PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Knit-Along

Pages : 1 2 [3]

chrislt8
08-10-2007, 12:09 AM
For those of you who made the Dark Mark Scarf - did yours curl in on itself as you were knitting (mine is more or less a tube coming off the needles) and if so, did it flatten out nicely upon blocking? I am just imagining having to pick up all the stitches along the side and knit a border to flatten it and feel my hair going gray at just the thought :wall:

I am using Plymouth Encore (75% acrylic 25% wool) and Knit Picks Swish Superwash so am concerned about how well those will block as well...

Any input would be appreciated so I can stop worrying :help: and enjoy finishing the scarf (I'm at about 60" now and getting ready to start Chart 3 shortly). It is coming out great - other than the "curling"! TIA

Mariblue
08-10-2007, 01:35 AM
For those of you who made the Dark Mark Scarf - did yours curl in on itself as you were knitting...
Mine curled too. I was about halfway through when I frogged mine :shock: because of the curling. I was using Caron Simply Soft, it's acrylic, and therefore pretty much unblockable, so if there is a yarn where it blocks flat I would love to know.
I'm planning on starting this over at some point, and will probably knit it in the round. It would take some chart modification, but it shouldn't be too much to think about. I just know I would never wear it with all the curling...so why make it that way? It's some seriously cool knitting, though, and I really want one! So, like I said, I'm gonna do it in the round. Plus, that way, there will be no "wrong side" and it'll be reversible!

kahluakiggy
08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm using Simply Soft too, and it is curling, but I think that I am going to put green fleece on the back, so that in the mind-numbingly cold winter, it'll still keep me vaguely warm, plus the fleece should stabilize it, right?

I can't believe how fast you guys knit. I just started chart 2! And so far, everything I've seen has been incredible! I love the idea of a pink and black DM scarf! That's my favorite color combo! Wow, I use a lot of exclamation points! lol

Mariblue
08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm using Simply Soft too, and it is curling, but I think that I am going to put green fleece on the back, so that in the mind-numbingly cold winter, it'll still keep me vaguely warm, plus the fleece should stabilize it, right?

I think that's a great idea! It would definately help stabalize it and keep it from curling, in my opinion.

chrislt8
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
That is a great idea kahluakiggy!

But, I guess my question is, if it is coming off the needles and curling while I am knitting is there any hope of it not curling once done? Does superwash type wool block? ...I wish I had knit a border when I started! :wall:

hob
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
i guess i just joined ur KAL
my brother just asked me to knit hima harry scarf so i best go get charmed knits.:???: i havent seen the book what other patterns do they have? (asuming the christmass jumpers are in there)

Lady Violet
08-11-2007, 03:56 PM
i guess i just joined ur KAL
my brother just asked me to knit hima harry scarf so i best go get charmed knits.:???: i havent seen the book what other patterns do they have? (asuming the christmass jumpers are in there)

the jumpers, an invisibility scarf based on the cloak in the books (not the movies), socks, mittens, hats, wand cozies, errol (yes, a knitted errol), and some other things. if you just want to knit a scarf, you can get the pattern from atypically (http://knit.atypically.net/index.shtml). the year 1-2 scarf is the same one that's in the book. the year 3-4 scarf is actually knit in the round like the year 1-2 scarf. the one in the book is more accurate (a flat rib). Lauren Kent runs the atypically site and those are actually her scarf patterns in the book.
if you just want the scarf, or if you want more, i would definitely recommend getting the book. it's great, even if all you do is turn the pages and drool over the pictures! :)

hob
08-12-2007, 02:54 PM
thanks

rachejm
08-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Am now the proud owner of a 4mm 40cm circular needle...which means I can start my Gryffindor scarf at long last! I've done 3 rounds so far and plan to curl up and knit in front of the tv for most of the evening - can't say how much knitting I'll get done as I generally too interested in what i'm watching to be able to concentrate on knitting as well but hey. There is a small hole by the join but the fringe should cover that up right?

Dark Mark scarf now on hold until i've finished some other things. Thanks for everyone offering help tho, it was much appreciated and no doubt when i get back to it I will need more help! I may yet need help with the Gryffindor scarf but for the moment, other than that small hole everything is going ok.

chrislt8
08-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Well - I finished my Dark Mark Scarf (at least the pattern portion) but need to resolve the curling issue. I decided I didn't want to back it with the fleece (although I think this is a great alternative - just not right for the person this is going to) so I have picked up stitches along the side (350 of them per side :wall:) and am knitting a border on each side of between 5-7 rows of garter in black (I'll decide onceI've done 5 if I think it needs more). I think it will look nice - like a frame for the stripes - but what a pain! I'll post pictures once I finish the borders and add the fringe...

want2knit
08-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

I've had the book for awhile now but had to finish my current project. Next up I'm going to be knitting the House Socks in Ravenclaw colors for my son. I had a ? though. I've never done stripes, so how do I switch between colors--I'm going to be doing the wide stripes. I'm a little confused as to what carrying the yarn up at the beginning of the rounds means. If anyone can offer assistance I'd appreciate it--thanks!

rachejm
08-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Adding a border sounds cool, I'd love to see how it turns out!

chrislt8
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Adding a border sounds cool, I'd love to see how it turns out!

I finished one side tonight and started the other. Seems to have stabilized it so the curling should not be a problem now. I'll be sure to post a pic when it is done. I like how it looks, seems to have given it a nice "finished" look....

Mariblue
08-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I look forward to seeing a pic, Crislt8, and I'm glad it's working out for you!

jillliv
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I finally finished my house colour beanies!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/jillpink73/PICT0063.jpg

Mariblue
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I love your hats, Jillliv!

Shandeh
08-13-2007, 01:57 PM
How cool! :heart:

chrislt8
08-13-2007, 06:23 PM
oh those are great jilliv!!! :cheering:

karendawn
08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Great job, jillliv! :heart:

rachejm
08-14-2007, 05:45 AM
love the hats!

chrislt8
08-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Finished up my Dark Mark Scarf last night...solved my curling problem by picking up the stitches along the sides and adding a 5 row garter border...still curled a little bit after that, but blocking it took care of it (didn't think blocking would help considering the fiber content, but it did!). Used Plymouth Encore Worsted (75% acrylic/25% wool) in black and KnitPicks Swish Superwash in Aloe Green on size US 6 needles. I made it a little longer than the pattern called for as it is for my BIL who is a big, tall guy, total length is 90".

Here are the pics of the completed scarf - it is so hard to get good photos of the illusion knitting, but the image ir really sharp when you have the scarf on and are looking down :happydance: Thanks for letting me join in on your KAL!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1135/1138836922_1ab324bd0e_m.jpghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1343/1138834374_e726102e19_m.jpg

Mariblue
08-16-2007, 11:48 AM
That looks fantastic, chrislt8! I love the border on it, and am so glad to hear that it helps with the curling!

rachejm
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
chrislt8, the scarf looks really great!

chrislt8
08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks Rachejm and Mariblue :lol: I can't wait to give to my BIL - he's worse than a little kid and will be so excited :woot:

kahluakiggy
08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I love the border!

karendawn
08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Fantastic scarf. I think the border really makes it all come together - great idea (and glad that it helped the curling issue)!

chrislt8
08-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks all - one of those "happy mistakes" :eyes: 'cause I like the border too - think it really gives the scarf a finished look:lol:

Duckling326
08-17-2007, 01:19 AM
How many skeins would you use of Simply Soft to make a scarf? Two of red and one of yellow?

IBAmyB
08-19-2007, 02:57 PM
I haven't posted on this thread in forever... my Dark Mark scarf took a back burner to some other things (plus the curling as bugging the heck out of me!).

However, yesterday I got my 16" circulars from Knit Picks so I am going to FINALLY be able to start on my friends' "Big Stripe" Gryffindor scarf! I have had the yarn for weeks (thank you, Shandeh!), but my local yucky Wal-Mart only has 29" circulars and the only other local "knitting/yarn" store is a small section at one of the local quiliting stores, and they hours don't really work with my work schedule... :sad:

So, after I chat online with DH today I will be starting her scarf... oh, that and trying not to thinking about how I should be cleaning the house! :teehee:

karendawn
08-19-2007, 08:46 PM
A friend on another forum I frequent showed some pictures of the Harry Potter Festival she went to in honor of the release of the 7th book. She was dressed as a Ravenclaw and had entered a contest for a free wand (nice hand carved wood) and won! She said that her costume was complete except for a scarf. So I decided that I wanted to help her complete her costume (she'll be wearing it for future events) and got to work on a Ravenclaw scarf.

So, after several audiobooks and many TV episodes, here's the finished scarf! I'll be mailing it to her tomorrow. (Since it's a surprise, I'm not going to post this to my blog until after she receives it - so y'all get the first look!)

Lady Violet
08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
karendawn, that looks great! :yay:
how's the sweater going? it seems that whenever i think about your sweater, you post the same day or the day after. funny, huh? :eyes:

Kels Joy.
08-20-2007, 01:07 AM
totally and completely off topic, but brookmctirre i LOVE your avatar! that's my favorite line in wicked!

karendawn
08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
karendawn, that looks great! :yay:
how's the sweater going? it seems that whenever i think about your sweater, you post the same day or the day after. funny, huh? :eyes:

Thank you. :)

I put aside the sweater to work on the scarf (I wanted to get it to her by DragonCon, which is at the end of this month). But I'm halfway through the first sleeve and plan to get back into it this week. :)

kahluakiggy
08-20-2007, 12:52 PM
I've got to put up my Dark Mark scarf until after December... I didn't realize how close the holiday season was getting! We've got 28 people on our list - and most are getting something I make. Eep. But, I've got Slytherin and Gryffindork hats and mittens and a Gryffindork illusion scarf to make, so I may still get to post something. lol

Lady Violet
08-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I've got to put up my Dark Mark scarf until after December... I didn't realize how close the holiday season was getting! We've got 28 people on our list - and most are getting something I make. Eep. But, I've got Slytherin and Gryffindork hats and mittens and a Gryffindork illusion scarf to make, so I may still get to post something. lol

gee, i wonder what house you're in.

