PDA

View Full Version : OT: The waiting....

nonny2t
05-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Jack and I are in a grandbaby holding pattern and it is driving us nuts. Her due date is June 4th, but two weeks ago they moved it up a week. We talked to them yesterday and she said she has been having Braxton Hicks for several days now on and off, the baby has dropped dramatically so it is just a matter of time. Our bags are packed and in the car, I have a list of the remaining stuff to throw in, we have the dog stuff ready to go in case we have to take him and otherwise we have a standing appt with the kennel to drop him off at a moments notice during their hours 7 am-7 pm. I jump every time the phone rings! :lol: I feel like I am living in the Lucy episode where they practice and practice and all is well then she comes out and says, "This is it." and they all fall all over themselves messing up their perfect practicing. I keep visualizing us doing the same thing. We live 600 miles from them so it takes us about 10 hours to drive it nonstop. We can't afford last minute airfare tickets and have to drive it. Our lives are one big nervous nelly now. You would think we hadn't been through this, but truth is, we missed our grandson Thomas's birth because of a lot of false starts and then couldn't take off any more work and ended up seeing him about 2 weeks after he was born for the first time. Funny thing is, my dd and sil lived here in Memphis and we lived up where our son lives now when T was born and now it is exactly reversed. We really want to make it in time for the birth this time. She is such a sweety and told my husband yesterday she wants my son, her mom and me in the delivery with her. I can't say how touched I am by that.:inlove:

We went to see Pirates of the Caribbean yesterday and Jack put his cell phone on vibrate, but was so nervous he wouldn't feel it in his jeans pocket if they called that he held the phone the whole movie! :lol: We came home and no messages, but on caller ID was their home phone number so we scurried around and called right away.

Just had to commiserate with all those grandmamas who know what it is like waiting and waiting and waiting......

dustinac
05-29-2007, 08:20 AM
I hope you guys get the call soon!!! That is wonderful..:woot:

I know how it is being a part during that time.. we ended up being lucky cause both of mine was the dr saying show up on this date :teehee:... my dad didn't make the first one cause he had to work and then they told me he couldn't get off at all.. when I left for home that Sat.. I thought something was up when we pulled in my dad came out.. I cried like a baby.. such a special time...:blooby:

kellyh57
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah....I feel your pain, but mine was being the MOM. Both of mine were 10 days late. (Yeah, yeah, I know I could've been induced sooner but I avoided that!) My parents are 3 1/2 hours away and wanted to be here ASAP (not in the delivery room). Of course, they had to deal with getting the dogs in the kennel, getting off work and all that too. I went into labor with Grant at 2 am and didn't want to wake them so I called at 6:30 and my dad had gone into work early so he had to come home! I think they were a little upset with me. Jared was due before Christmas so we couldn't travel to the family holiday celebration. I called my mom while they were celebrating and told her we were on our way....to Target. Oh was she MAD. He ended up being induced so they came down the night before and could babysit Grant while we went to the hospital. Enough rambling....

Just a word of advice- DO NOT call and ask if she's had the baby yet. It's insulting because #1 they would've called you and #2 she wouldn't be home and answering the phone if she just had the baby! And whatever you do, don't act disappointed when she doesn't have the baby when you've expected. She's disappointed/stressed enough she doesn't need to feel like a failure for not delivering a baby when expected!

Kelly

nonny2t
05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
We try to avoid calling because we don't want them to feel like this is a pressure thing. I do have Jack call about once a week to make sure she is ok. We know that babies come in their own time. She asked Jack yesterday if there would be a convenient time and he laughed and told her if she could manage talking to Jackson and telling him to start things going so that we could drop the dog at the kennel instead of bringing him. She said she would do her best and laughed. I did give my son instructions a week or so ago when to call us so that we would have enough time to drive up there, ie if her water breaks, call, period. Even if she isn't in labor, they would induce in at least a couple days past that because of the infection issue or I told him if she gets regular about 10 minutes apart. If we get up there in time that would be wonderful, but if the little bugger wants to get out fast, we will see him when we get up there. No pressure is put on them at all.

debinoz
05-29-2007, 12:39 PM
We're expecting our 5th grandchild in the next month and I've gotten to the point of , "Call me when you're done and let me know if everything's ok." (5 grandkids in 6 years)

I hope everything goes well and you make it in time. I'll keep my needles crossed!:hug:

Jan in CA
05-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I so WISH I was in your shoes now. I have three daughters and no grandchildren. The youngest wants children soon so she's our best hope. :teehee:

Good luck!!:cheering:

aineepooh1
05-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Nonny2T:
I don't have children but I can just feel your enthusiasm eeeking through the screen~!:cheering::happydance::cheering::muah:
first of all ~ Congratulations on another grandchild~
2) I am so excited for both of you
3) It is WONDERFUL that mommy wants BOTH her moms to be there for her baby~ That is such a HUGE blessing in itself b/c this baby will be LOVED from every angle~! I think the only friction will arise over WHO gets to hold the baby first~!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you
~ But PLEASE BE SAFE WHILE DRIVING~!!
:hug::hug::hug::hug:
ainee
PS: Your'e gonna post PICS right~!:clink::clink::clink:

Kaydee
05-29-2007, 04:27 PM
How exciting even though its so hard to wait!! When my neice was born in Oct. I couldn't wait to hear. My brother called around 3pm to tell us they were going to the hospital, but it wasn't until 4am when he called back to tell us Cammie was born. And they live in NV (I'm in Boston) so I didn't get to go out to see her for a month, the anticpiation almost killed me!

nonny2t
05-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Nonny2T:
I don't have children but I can just feel your enthusiasm eeeking through the screen~!:cheering::happydance::cheering::muah:
first of all ~ Congratulations on another grandchild~
2) I am so excited for both of you
3) It is WONDERFUL that mommy wants BOTH her moms to be there for her baby~ That is such a HUGE blessing in itself b/c this baby will be LOVED from every angle~! I think the only friction will arise over WHO gets to hold the baby first~!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you
~ But PLEASE BE SAFE WHILE DRIVING~!!
:hug::hug::hug::hug:
ainee
PS: Your'e gonna post PICS right~!:clink::clink::clink:

I will defer to her mama to hold him first as this is her first grandchild and her other two dd's aren't even married. I will get my turn so I can wait. We will be up there about a week so I am sure I will get a lot of time with Jackson. As far as pics, you betcha! Now that I have my digital camera again, I promise to post them asap as Jack is taking his laptop with him.

redwitch
05-30-2007, 09:03 AM
First off, the WORST case is that you will arrive 9 hours after the sprog is born and get to cuddle him!!! Congratulations! Actually by that time the fun of holding a newborn will have worn off for most of the others present so you will get lots of cuddles straight away! I am sure that when you arrive the focus will be on how everyone is there and being a big happy family.

P.S. remember that for every 10 kph you drive faster you will only gain a few minutes per hour don't take risks when driving although i understand how excited you are!
Also worrying will not bring on the bub sooner. Whatever the time is that he/she will be born, will not change because of how you are acting/feeling. So for your free time between now and when you get the call saying 's/he's definitely coming!' you can either worry and obsess, or KNIT. I know what I choose! How about getting a start on the baby item I know you are planning or knitting?

Sarah

caviar
05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
I totally know what you mean! I feel that way right now waiting for the last Harry Potter book to come out! :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I'm only joking because I've been an "overdue" mom, so I have some inkling of what you're saying. Good luck, and we look forward to good news!

Kirstin