PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Felting

Knitting_Guy
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I recently purchased an MP3 player and am thinking about knitting a case for it. Snowbear suggested felting one and I think it would indeed make an interesting first felting project.

A couple of question though. As I'll basically have to create it from scratch, without a pattern, how do I figure out the correct size of the thing to allow for the shrinkage that will take place during felting?

Also, I am thinking that I should knit and felt the case and then after felting it cut the holes for the controls and ear bud jack access. Would this be correct?

I am assuming one can easily sew velcro to a felted project. Yes?

BillSpace
05-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Mason: In answer to how big to knit it: that's going to take swatching, measuring the swatch, then felting it and remeasuring, then doing math. (Cast on, say, 50 stitches, knit for 50 rows.) Actually, if you remember the number of rows and stitches, your math isn't so hard -- you measure the final result after you've felted it enough to look the way you want and divide 50 by the final number of inches to get your felted stitches per inch, etc.

As for your other questions: I have successfully cut holes in felted projects, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Velcro might be a problem; it tends to stick to more than just itself on a knitted thing. (I wear biking gloves with velcro wrist holders, and they are forever getting tangled up in my sweater.) Maybe a snap or a button is a better closure choice.

Have fun making your pattern!

Knitting_Guy
05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks BillSpace.

I hadn't thought about the velcro sticking to the wool. Good point. Perhaps a snap or even a magnetic catch might be a better idea.

Now I just have to read up on the felting process.

Brandilyne
05-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Mason, you could probably use a basic ipod/mp3 player cozy pattern and just make it taller and a bit wider. Or maybe you could use this felted cell phone cozy pattern (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/bagcellphone2.htm) as a guide for the size? I think my sister used an old cell phone case for a while before she found a cute case for her ipod.

Knitting_Guy
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks. That pattern isn't exactly what I have in mind but it does give me some basic ideas.

I am wondering if I couldn't just knit and felt some swatches of the appropriate size and then cut them to the size and shape I need and then stitch them together to make the finished case. That might be easier as I want to include a small loop or pocket on the front to hold the ear buds when I'm not using them.

GinnyG
05-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I have done several felted projects and the number one thing I have learned is that every yarn felts differently and sometimes different colors in the same yarn felt differently. My first project was with Patons and that felted FAST and beautifully. Noro took a bit longer and Cascade 220 took FOREVER. Swatcing is a great idea.

redwitch
05-30-2007, 10:16 AM
hi Mason! Good to see you back!
Yep different wools felt differently, it's worth your while to swatch and see what reduction in size your particular knitting gets (wool + needle size). Knit on a bit bigger needles than you normally would to give the fabric room to shrink, and if it is sufficiently felted you can cut the fabric and it won't unravel!
If I can add an OT: do you know those hollowed-out books with a secret cavity for hiding things? I made a cavity in the book 2 cm wider and taller than my iPod, laid down a layer of foam, On top a same width and height layer with an iPod-sized hole in the middle, iPod fits perfectly (1 cm-wide strip around the border, on each side of the iPod). There is a Velcro strip holding the cover closed. My iPod fits inside perfectly cushioned with the cover closed, I can throw the book on the floor with iPod inside, no damage.

Although you seem to prefer to knit a case for it. If so I say, when you dry the felted project, do it with iPod/mp3 player inside, wrap it in plastic wrap first to keep it safe. This will make felted item dry/shrink to exactly the right size.

Check out the Craftster forum. I think one of the knitting fora -knitalongs or general knitting - has a sticky on knitted iPod cosies, might be helpful.

Sarah

brownishcoat
05-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I'd avoid using a magnetic closure. It would be a shame to accidentally erase/corrupt your music files.

:D

Knitting_Guy
05-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I've seen books used in that manner. As I plan to carry mine with me while cycling that wouldn't be very practical :rofling:

Good point about the magnet.