:roflhard:

rachejm
08-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Have done two colour changes in my Gryffindor scarf and started the first chart of the dark mark scarf. I'd love to post pictures but the camera is dead so it will have to wait until I have new batteries!!!

karendawn
08-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Here's the latest update on my Quidditch sweater: one sleeve finished (well, it's still flat; I haven't seamed it yet), to go along with the front and back that I posted about a while ago. Now just one more sleeve to go, then the neckline and then all the seaming.

Sorry about the picture. I'm not sure what's going on with my camera lately, but it hasn't been taking as clean of pictures as it used to and I don't think I've changed any settings. *sigh*

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-26-2007, 10:36 PM
newamy, i scanned the pattern in (along with the graph) and downloaded a font called All Star... you can use that font in the graph and it comes out looking right :)

I've got the C for my son halfway done... (i had the front almost done, my cats decided to mark it so i had to start over).... i hope to have it done by the time school starts a week from wednesday

heather_dw
08-28-2007, 11:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/knit_tkscarffinished-1.gif

I finally finished the ravenclaw POA scarf for one of my internet buddies. It's not as long as my ravenclaw wide stripe scarf I made for hubby, but I didn't realize that until it was laying on my kitchen floor drying
:??

Mariblue
08-28-2007, 11:26 PM
That looks great, heather_dw! :cheering:

heather_dw
08-28-2007, 11:42 PM
thanks!
I need to make the bookscarves and I want to one day make the clock throw but it looks crazy hard!

Mariblue
08-29-2007, 11:46 AM
I want to make the clock throw too, but that's probably years from now (I've got so much on my list to knit!). I think it looks really fun!

knitknut
08-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Beautiful!

GinnyWeasley
08-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey guys! Still workin on my Ravenclaw scarf...its coming...sloely but surely lol. In the meantime I want to start on a gryffindor scraf for my friend maybe as an xmas gift but I have a few questions...

I want to do a thinner scarf because the atypically one that I am doing for my ravenclaw scarf is taking me forever!!

So I found this patter: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/scarves/wizard-scarf-1.htm

Now it calls for Double pointed needles...I have tried double pouints and I am just not getting it and I hate them lol...Is there a way to do a scarf this thin in width on circs?? I have looked at my local craft store and dont believe any of them there would hold only 40 stitches...theyd hold way more which means I might as well make another atypically one...

AGH! Help this frustrated HP scraf maker...PWEASE! :)

Lady Violet
08-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey guys! Still workin on my Ravenclaw scarf...its coming...sloely but surely lol. In the meantime I want to start on a gryffindor scraf for my friend maybe as an xmas gift but I have a few questions...

I want to do a thinner scarf because the atypically one that I am doing for my ravenclaw scarf is taking me forever!!

So I found this patter: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/scarves/wizard-scarf-1.htm

Now it calls for Double pointed needles...I have tried double pouints and I am just not getting it and I hate them lol...Is there a way to do a scarf this thin in width on circs?? I have looked at my local craft store and dont believe any of them there would hold only 40 stitches...theyd hold way more which means I might as well make another atypically one...

AGH! Help this frustrated HP scraf maker...PWEASE! :)

MAGIC LOOP!!! :cheering:
amy has a video here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/video/index.php?file=/adv-tech/magic-loop-knitting-rds.mpg). it's really easy and i think if you're having a hard time with DPNs, this might be the thing for you. just give it a shot. :thumbsup:

GinnyWeasley
08-31-2007, 01:53 AM
THANKS!!

That seems like something I can handle!

I tried DPN and it was a mess...I cannot stand all the other needles being in my way and...yea, didnt turn out lol

Ok...so my 16' circ wont do for this will it? I will need one longer than 24?

Lady Violet
08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
i have a 32" cable for my sz.7 KP options tips. i got them for doing socks. (i've only started the toe of one, and it's probably been about a month since that. :teehee:) i think that length is really good for something with a small width because there's not much tension pulling the cable in different directions. i've heard that you want at least 30" for magic loop. if you're doing two socks at a time with magic loop, you want at least 40". but for the scarf, i think 30" (or close) is good.

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Ginny, something to keep in mind is that if you're using Boye needles, magic loop might be near impossible. The cables on those needles are so thick that they are impossible to use for magic loop (at least for me).
In that case, it might be good to use 2 circular needles for knitting in the round. You can google "Knitting with two circular needles" or something similar.
I can't wait till my birthday, I'm planning on getting a set of knitpicks options, so that I'll be able to properly do magic loop. I use magic loop exclusively for my socks, on size 1 needles, and love it.
I hope this all makes sense, I'm on my way to the doctor in a few minutes for a sinus infection. :ick: I can barely think.

Lady Violet
08-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Mariblue, i hope you feel better really soon! :hug:

GinnyWeasley
08-31-2007, 05:32 PM
I really like the bamboo circs...they are my favs so far!! 30' in those should do it right??

Im starting my friends xmas gifts already cause I know it will take me awhile...They are going to be HP themed gifts for my HP fanatic friends lol

Im going to make her a scraf and mittens. Along with that I saw a good craft on Leaky for a "hondukes jar" that you paint and such...Then Im going to fill that with homemade gingerbread cookie mix inside the honeydukes jar with instructions on baking them!! Esssh Im getting creative this year HAHA

First thing is the scarf though!! And I dont even wanna think about the mittens...the pattern scares me!! I havent yet gotten away from scarves lol

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Lady Violet! I went to the doc today, so I should be feeling better soon. He says I am getting sinus infections much too often, and thinks I might have some allergies going on. He's given me a list of things to try as a preventative.
Ginny, those gifts sound like great ideas! I'm sure your friends will love them. I've never tried bamboo circs, they sound really nice.

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Along with that I saw a good craft on Leaky for a "hondukes jar" that you paint and such...Then Im going to fill that with homemade gingerbread cookie mix inside the honeydukes jar with instructions on baking them!! Esssh Im getting creative this year HAHA

Ginny, can you share the link for this? I tried looking on the website under crafts, but couldn't find anything. It sounds like a great idea!

GinnyWeasley
08-31-2007, 10:39 PM
ugh! They " haven yet to transfer the crafts section onto the new server." So yea, the link doesnt work.

But basically you buy a glass jar with a lid with paint that goes onto glass.

With this paint, paint the whole jar brown. Once this is dry, take either black paint with a thin brush or a black sharpie and then create small lines on top of the brown to make it look like wood.

Once that is dry, take some of the glass paint in a creamy yellow and create a square that acts a "label"...you can leave this rectangular or arch it....When that drys take your blakc paint (or sharpie) and write Honeydukes on it in fancy writing....VOILA! Honydukes wooden jar

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks, Ginny!

rachejm
09-03-2007, 08:12 AM
The Honeydukes jar sounds really cool, you'll have to post pictures and show us how it turns out. Not been doing much knitting lately, trying to finish a cross stitch I started but the Gryffindor scarf is still growing, if a little slower than I would like. Will put pictures on my new blog when I have new camera batteries!

GinnyWeasley
09-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Will definetly post some pics!

Question about Magic Loop....

Do you just need to knit like you do in the round?? Or do you need to purl too??

Lady Violet
09-03-2007, 11:45 PM
since every round is on the right side (as opposed to every other row), just knit. makes it so much easier! :wink:

GinnyWeasley
09-04-2007, 12:37 AM
PHEW!! lol.

Thanks!

I cant wait to get started on it later this week :)

Duckling326
09-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey anyone else try/ or have made the Bellatrix sock pattern? I have some on the needles right now and lots of fun! I'm knitting it with bamboo/merino fingering weight. I'll post a pic later!

rachejm
09-04-2007, 06:11 AM
have now put up a picture of my gryffindor scarf so far on my blog if anyone is interested.

Duckling326
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Here are the Bellatrix socks all completed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Duckling326/IM000386.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Duckling326/IM000385.jpg

Made with hand dyed fingering weight, bamboo/merino blend

Mariblue
09-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Rachjm, both your scarfs are looking great! I really need to get back to work on my dark mark scarf. It's been languishing.
Duckling326, your socks look awesome! They are really pretty colors.

dagny
09-07-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm super new but I saw this post on the main page. I've actually already joined you. I am making a POA Gryffindor scarf right now!

Mariblue
09-07-2007, 03:48 PM
:waving:Welcome, dagny!

rachejm
09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi dagny, welcome to the KAL. The socks look great duckling.

dagny
09-08-2007, 01:14 AM
OK here are a couple of pictures of my scarf so far, I got the baby to bed eaerly tonight and celebrated by knitting my butt off! I think I just did about 12 rows this evening.

I'm using knitpicks Andean Silk and teh colors are Hollyberry and Mustard. It's sooo soft :inlove:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/dagny35/IMG_2312.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/dagny35/IMG_2315.jpg

rachejm
09-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Scarf looks really good, I love the colours you chose, they are so Gryffindor!

Mariblue
09-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Ooo, that's pretty dagny! It looks great!

GinnyWeasley
09-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Beautiful scarf dagny!! Love the colours.

