had worked together and known each other for many, many years, since we were kids. We took our kids to see St Patty's day parade and were married may 13th 18 years ago! It was a whirlwind romance, married in less than 3 months and have been blissfully happy since then!

threesmom
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Oh - I'm so happy for you! :cheering: Enjoy these exciting new days! It must be so nice to have all the messy "getting to know you" stuff out of the way - and have that acceptance of each other that time and intimacy brings. I fell pretty quickly for my husband too - despite my HUGE trust issues :rollingeyes:, and although a little of the initial excitement faded, it's been replaced by something just as special - I don't know, comfort, acceptance, sharing. Good luck to you Letah - enjoy this adventure!! :hug:

letah75
05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Nice photo! Now do we get one with you, too?! Or the two of you together?!

I don't have any recent pics of us together, all the ones I have are burried and we were anywhere from 9-15 so they wouldn't really help. Here are two pictures of me though. They are really bad taken on a picture phone:

The one on the topin my room, and the one on the bottom is at work.

jsauer
05-30-2007, 11:39 AM
That's cool. I think the most telling evidence that this is RIGHT is the reaction of your friends. My mom reconnected with a man she had been involved with in the 1950's and I tell you, I had NEVER seen my mother act the way she acts around him. She's a totally different woman - and it's all good, too! Happy, relaxed, peaceful. Isn't that what we're all looking for?
Good for you and good luck!