I just started my gryffindor scarf today and am about 15 rows in.

I decided to go with a dark burgandy like they have in the movies and a dakrer gold. Ill def post pictures when I get further in and HOPEFULLY I wont mess up this one! haha.

Question...when I change to the gold colour, it says to knit three rows of gold...Now when I first join the gold in does that count as a row? or is that more of like casting on the gold then the next row is row 1???

Lady Violet
09-09-2007, 08:39 PM
you start counting the gold rows with the very first gold stitch. whenever i do stripes in the round, i use the jogless jog (http://www.socknitters.com/kickback/joglessjog.htm). it prevents that hole you get between the first and last stitches of the first round in the new color, and it's really easy to do. :thumbsup:

GinnyWeasley
09-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks!

Hmm ok...I just finished the three rows of gold. I then switched back to the burgandy and that added another row of gold!?!

I knotted the burgandy onto the gold and then went along again with the burgandy and once I transfered back to the burgandy again, it added another row of gold....now I have 4 rows of gold instead of 3.....??????

and this may sound stupid. but mine isnt rolling at the end LOL...Thats never happened to me before....is that ok?

dagny
09-10-2007, 01:05 AM
I know exactly what you mean Ginny, I got confused too. I wasn't sure how to count the gold rows. It looked like three but when I joined in the red (burgundy) it turned out to be four. The loops on the needle are actually a row. So my first gold stretch has 4 rows instead of 3.

So I figure when you're counting rows of a color, each "v" in stockinette is one row, and the loops on the needle are a row too! Right guys? Right?!?! :help:

GinnyWeasley
09-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Ok....so in order to get 3 gold rows...I need to knit 2 rows then switch to the burgandy to get my third?? Is that how to do it??

I am soooo confused on rows. lol!

dagny
09-10-2007, 01:30 AM
No you still need to actually knit three rows of gold, but until you knit the next row in burgundy it only "looks" like you've knit two gold rows.

Mariblue
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
One thing that helps, is to mark down on paper that you've knitted a row after you finish each row. Dagny's right, though, it will look like you've got two knitted rows, but the stitches that are actually on the needle will be gold too, and that's the third row. Once you get three little pencil marks, you'll know it's safe to go ahead and start with the burgundy color, examine your knitting and see what it looks like so you'll know for the next time. It'll get easier!

rachejm
09-10-2007, 11:03 AM
marking it on a piece of paper helped me. I'm really bad at counting rows cos I always lose count about halfway up so I found that noting each round on a piece of paper helped to keep track of colour changes with my large stripe scarf. I did invest in a row counter but kept forgetting to turn it round!!!
You just have to remember that when you first join the gold to do your first gold row you are knitting burgandy stitches off the needles so you end up with a burgandy row. So when you do three gold rows it looks like you've done two because the first one actually turned out burgandy. But when you change back to burgandy the first row you knit will add the extra gold one as you are knitting the gold stitches off.

rachejm
09-10-2007, 11:05 AM
does that make sense?

GinnyWeasley
09-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Ok...Im stupid and am still not understanding...

Ok when I first add on the gold that counts as row one even though no stitches are showing up???? right???

Lady Violet
09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
yep. when you count rows, you start with the very first one you knit - not the first one that shows. the pattern should say if they mean something different.

GinnyWeasley
09-10-2007, 04:59 PM
AHhhhh ok! Thanks! Now I understand :)

That was my mistake... When I added the gold I counted the first one that showed which should have been row 2..not one..*light bulb goes off* lol.

rachejm
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I did that a couple of times before I figures it out so ur not alone

GinnyWeasley
09-14-2007, 02:14 PM
UGH...ok for some reason...on my gold lines where they meet isnt even! The end of the gold line if higher than the start...The forst line Is wonky, because I stupidly tried to tie on the old tail with the new tail even though they were different colours...yea, stupid. That explains the first line but I have NO idea why the others are weird!! :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/snuffles8522/Picture161.jpg

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it??

Mariblue
09-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Ginny, you're knitting in the round, so technically you're knitting a spiral, so when you're changing colors, it's normal for that to happen. Take a look at my gryffindor socks on
this page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=904958#post904958) and you'll see what I mean.
Lady Violet mentioned the jogless jog (http://www.socknitters.com/kickback/joglessjog.htm), which can help with that. I tried it a couple times, and it's not too hard. It was my first time trying that method on the socks, so there are a couple rows that look better than others, but oh well. The color changes are on the inside of my feet, so I don't think too many people will notice. :teehee: Your scarf is looking great, by the way. Don't worry too much!

GinnyWeasley
09-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks! I thought It was me who messed up or something! lol.

Ok, I will have to give that jogless jog a try...

GinnyWeasley
09-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Im trying to understand it...lol. Am I just knitting the first stitch of the new colour and the last stitch of the old colour as one??

Mariblue
09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, at least I think so. :teehee: That is what I did. And while it didn't make the color change completely smooth, it did even it up somewhat, and that is the general idea. I think.

gargoylelib
09-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi,

Just thought I'd share some pics here of my first Harry
Potter related items. I am participating in a swap in the
Yahoo Group Harry Potter Crafts. We were supposed to
make an item from the Weasley household or that looks as
if it has come from the Weasley household so I made up
my own throw pillow cover. Just a mix match of yarns that
I had in my stash (acrylic, my swap pal has allergies) and
to make it seem more magical I put cabled runes on the
front. I used transliteration to write "rest" so I hope I didn't
accidentally put a curse on the pillow....hehe :)
The other item is my first pathetic attempt at fair isle and
as you can see I have some practice to do before I can
say I know how to do stranded color work....:)

The pics are here (http://picasaweb.google.com/libbie.suntioinen/Knits)....

Thanks for looking!
Libbie :)

beckyrhae
09-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Libbie your colorwork looks great! And I LOVE the pillow cover!!

Mariblue
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Libbie, I think your colorwork looks great too! The pillow is awesome, very clever to write "rest" in the runes, it seems like something Molly Weasley would really do. :cheering:

rachejm
09-20-2007, 04:56 PM
That looks fantastic Libbie!!!

gargoylelib
09-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Thanks for your kind words! The stranded colorwork
bag I pulled my floats too tightly on the checkerboard
part and ended up with what looks like pleats...oops! haha...
The good thing is since I made it into a drawstring bag it
sort of looks like it was on purpose...well, at least that's
my story and I'm sticking to it! :)
I want to make for myself the rune pillow because I think
they came out alot neater than I expected but I am not
nearly so chaotic in my color tastes so I will probalby
make myself one in only one or two colors :)

If anyone is interested in the cabled runes they are from
the Elsebeth Lavold book Viking Patterns to Knit, you can
see it here (http://www.amazon.com/Viking-Patterns-Knitting-Inspiration-Projects/dp/157076137X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6430454-2941215?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190355371&sr=8-1).

dagny
09-24-2007, 12:52 AM
I love them Libbie, definitely look like something straight out of the Weasley home :yay:

rachejm
10-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Quick update, my Gryffindor wide stripes scarf is now 13 stripes long. I am also nearly finished with the second chart of the dark mark scarf, will put pics on my blog when I've finished the chart.

Mariblue
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
That sounds great, rachejm. I look forward to seeing pictures. My slytherin socks have taken a back seat to some other projects I've got going on. But I'll definately post pictures here when they are finished.

gamerchik
10-06-2007, 02:25 AM
Hi ladies! Nice to see some familiar faces and some new ones as well! I've looked back a little and the HP stuff is looking great!!!

I've been knitting other stuff lately (and I'm pregnant!) so I haven't been paying as much attention to my HP knitting as I was doing back in June. My Slytherin scarf is still on the needles and I do knit a few rows from time to time! LOL. However the Gryffindor scarf is all tucked away and waiting for cold weather.

Anyway...just wanted to stop in and say hello!!!

*Hugs to all*

:cheering::muah::muah::cheering:

Mayday
10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I have read through this entire thread. Lots of great HP projects! I made several HP themed items prior to movie 5 and book 7. I'll post a couple pics next time i'm on my other computer.

I have a question for those of you who have knit the dark mark illusion scarf.

I am all ready to go to start this project, but reading your posts I'm a little concerned about curling on the sides. Do you think that adding 5 stitches in garter stitch on each side would help with the curling? Would the 10 extra stitches make it too wide? I'm looking forward to starting this soon!

oh, one more question..
this will be my first time reading a chart... do I read it:
Row 1: read chart from left to right
Row 2: read chart from right to left????

TIA
mayday

Mayday
10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Well, I started, so I guess I'm officially doing this KAL. I hope it's OK I just joined myself.

I did add the 5 stitches of garter stitch on each edge. so far it's not curling, but i'm not too far yet.

I'lll keep you updated with pics and progress.

Mayday

Mariblue
10-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Mayday, I've heard that other's have done some garter stitch edgings as well, and that it really helped the curling issue. I ended up totally frogging mine. I plan on redoing it in the round at some point, because I want it to be double sided.
About the chart reading:
When you are on a right side row you usually read the chart from right to left. And a wrong side from left to right. If I remember correctly, you just knit across all the right side rows. On the wrong side is where the real magic for the knits and purls comes in.

gamerchik, I wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy again! That is soooo exciting! I just love babies. :cheering:

Mayday
10-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks Mariblue

Knitting in the round sounds cool too! I suppose there will be some pattern adapting to get the knit and purls that are normally done on the back right. Will you do it so there wiull be the dark mark on both sides, or just a solid color in the back?

Mayday

Mariblue
10-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it will take some adapting. Not sure yet if I'd do the mark on both sides. I might. But then, it would be nice to go a little more incognito at times and have it on one side only.
I'm also thinking of doing it in black and gray. I originally got the bright green to go with it, and I love the way it looks with the green, but have to be honest with myself and I probably would never wear it. I saw a picture of someone's scarf in black and gray and it looked really nice.

gamerchik
10-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks, Mariblue!!! We are so happy and excited. :cheering::cheering::cheering:

gargoylelib
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh that's a good idea to knit the dark mark scarf in the
round...may have to make myself another one and try that!
I love the green and black together so much (I wear alot of
green so it fits my wardrode) that I have decided to make
myself a whole fall ensemble...haha I am making some green
and black gloves and am planning to embroider "morsmordre"
on the back to fit the theme and I want to make a hat or a
sort of head covering in the green and black but haven't decided on a design yet. My scarf curls but I don't think it
matters because when you are wearing it you are the only one who can really see the symbol by looking down the scarf. Of course, I suppose if you were stepping over someone laying on the street in true death eater style and they looked
up they could see the mark hehe :) My point being that
anytime I want to show someone the illusion part of teh scarf
I always have to lay it out on a table so they can adjust
their viewing angle and so the curling is irrelevant.

Mariblue
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Ooo, I love the idea for the gloves!

Of course, I suppose if you were stepping over someone laying on the street in true death eater style and they looked
up they could see the mark hehe :)

I can just imagine some small kid looking up, and seeing the mark! They probably wouldn't know what it was, but still. :teehee:

On a side note, gargoylelib, I noticed that you are from Finland. Can I assume you speak Finnish then? :) I found this really pretty scarf (http://www.ullaneule.net/0107/ohjeet_honka.html)
pattern, but it's written in Finnish. It looks like it's double knit. But I've never double knit anything before, so can't be sure. If it is double knit, then I could probably just follow the chart that's provided. But I thought I'd ask just in case you can help?
Thanks. :cheering:

Mayday
10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I love the glove idea too!!!! If you make those, make sure you post a pic will ya????

Mayday

gargoylelib
10-10-2007, 01:33 AM
On a side note, gargoylelib, I noticed that you are from Finland. Can I assume you speak Finnish then? :) I found this really pretty scarf (http://www.ullaneule.net/0107/ohjeet_honka.html)
pattern, but it's written in Finnish. It looks like it's double knit. But I've never double knit anything before, so can't be sure. If it is double knit, then I could probably just follow the chart that's provided. But I thought I'd ask just in case you can help?
Thanks. :cheering:

Actually, I am an American living in Finland! Anyway, yes
the patterns is done with double knit so I see no reason
why you couldn't just follow the chart. The instructions
basically say to just follow the chart after explaining a bit
about setting up for double knitting. Thanks for posting
that btw, it's beautiful! I was just checking that site
yesterday because they have a new cabled ankle length
sweater coat pattern for fall that I'd love to do but have
no time for right now!
Oh, you can pm if you have questions about the pattern
and I'll help out if I can :)
Libbie

Mariblue
10-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Actually, I am an American living in Finland!
I see. The closest I ever got to Finland was the Netherlands, which really isn't very close at all! I spent a couple years living in England when I was a teenager, and while I got to travel to the Netherlands, and Germany, mostly I just traveled in England itself.
Yesterday I practiced a double knit swatch, and after spending an hour thinking I was doing it wrong when I wasn't, it seems to have worked out. It's a really pretty scarf. Now I just need to find the perfect yarn. The Noro yarn is really pretty, but waaaay to scratchy for me, and I would never wear it if I used that yarn. I just need to find a yarn that has soft gradual color changes like the Noro.
Thanks for the help! :hug:

Lady Violet
10-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I was just checking that site
yesterday because they have a new cabled ankle length
sweater coat pattern for fall that I'd love to do but have
no time for right now!

if that's the same sweater coat i just found on that site, i understand why you like it so much. it rendered my speechless. that pattern is definitely worth learning another language. now if only i could find an equally amazing pattern in scots-gaelic! :wink:

has anyone thought about doing ron's sweater from GOF that's in the back of charmed knits? it's the very last one. i didn't even notice it in the movie until after i saw it in the book and decided to intentionally look for it. he's wearing it on the train in the beginning. i've noticed lately that sweaters with the button thing going on are popping up a lot for this winter. i bet molly never thought she'd be ahead of the muggle fashion world! :teehee:

Mariblue
10-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Holy cow, I think I just found the cabled sweater coat you are talking about, and it's beautiful! There are some really pretty patterns on that site, and the only thing I can think of is the injustice of it all that I don't speak Finnish!
I am for sure making that scarf though at some point. Probably after the Christmas holidays.
I didn't notice Ron's sweater in the movie either. I'll have to make sure and look out for it the next time I get to see the movie. It's a cute sweater.

gargoylelib
10-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I can't resist that sweater coat! I am going to print
out the instructions and see how hard it will be to translate.
I have managed translations on simpler patterns with no
problems so I think I am ready to tackle something more
complicated. It is just too gorgeous to pass up...one more
thing to add to the list of things to do! haha :)

I guess I'll have to just suffer and force myself to watch
GoF to check out the sweater. I don't have Charmed Knits
yet...it is on my shopping list for my visit to the States
next month. Are they many good patterns in it?

Mayday
10-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I saw the sweater in the Charmed Knits book. It's really cute with the big buttons. I wasn't sure where it was in the movie. I hope they come out with a Charmed Knits 2 after the last 2 movies come out. There were some cute knits from movie 5 and I bet there will be even more in the next 2 movies!

rachejm
10-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I hope they come out with a Charmed Knits 2 after the last 2 movies come out.

I second this!!! I'd buy a copy!!!

new_knitter
10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I am joining too if it isn't too late. I need to knit up a Gryffindor scarf pretty fast. Sometime I also want to do a book scarf. And by the way... how do you get one of the KAL buttons in your signature?

rachejm
10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
New progress pics on my blog!!! I finally got Dark Mark chart 2 done!!!

Mariblue
10-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Welcome, new_knitter! :waving: I don't know how to get one of the buttons, but I remember that in the first few pages of this knit-along, they posted pics of the buttons that you can use. Maybe they talk about how to get it in your signature there.

Your dark mark scarf is looking great, rachejm! Also, your gryffindor scarf looks really good too! :thumbsup:

gargoylelib, I really like the Charmed Knits book. It has a lot of cute Harry Potter stuff in it. Some of these patterns are already free on the internet as well, though not all of them are. I'm glad to have it though. I'm such an HP nut, I collect any and all the patterns I can just for fun!

new_knitter
10-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I thought I would post my progress on the Gryffindor scarf I am knitting. My son and his GF and another couple are dressing up as characters from the movie for a costume dance at school. I am using Red Heart yarn in Burgundy and Gold. I almost wish I had used nicer yarn, but it seemed silly for this purpose.

Thanks to my DH messing with my counter :mad: and my lack of knowing just how to count rows, the first burgundy band will be a row longer than the others. I am hoping if I make the last row the same, it won't be noticed. :oo:

Lady Violet
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
if you hadn't said anything, i wouldn't have noticed. i still can't tell. :wink:

Mayday
10-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Rachejm~Your dark mark scarf is looking good. I am done with the first 2 charts and am now on the middle rows. I am trying to learn continental knitting on this middle section, so I started a little slow, but am now picking up speed.

new knitter~I can't tell at all that the rows are uneven. I even tried to count and couldn't find a difference! Looks good!

Here's a pic of me and my son at the HP7 book party. My son in his Hufflepuff hat from Charmed Knits and me in my Gryffindor scarf/belt also from Charmed Knits.

mayday

rachejm
10-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the compliments!!!

The gryffindor scarf is coming along great new knitter, I can't tell the difference. I think some of the stripes on mine are uneven where I forgot to tally a round. I figure its more of a unique design feature than a mistake.

Mayday, the hat and belt are wicked, looks like you are having a great time in the pic. Can't wait to see your dark mark scarf, mine is on a go slow at the moment cos I've got essays to write and practical reports to do for my psychology degree, I hate Uni sometimes, it takes away my knitting time!!! I wouldn't have the patience to learn continental knitting now that I am used to English knitting so I admire you for doing it, let me know how it goes.

Mayday
10-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Rachejm~The switching of knitting type was difficult at first. But, I knew I wasn't going to get any faster at the ol' english style. Now after 2 days of practicing on 3 rows of knit and 1 row of purl for this project, I have to say I'm at least as fast as I was at English. I was an English knitter for over 10 years and never tried to switch. I think I'll like the switch after a few more days of getting used to the tension and all.

Mayday

new_knitter
10-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the compliments Lady Violet, Mayday and rachjm. Slowly but surely it is coming along.

rachejm, your Dark Mark Scarf is looking great! I have no idea how to do illusion knitting yet, but the effect looks wonderful.

Mayday, you and your son look like you are having a good time at the HP7 party. I love the hat and scarf! I tried both ways of knitting when I was learning. I think you will find the Continental method a lot faster.

rachejm
10-15-2007, 06:05 AM
rachejm, your Dark Mark Scarf is looking great! I have no idea how to do illusion knitting yet, but the effect looks wonderful.

Its surprisingly simple to do actually, which surprised me when I started looking into doing it. All you need to be able to do is knit, purl and follow a chart. If you want to give it a go you are in the right place because I had loads of advice about doing it from this board. Particularly Knit ALL Right Side Rows!!! because a lot of people didn't realise that so it was one of the first things I was told when asking about it.

Mayday, I'm glad you are happy with the continental style, I just couldn't get my head around it. However, as I am currently trying to get my friend into knitting perhaps I could do the garter stitch scarf that she is doing and try it continental style. I have tried doing the knit stitch continental but gave up very quickly because it was awkward and I couldn't get the tension.

new_knitter
10-16-2007, 12:06 PM
My Gryffindor scarf is up to four stripes. :X: It seems to be going pretty fast and I should make my deadline :cheering:

Mayday
10-16-2007, 02:26 PM
thats great! I love the griffindor colors! I can'tt wait to see it!
Mayday

ladyjessica
10-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Can I join this too? I'm going to be making Ron's Animal Crackers hat from Charmed Knits soon for my nephew. I also want to make Hermione's amazing knitting bag, or whatever the technical title is, and the cable and bobble hat and mittens. :waving:

rachejm
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Welcome ladyjessica!!!

Glad the scarf is growing nicely new_knitter, hopefully you will be able to post a picture of the finished article soon.

I'm supposed to be working at the moment, I have papers to read and analyse for an essay I have to write so no knitting tonight so far, might do some later. As you can tell the working isn't going so well. I might have to go sit in the living room away from the pc, only problem is that the tv is in there!!!

new_knitter
10-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Welcome ladyjessica! I would love to see a picture of Hermione's Amazing Knitting Bag. The name has me curious :think: Not that I need to get distracted with another project...

Hope you managed to get your work done, rachejm! What kind of work do you do?

rachejm
10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm a student in the UK, I'm studying for a degree in Psychology at the moment, so basically I'm doing research and writing papers about other people's theories and experiments and stuff. Yesterday I was attempting to read and highlight some journal articles so that I can pick out stuff for an essay I need to write by November 5th. Tonight I am analysing interviews so that I can come up with my own theory about skilled joint action. I didn't get the reading done yesterday but I have managed to do the analysis of interviews so I might try some reading today while I'm in the right frame of mind for that sort of thing.

In other news, I found yarn heaven today - in Birmingham there is a huge House of Fraser and on the top floor I found the biggest selection of yarn I have ever seen, there aren't many yarn shops near me and the ones that are around are small. I bought some new knitting needles because I have used my 4mm ones to death and some buttons for my calorimetry. No recent HP knitting to report tho, except a few more rows on the Gryffindor scarf!

new_knitter
10-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Wow rachejm. That sounds really interesting. Good luck in your studies!

Yarn heaven sounds pretty interesting too :happydance:

Mayday
10-17-2007, 05:44 PM
HI everyone and welcome ladyjessica! I can't wait to see the animal crackers hat. I thought that was so cute in the book!

rachejm~Your research sounds interesting. And kudos on your yarn find. I bet your eyes were HUGE!

I am plugging away at the middle section of my dark mark scarf. I am leaving in the morning for a cabin up north minnesota, so I should have much reralxing knitting time this weekend! Hopefully I will come home with a FO!!!!!

mayday

ladyjessica
10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Welcome ladyjessica! I would love to see a picture of Hermione's Amazing Knitting Bag. The name has me curious :think: Not that I need to get distracted with another project...

Hope you managed to get your work done, rachejm! What kind of work do you do?
Thanks! I had it wrong, it's Hermione's Magic Knitting Bag, and it's in the Charmed Knits book, toward the end, I think ( I don't have the book handy right now). If you don't have the book, it's like a messenger-style striped, felted bag, and you attach nylon strips for the handles. I really like it. I did a google search for the name and found a few pictures of it that way too. Maybe after Christmas......lol.

rachejm
10-19-2007, 05:33 AM
i like that bag, its a nice design.

I am now on stripe 16 on my gryffindor scarf so nearly there now. I'm hoping the acrylic softens up when I wash it because its not the nicest yarn to wear around your neck.

Currently flicking through Silver's sock tutorial, seriously considering learning to knit socks, then I can do some of the nice HP sock patterns they have around the net. Any tips?

new_knitter
10-19-2007, 10:16 AM
I like that bag too.

Wow rachejm! :cheering: You are way ahead of me. I am way back on stripe seven! Just been too busy [or perhaps I am a really slow knitter], but I have to be done by the 26th! :X::X::X:

I have a question. The end where I started keeps wanting to roll up. Will blocking (which I have to find out how to do) take care of that.... or maybe just putting the fringe on?

Thanks!

Mariblue
10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Ooo, I like that Hermione Bag pattern too. It's really nice.
Silver's Sock tutorial is really good. I didn't actually knit a sock from her tutorial, but I read through the whole thing, and realized that I could knit a sock if I wanted to. It's the whole "turning the heel" thing that has most people nervous. I guess my advice is just give it a try! You can do it. And we're all here to help if you need it! The first sock pattern I actually knit was the universal toe up sock formula from knitty.com. I love that sock formula!

rachejm
10-20-2007, 05:11 PM
i've been working on my scarf for a few months now so its actually fairly slow progress but I'm getting there. Thanks for the sock tips, I may have a go but it will have to wait until I can go get some more supplies.

AngMac
10-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi! I'm new to KH and I stumbled upon this KAL. I am currently working on Hedwig from the Charmed Knits book. I am only partly through the body and I already love how he is going to look.

new_knitter
10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
I am frantically knitting this Gryffinor scarf for my son. It has to be done by Friday. It is the house scarf pattern from Charmed Knits. My question is about the first row curling. Will that come out with blocking? Or when I close up the tube with the fringe, will that take care of the problem.

I am on stripe 10 of 19, knitting my little heart out, but there's that nagging question in the back of my mind that I am wasting my time and it isn't going to turn out right :help:

gargoylelib
10-22-2007, 01:36 AM
I am frantically knitting this Gryffinor scarf for my son. It has to be done by Friday. It is the house scarf pattern from Charmed Knits. My question is about the first row curling. Will that come out with blocking? Or when I close up the tube with the fringe, will that take care of the problem.

I am on stripe 10 of 19, knitting my little heart out, but there's that nagging question in the back of my mind that I am wasting my time and it isn't going to turn out right :help:

Adding the fringe will take care of the problem so
don't worry!

new_knitter
10-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Libbie, Thank you so much!:hug::hug:

I think I will even knit faster knowing it will look ok in the end!

Thanks again!

Mariblue
10-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Hi! I'm new to KH and I stumbled upon this KAL. I am currently working on Hedwig from the Charmed Knits book. I am only partly through the body and I already love how he is going to look.

Ooo, can you show us a picture when you are done?
That's a really cute pattern!
And, welcome to KH! :waving:

gargoylelib
10-22-2007, 01:55 AM
:) No problem, I know just how that feels! Happy knitting!
Libbie

new_knitter
10-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Welcome AngMac! I can't wait to see your Hedwig!

Lady Violet
10-22-2007, 06:32 PM
welcome to the KAL, AngMac! :hug:
if you come across any errors in the pattern (just in case), could you let us know? i have a friend who is in love with that thing, so i think i'm going to have to knit her one. she also wants something with snape's face :teehee:, but that's gonna have to wait a while. maybe an afghan for graduation in a year and a half.

AngMac
10-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! I will definitely let you all know if I come across any errors and how it is coming along. I have to really get working on it. I am making him for a Xmas present. :)

new_knitter
10-23-2007, 10:34 PM
My Gryffindor Scarf is coming along. I am on stripe 14! I am really starting to like the scarf and wish I had used nicer thread... and maybe something a little lighter. The double layer of Red Heart is a little heavy.

It is all knit stitches and I am even stepping into the realm of knitting w/o looking :woohoo:

Got to scoot. 6 more stripes to go :X::X::X:

Lady Violet
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
WTG new_knitter! double stranded blind knitting is a VERY impressive feat! :woohoo:

AngMac
10-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I finished the body of Hedwig last night! :woohoo: I am starting on the head today. :cheering: Here is what he looks like so far...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/angmac_01/100_8152.jpg http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/angmac_01/100_8153.jpg

new_knitter
10-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Don't be so impressed, Lady Violet. It is just single strand blind knitting.... and I am just learning that. The scarf is knit in a tube, so the scarf has two layers when it is finished.

AngMac, Hedwig is looking good!

Lady Violet
10-24-2007, 11:58 PM
still, there are plenty of people who can't knit "blind", even single-stranded. :wink:

new_knitter
10-26-2007, 12:45 AM
I am taking a short break from my Gryffindor Scarf. I am on stripe 17 and my right hand is aching.... just the right one.... perhaps because I am a lefty but knit right handed... I don't know. I can't believe how much I am liking this scarf. I will reknit my son one in nicer yarn, if he will really wear it. Another cappuchino and more :X: :X: :X: It has to be finished by tomorrow afternoon.

rachejm
10-26-2007, 03:43 AM
Welcome AngMac!
I wish I could knit something up that fast new_knitter, my scarf is still stuck where i last left it cos i've been trying to get some assignments done, can't wait til christmas break, then i'll have loads of knitting time and my birthday money to spend! Anyway I shall dedicate the morning to knitting as my assignment is causing major stress and maybe I'll be able to get a bit closer to finishing the scarf and relax a bit so i can do some more of my assignment later.

new_knitter
10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I am knitting the last stripe of the HP scarf this morning.... had to be finished for tonight, remember? For my son who was going with a group dressed up as HP characters....

And my DS informs me this a.m. that his GF has changed her mind and isn't going as a HP character. He's in middle school, so I can understand that he might not want to go as Harry Potter if it wasn't a group thing, BUT :waah:

There's a lot of stinking stitches in this scarf and I have worked my fingers to the bone to try to get this done in time! AAUGH!

AND I haven't been able to work on the Christmas gifts I was wanted to do this year.

My hand hurts, I am really tired, and :grrr:

gargoylelib
10-26-2007, 09:33 AM
*ouch* Sorry to hear that! You can wear the scarf and say you
are a Gryffindor alumni...? Hope he decides to be Harry after all
the hardwork you've put in!!

Mariblue
10-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Oh no! :sad: Since you're so close to being done, you could still finish it. I'm sure that it would make a great gift for a HP fan. You should put that scarf away for a little while though, it sounds like it needs a time out!

AngMac
10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Awww. What a stinker. I would still finish it. Hopefully, he will still go as HP. But if not it will still make a nice winter scarf.

AngMac
10-27-2007, 12:03 AM
I have finished all of Hedwig's parts. :woohoo: I am going to get him sewn together, add some eyes and a beck and get him stuffed this weekend.

Here is a pic of what he looks like so far:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/angmac_01/100_8168.jpg

new_knitter
10-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Well I was surprised when I got a text from my son saying he did want to go as Harry. Originally there were 4 of them, but his GF changed her mind, so there were just three. The won best group, he had fun, and the scarf was a hit :woot: Despite the cheap yarn, it turned out pretty good I think. I just might have to do another one is softer yarn before the next movie is released. Yarn suggestions anyone?

By the way, my DS isn't usually so aggravating and he told me how much he appreciated the scarf :happydance:

Here's a couple of pictures

new_knitter
10-27-2007, 12:48 AM
AngMac,

I love your Hedwig! He is coming along really quickly too! Good job :thumbsup:

gargoylelib
10-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Angmac your Hedwig is looking great! I've gotta get that book....

NewKnitter you did a great job on the scarf! Glad ds decided to
wear it after all! I'd like to hear some yarn suggestions for something
nice...I want to make one in Ravenclaw colors but just haven't found
the right yarn yet!

AngMac
10-27-2007, 08:19 AM
The scarf looks really great! :yay: I am so glad that you DS wore the scarf and how great that they won the best group costume. :cheering:

rachejm
10-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Hedwig is looking great AngMac, can't wait to see the finished owl.

New_knitter the scarf came out really well, I'm glad he decided to wear it in the end!

Mariblue
10-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Ang Mac, your hedwig is looking awesome! I like the yarn you chose for it, all speckly and pretty!

new_knitter, that is so exciting that he wore the scarf and that they won the best group costume! The scarf looks great!:cheering:

GinnyWeasley
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone!!

Im back from my knitting vaca lol.

First of all, great job on the hedwig and the scarf!!! They both look wonderful guyss.

Can you believe I am still working on my gryffindor scarf....I had to stop for a while (hence why Ive been MIA on here) because my fingers lol. It sounds stupid but my fingers were cracking and soo incredibly sore. I even tried putting bandaids on them but I found it too hard to work with them on. Any tips??? hehe. :)

new_knitter
10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
I have tried to post this twice alreadly... Maybe 3rd time's a charm....

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words during the craziness and for the kind words on how my scarf turned out. It was all worth it when he came home having had such a good time. The scarf was a hit too. Everyone was asking where he got it :happydance:

AngMac, Hedwig is coming along so fast! I can't wait to see him completed.

Rachjm, I hate it when pesky responsibities get in the way of knitting! Glad you got some knitting in and I am looking forward to seeing your scarf.

Ditto on the sore, cracked fingers, GinnyWeasley. Mine look bad!

Libbie, someone suggested I try Plymouth Encore or Caron Simply Soft and yarn alternatives. I haven't checked the colors yet.

Next for me is Felted Clogs, but I am interested in doing another Gryffindor scarf and a bookscarf or two....

Mayday
10-30-2007, 12:40 PM
WOW! The Hedwig is supere cute! And that gryffindor scarf is great!

Good work guys!

I'm finally past the middle part of my dark mark scarf. The rest should knit up fairly quickly.

mayday

GinnyWeasley
10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Im almost finished chunk 4 on my POA style scarf. Im determind to finish this and the COS scarf before xmas. I need to give them away as xmas gifts lol.

new_knitter
11-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Way to go Ginny! :cheering:

GinnyWeasley
11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
hehe GO ME!

Question....when I finish this do I just di a regular knit bind off?!

March_girl16
11-02-2007, 08:09 PM
wow, that looks cool

new_knitter
11-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Ginny, That's what I did on my scarf.

KatieBeee
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Hello All! I just got the Charmed knits book and then stumbled on this KAL. Is it too late to join?
I am finishing up an anti-christmas stocking for my roommate and then it is on to Ron's Animal Crackers hat. I saw PCwombat's so totally awesome one. Has anyone else completed this hat? I am concerned that with the big yarn and needles the colorwork will come out kind of gappy.
I am also looking for a pattern for the other hat Ron wears in prizoner of azkaban if anyone knows where I can find it. Here is a still of the ron and Hermione and the hat. http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/flipbook.php?id=51&page=7
Hope the link works because I have never done one before!!

rachejm
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Katiebeee! Welcome to the KAL, its never too late to join, as long as there are Harry Potter patterns to knit I intend to stay in the KAL!

Alas the HP knitting has not been going so well lately. Life got in the way of my knitting time, as it so often does and now that I have my knitting time back I am knitting socks because I wanted to learn how to do it so I treated myself to a trip to the LYS for supplies. I now have 4ins of ribbing for the cuff and am trying to decide whether to stop there or not. Any tips? This is my very first sock and my first attempt at knitting in the round on dpns, its not as hard as I thought, just took a little getting used to.

The Gryffindor scarf is still MIA because I keep forgetting to bring it back to Uni with me. The Dark Mark hasn't grown much since I finished the second chart, I've been doing bits of the background here and there but not putting in too much work on it. I plan to have a blitz of my UFOs and get as many done as possible over the Christmas break.

Happy knitting all

xxx

KatieBeee
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi Rach, thanks for the welcome.
I am actually knitting a sock right now. The only thing I would say about double pointed needles themselves is that it is soooo important to knit the first 2 stiches of each needle (maybe 3) tight to keep that ladder thing from happening where you have obvious gaps where your needles begin. I would stop ribbing now unless your pattern calls for the whole leg to be ribbed. Also, you can pick up extra stitches along the sides of the heel (after you have turned the heel) if you need to because you can have gaps show up where the instep connects to the gusset. I do love knitting socks but I HATE knitting the second sock. So, this year I am knitting every one christmas stockings! One sock and I'm done!!
I know what you mean about life getting in the way of your knitting. Mine is about to totally knock it out for at least the next week. Which for me, around christmas time, is like forever!
Happy Knitting!:knitting:

rachejm
11-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the tips! :muah: I'm not actually knitting it from a pattern, I'm just using Silver's Sock tutorial to get me started with the techniques. I didn't want to do it from a pattern first time out then find that it didn't even look like a sock after putting all that work in doing gauge swatches and figuring out the pattern and following it. She recommends 8ins of ribbing for the cuff/ankle or less if u want it shorter, I don't like long socks, I mostly have trainer liners so I'll probably stop soon. Will let u know how it goes, got the hard bits coming up!

Happy knitting!!! :knitting:

GinnyWeasley
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I would really love to make a HP hat but alot of the patterns call for DPN's and...well....DPN scare me!! lol. I tried them once and failed miserably :(

rachejm
11-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I was scared of them too, took a bit of getting used to. I'm still a little scared of them, so many points to keep track of so i don't poke my eye out but so far so good. You could try doing magic loop hats instead.

GinnyWeasley
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I just dont understand how you go from a circ to a DPN...I know on some patterns it calls for circs then you use DPN. That confuses me lol.

I tried magic loop and was bbaaaaaaad haha. I guess it will take several failed attempts to do it though.

ladyjessica
11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi, KatieBeee! :waving: I made the animal crackers hat about a month ago and had to rip it all out because it wasn't big enough for my nephew, so I'm about to start it again in the larger size. Anyway, even with the big yarn and needles, the colorwork came out really nicely, so never fear.:cool:

KatieBeee
11-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Jessica, If you do the hat again will you let me know how it goes? I would love to see some from other folks!

ladyjessica
11-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Jessica, If you do the hat again will you let me know how it goes? I would love to see some from other folks!

I surely will. I'm hoping to get it started over the weekend, after I finish the wretched Christmas stocking! ;)

I'll post pics when I'm finished. Hopefully it will fit him this time...

KatieBeee
11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Jessica, It looks like you and I will be knitting the same hat at the same time. I managed to cobble together enough yarn from my stash so I only need to buy one more skein to get started. (which is awesome because I always seem to be totally broke this time of year!) I am not going to use the big yarn and needles in the pattern in the book though. I don't like those big stitches, so I am dropping the yarn gauge and upping the # of stitches. I'll post some pics as well. Good luck!

ladyjessica
11-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Good luck to you, too, Katie! It really was an easy and quick project and it almost made me sick when I realized it wasn't big enough and I had to rip it out. But, oh well. I knit on. lol. I splurged and got the Rowan that the pattern called for, just to do it once and see what kind of texture and colors I was supposed to be using. You'll have to let me know how it turns out with the different yarn. Maybe I'll get to start that soon. hehe. Have fun with it. :happydance:

GinnyWeasley
11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I am now at the halfway point of my POA scarf! If my camera wasnt broken I would post a pic but it is b-e-a-utiful! :D However, I need to put it on hold while I start my friends COS scarf that I am giving her for Christmas. I just hope I can get it done on time!!! lol.

rachejm
11-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I haven't finished either my gryffindor scarf or my dark mark scarf, mayb i'll finish them for next winter. I am loving knitting my first sock tho, I've turned the heel and picked up stitches, done the gusset decreases and have another inch to work before I start the toes. Its not as hard as I though it would be. Mayb I'll do some HP socks, after I've finished the current socks and the two scarves...I get a bit carried away starting new things and not finishing old things.

Can't wait for progress pics ginny. Let us know when ur camera is fixed/replaced/u borrow some1 elses

Mayday
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi! I have had this done for a while. I put a garter stitch edge on it to try to keep it from curling. It helped a little.

Mariblue
11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Mayday, that looks awesome!
I haven't done any Harry Potter knitting in awhile, but am hoping to get back to it as soon as the holidays are over.

rachejm
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Looks good Mayday, haven't managed to find the inspiration to do mine in the last week, it hasn't grown much. I did finish my first ever sock tho! And it fits and it looks like a sock too so I'm quite proud of myself, just got to do another one now, I'm sure I'll find the motivation from somewhere, I did cast it on, just haven't done anything else with it.

Lady Violet
11-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Mayday, that looks fantabulous! i stopped scrolling when the first pic was on the screen and actually almost turned my head to try to see the Dark Mark. :doh: i guess that means you did a really good job. :teehee:

2FrenchBritmom
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
I just recently bought Charmed Knits and have begun knitting Hedwig out of JoAnn's Angel Hair yarn. It is so soft and perfect for a cuddly stuffed animal . . . to be a gift for my sister for Christmas, another HP fan.

Mariblue
11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
2FrenchBritmom, I bet that little owl will be so cute!

I haven't done any HP knitting in what feels like forever! I plan on getting back to my Slytherin house socks after the holidays. I needed to take a bit of a break from them, I had to keep re-knitting the heel. I'd get to the last short row and have the heel almost completed, when I would accidentally drop a stitch, and it would run down just enough that I had to do the whole heel over again! That happened twice! :frog: So, it's been in a little time out.:teehee:

WshUpnASta
11-30-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm doing a Harry Potter Scarf for Gryffindor House. DD18 can't wait until I finish it!

2FrenchBritmom
12-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks, Mariblue. I bought some extra skeins of that Angel Hair to knit myself one too. I have always loved that yarn since I found it. I've been working mainly on a Noro sweater that I'm now seaming. Once I'm finished with that, I'll get back to Hedwig. I kind of feel like I'm joining in this KAL a little late, but I was thrilled when I discovered a Harry Potter KAL. I also quilt and have made a Harry Potter quilt. Quilting is my first passion, but knitting has been of more interest to me here lately. Especially when I can take it anywhere with me!

Too bad about your socks. Sometimes, I just have to walk away from a frustration like that in my quilting.

2FrenchBritmom
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I am currently knitting a Hedwig. I'm sort of late in joining in to this KAL. I only found this forum in October, but I've been a huge Harry Potter fan for a while now.

rachejm
12-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Having finished exams I have devoted my time to doin some more of my gryffindor scarf. I am halfway through stripe 18 and hoping to finish it by the end of the week since i promised my bf i'd do him a slytherin scarf after xmas when i hav the money to order yarn. Progress is a little slow tho as I've pulled a muscle in my shoulder so I've been doing little bits at a time.

GinnyWeasley
12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
hey girls!!

Hows the HP knitting coming along?

Im still knitting the COS scarf for my friend for xmas...We are exchanging gifts on xmas eve and GAH I dont know if Ill be finished by then!!! I still have half more to go :(

My fingers are so cramped right now though lol. Ok, question....it says to wash the scarf before adding the fringe. Why is that? Is it an important step??

rachejm
12-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Over halfway done on the last stripe, I think I'll order the yarn for my bf's slytherin scarf soon and then I can make a start on it - hoping to get it done for valentines but if not then it can just be a random present for next winter. I have warned him that progress might be slow so he's not expecting it before next winter.

I don't know about washing, I think I'll wash mine, it has been sat in a bag for months on end so washing it may be a good idea.

GinnyWeasley
12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
lol yea I already warned my friend that she shouldn't get her hopes up on getting it for xmas (yea, I told her what I was giving lol) So she is not really expecting it now but I REALLY want to finish it.

rachejm
12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I finished it!!! I put the fringe on, the jogs don't line up because I think my tension was uneven and my bind off edge is tighter than my cast on edge and the fringe at one end is uneven but its finished and I'm happy with it despite the faults - I doubt anyone else would look close enough to notice anyway! I didn't wash it in the end, its for me so I'm not overly fussed - might wash the one for my bf, depends how it looks when finished (still haven't ordered the Cascade 220 for it yet.)

Back to the socks, I had to frog sock two because somehow I'd managed to change direction and then I couldn't work out where, there was only an inch of cuff so I thought I'd frog and start again.

Happy Potter Knitting Everyone!!!

Mariblue
12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I finished it!!!
Yeah! :cheering: Don't worry about all the little things, you can call them design features!

GinnyWeasley
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I FINISHED!!!

I was knitting like mad to finish my COS scarf for ym friend for xmas eve and it is done. I am just adding the fringe now :) Im so proud of it, it is my FIRST project!!

My camera is busted but ill post pics as soon as I can of it.

Now that I am finished, I can get back to my POA one lol.

Mariblue
12-23-2007, 07:00 PM
:cheering: Ooo, how exciting! Well done!

GinnyWeasley
12-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks!! Ill have to steal my aunts camera tomorrow and take a pic before I wrap it :)

I wish it was a tad longer but, ah well, time wouldn't allow it lol. I am so happy right now!

For my future HP scarves....lol...what is the smallest amount of stitches I can work with on a 16" circ? I want to make a few more but I dont want them as wide, maybe like 70-80 stitches instead of 90. Can I work with 70-80 stitches on 16" circs? I want to use 12" ones but cant seem to find any. Sorry if this is a dumb question girls lol.

rachejm
12-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Well done Ginny! Isn't it a great feeling when you can finally put the fringe on?

Mariblue
12-24-2007, 12:02 PM
For my future HP scarves....lol...what is the smallest amount of stitches I can work with on a 16" circ? I want to make a few more but I dont want them as wide, maybe like 70-80 stitches instead of 90. Can I work with 70-80 stitches on 16" circs? I want to use 12" ones but cant seem to find any. Sorry if this is a dumb question girls lol.

I've never used a 16" circ before, so maybe somebody else will be able to give you better advice :teehee:, but I've always used a longer circ and magic looped things in the round. In fact, I think every single thing I've even knitted in the round has been with magic loop, except for one baby hat which was done on dpns.
There's a video here for magic loop (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques) knitting, just scroll down the page to see it.
And you could also just cast on the reduced number of stitches, and see if it worked for you on your 16" circs.
From what I hear, 12" circs are pretty hard to come by, becuse they're very hard to knit with, I think because the cable is so short.
I really recommend magic loop, give it a try! :thumbsup:

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all the HP knitter's here!

P.S. There is another option which is knitting on two circular needles in the round, the video for that is on the same page as the magic loop link above.

GinnyWeasley
12-24-2007, 01:53 PM
The feeling is so great when I was able to put the fringe on. I was in my glory hehe.

Ive tried Magic loop, two circs AND DPN's and have failed miserably at them all!

With the DPN's, I cast on all my stitches on th eone needle but when I go to transfer them the first stitch is always so loose and no matter how hard I try and do it it always gets loose.

knitknut
12-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Ginny, Congrats on finishing your scarf!!! I'm sure you must be proud of how it looks. You can definitely fit 70-80 stitches on a 16 inch circular. I make beanies all the time on 16s starting with 88 stitches and don't have to switch to dpns until around 50 stitches when decreasing.

GinnyWeasley
12-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks!!

YAY! Th thought of doing magic loop and DPN's scares me. lol.

knitknut
12-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Here is a pair of mittens I made for my DDs friend with the PoA/GoF stripe pattern. I used Encore worsted weight with size 3 & 4 needles. Green and Silver. She LOVES 'em.

ladyjessica
12-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Great job Ginny and Knitknut. :yay: :yay: The mittens are beautiful, and I'm sure the scarf is lovely as well.

Here is the Ron's Animal Crackers hat from Charmed Knits. I did it a few days before Christmas for my nephew, and used the Rowan Big Wool the pattern called for. Nice, but very pricey, so if I make it again I'll substitute something.

WshUpnASta
12-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm still working on the Harry Potter Scarf. I have 4-1/2 stripes to go.

rachejm
12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
The mittens and the hat look lovely.

Mariblue
12-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Wow, great job knitknut and ladyjessica! They look awesome! :cheering:
Isn't it exciting when you're nearing the finish line, WshUpnASta?

WshUpnASta
12-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Wow, great job knitknut and ladyjessica! They look awesome! :cheering:
Isn't it exciting when you're nearing the finish line, WshUpnASta?

Yes its a very long scarf and dd18 said if I wanted to just to 2-1/2 stripes that would be fine. But I really want to stick to the actual pattern and make it longer. I have a borrowed picture of it on my blog, but that is what it's going to look like when its done.

makingtimetoknit.blogspot.com is the web blog.

Debbie in Maine

GinnyWeasley
12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Im still waiting to get the pics off of my aunts camera of my finished scarf but I am back to working on my POA scarf that is for me.

Here is the progress :D Mind you, I haven't worked on it in over a month because of my friend's scarf.

WshUpnASta
12-30-2007, 05:07 AM
I worked on this scarf yesterday, during my dd's alumni basketball game. I have 2-3/4 stripes to go. I've never done fringe before so I think I am going to need help for that.

WshUpnASta
01-01-2008, 09:53 AM
I've got 1-1/2 stripes left to go to finish the scarf. I tried to work on it but fell asleep right after the new year, I still have the dishcloth KAL to do that everyone was working on last night.

WshUpnASta
01-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I just started on the last stripe. Twenty-two more rows to go. Then the fringe, I've never done fringe. Is it hard to do? Any suggestions?

Mariblue
01-02-2008, 01:24 AM
I just started on the last stripe. Twenty-two more rows to go. Then the fringe, I've never done fringe. Is it hard to do? Any suggestions?

Fringe is really easy. Here's a You Tube video on adding fringe with a crochet hook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1QTJ3THvg).
:thumbsup:

WshUpnASta
01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
The Scarf is done, and the fringe was not hard to do at all.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I couldn't have finished this without all of your support.

Shandeh
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Ginny, every time I see a post by you, I want you to change your last name to Potter. :wink:

Mariblue
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM

:cheering: Yeah!

rachejm
01-03-2008, 07:47 AM

Congratulations on finishing!

rachejm
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Pictures on my blog of my finished scarf - not a great pic but hey.

Mariblue
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Pictures on my blog of my finished scarf
It looks fantastic! Your socks and KH dishcloth look great too! :cheering:

WshUpnASta
01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Pictures on my blog of my finished scarf - not a great pic but hey.

Awesome picture! It took me just about 6 months to finish mine, but dd18 loves it. And I guess that's all that count.

Lady Violet
01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
i know it's been forever since i last posted, and forever since i knitted anything HP, but i've decided to pick it up again. oh man. i just realized i have a lot of stuff i still need to knit. oh well. i'll need some mindless knitting somewhere in there and a PoA scarf would be perfect. besides, i'll need/want something new to wear while i'm finally reading DH for the first time. yes, i've had it since the midnight release (hung out at borders ALL night - awesome fun) and still haven't read it. need to finish a few of the others first. i think i'm definitely the last one to get on this bus. :teehee:
so anyways, i'm feeling a renewed loyalty to my house (HP). probably has something to do with watching OotP twice in three days. my purist friends didn't like it, but i thought it was really good. i realize that they left some great parts out and shortened some bits, but there was no way they could include everything and a lot of times movies serve as introductions to the book (a somewhat detailed "overview" if you will). i'm already a LOTR purist (not extreme - just enough to be able to say "hey! that's not in the book!" or "well, why'd they have to go and change that, too?"). i'm not adding HP to it. :wink:

rachejm
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I thought OotP was alright as a film, I do prefer the book though, just because I feel like if I had watched the film before reading the book I wouldn't have understood it as well.

I have just cast on a Slytherin scarf for my boyfriend, bought myself a Knit Picks circular needle to knit it with from the only place in the UK that sells them. Its just a normal circular not an interchangeable because I wanted the 40cm to do the scarf with. I like it though, I may have to invest in the interchangeables.

Anyway, back to the scarf, my boyfriend has told his housemates at Uni about it and one of them is jealous and started pestering his girlfriend (who can knit a little) to make him a scarf! Made me laugh when he told me that though. I have 8 rows of the first stripe, he wants the year 1/2 version so wide stripes. Spent ages making a ball out of one skein of yarn - it got tangled and I got annoyed so I only did the one, three more to go! I'm hoping to get it finished for Valentine's day but I don't know how likely that is so I haven't told him when to expect it, just that he'll have it by next winter.

Better get back to knitting it really!

Lady Violet
01-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I thought OotP was alright as a film, I do prefer the book though, just because I feel like if I had watched the film before reading the book I wouldn't have understood it as well.

that's how i felt about GoF. after some parts i was just like, "huh?" that's actually the first time i really wanted to read the books. i was just going to read that one so i knew what in the world was going on in the movie. i still haven't read beyond the whole thing, but i have read SS, CoS, OotP, and HBP. i have to finish PoA and GoF before i can read DH. wow. i feel like i just typed out this long secret mission thing in code. :teehee:

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 11:39 PM
I've always been disappointed when books are translated to movies. But, I was impressed with the first Harry Potter movie. It really did capture the "feel" of the first book. My husband and I still love to watch that one.

One of my favorite bumper stickers says,
"Never judge a book by its movie"
:teehee:

Lady Violet
01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I've always been disappointed when books are translated to movies. But, I was impressed with the first Harry Potter movie. It really did capture the "feel" of the first book. My husband and I still love to watch that one.

One of my favorite bumper stickers says,
"Never judge a book by its movie"
:teehee:

i was extremely disappointed with Eragon. i refuse to see the next one when it comes out. i'm still trying to get it out of my head. i can't believe how they really ruined that one. so sad. :verysad:
it's not usually that bad. infact, depending on the movie/book, i think it can actually be kind of fun to watch the movie and try to spot all the differences. maybe i don't mind changes so much because that's how i was introduced to Tolkien. i remember watching the animated Hobbit as a kid. in fact, i still love it. if it weren't for that, i might not have ever read the book. it's one of my treasured childhood memories.
i know that somewhat recently (in the past couple of years) i watched an adaptation and was really kind of shocked by how different/"bad" it was. but then i thought about the fact that they can't put everything that's in the book into the movie. that would take way to long and only the truest of fans would really appreciate it. it kind of changed the way i look at adaptations. now i can see them for just that - an adaptation, not an acting out word-for-word. i wish i could remember what movie it was. it may have been Eragon, but i don't think so. there's really no way i could ever truly enjoy watching that movie. it's just such a pathetic half-version of the book. but that's just my opinion.

i absolutely LOVE that bumper sticker! :thumbsup:

wow. if i ever go for my phd, i think i've found my thesis. :teehee:

Shandeh
01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
There have been several movies that have disappointed me.

"20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" deserves a remake, because the book is so much deeper than the movie went. But, then again, I'm a Jules Verne fan.

I would love to see a well-made movie of "Mysterious Island". That is my favorite Jules Verne novel. I would also like to see a movie based on "Replay", a really cool book by Ken Grimwood. It would make a GREAT movie, if it was produced well.

Another disappointment that stands out in recent productions is "Timeline". That movie was so bad, but the book by Michael Crichton was a creative and intriguing read.

I was also disappointed by "The Chronicles of Narnia", because they went too far into the story, revealing too much too soon. But, I guess it's hard to keep the story from moving too fast when you only have a couple hours to show it.

I just really enjoy a LONG story, kinda like the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. It's more entertaining when I can watch the DVDs and spend several days watching them. Because reading the books took quite a while. It felt like an accomplishment when I finished reading them.

rachejm
01-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I started another Hogwarts Scarf (my boyfriend was admiring my Gryffindor one and I offered to knit him one). Its a Slytherin scarf in Cascade 220. He looked at some scarves in a shop that he decided were too expensive, at which point I informed him that I've spent more on just the yarn for his scarf than the scarves in the shop cost, he seemed a little shocked. I know he'll wear it though, he really does appreciate it and has been telling all his mates that I'm knitting him a scarf. It's kinda sweet how excited he gets when I tell him I've finished another stripe!

Shandeh
01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
That is so cool that he is excited about your knitting! :cheering:
(and good job on educating him about the cost of hand-knitting!) :thumbsup:

rachejm
02-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Pic of dbf's scarf (still only half finished) now on blog, in case anyone wanted to see it. He's still excited and doesn't seem to mind waiting for it, which is good as he may be waiting a few more weeks yet! Am trying to finish my first pair of socks (also on blog) first though, only a few more decreases to go!

Shandeh
02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Way to keep on it! :thumbsup:
I'm still working on my hubby's Gryffindor scarf too. :teehee:

Mariblue
02-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Pic of dbf's scarf (still only half finished) now on blog,

It's looking good! And wow, I want to go to your local charity shop, that long sweater jacket is great! I never find anything good in shops like that, although I like to try. :)

I have finally finished one of my slytherin socks, I'll try to post a pic in the next few days. Only one more to go!

GinnyWeasley
06-25-2008, 01:19 PM
BUMP!!!!

Hey all! I dont think I have posted since before xmas when I was in a frenzy to finish my friends Gryffindor scarf....well...I did it! :woot:

Im finally getting back to mine and am ALMOST done! :)

I would love to make the matching house mittens to go with it ( http://woolyheaded-patterns.blogspot.com/ )

But the pattern is confusing me. First of all I suck at both DPN and magic loop secondly.....once it gets to the thumb part of it....im lost lol.

rachejm
06-25-2008, 05:44 PM
I finished dbf's slytherin scarf, there may be a pic of the finished article on my blog, I can't remember. I finished it around March/April time so a bit late for him to wear it but he has been wearing it around the house, he was very impressed. He watched me attach the fringe then insisted on wearing it once it was done until he went home. Still working on the Dark Mark scarf, I do a little now and again when I want something easy but I'm currently trying to finish some socks so haven't done much on it recently. Considering either a Quidditch or House sweater as my first sweater project but can't afford the yarn yet, maybe I'll get the sock yarn and make house socks instead - cheaper!

Good luck with the scarf and mittens Ginny, just keep at it.

Mariblue
06-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Well Done, Ginny!

I am ashamed to say that I still only have one slytherin sock. I will finish the second one though, before the next movie comes out!
I've gotten sidetracked with other projects as well.
And, I've totally abandoned the Dark Mark scarf. But I may knit it up someday, I saw it done in gray and black and really liked the look of it.

Shandeh
06-26-2008, 04:02 PM
My poor hubby is still waiting for his Gryffindor scarf too. :pout: