PDA

View Full Version : Pain.

katiebug081504
05-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone elses shoulder hurt. After I work on a project for awhile, my right shoulder kills me. Or after I have a long break from projects then start again. Any helpful hints to ease the pain?

Knitting_Guy
05-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Pay attention to how you are holding your arms while knitting. Take frequent breaks to move everything around and loosen up. Also, if you're keeping yourself tense while knitting focus on loosening up.

I had the same problem, but it was my hands and wrists. The frequent breaks to shake everything loose again helped a lot, as did just relaxing and loosening up.

ChroniclesofYarnia
05-30-2007, 09:21 PM
I get that, but it depends on where I am sitting. If I sit on the couch, I get on the side where I can rest my right arm on the arm, or just put a pillow underneath it. I start too slouch alot, just to be able to rest it, and that makes it worse.

I have a great glider rocker and the arms are exactly the right height and width to support my arms. That is my favorite chair to knit in.

willowangel
05-30-2007, 11:02 PM
I have fibromyalgia, so get this a lot - make sure you regularly check you're not gripping too hard, rest your elbows on cushions to support yourself, do continental style knitting if possible so that you're not moving your shoulders so much, make sure you're not hunching up to your neck, regularly stretch your shoulders back, clasp your hands behind you and stretch and rotate your shoulder blades. Make sure you're drinking enough water, stretch your neck from side to side and wear wrist supports if that helps (it's amazing how things connect to hurt you).

BostonBecca
05-31-2007, 12:00 AM
I get pain on the right side of my back in a certain spot. I use Icy Hot to help and have my boyfriend use this handheld massger thing on it. It helps.

mulene
05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
I used to get this - but as time went on and I relaxed more into the knitting I don't get the pains anymore. Unless I'm using 100% mercerized cotton - I learned that lesson last year so now I won't knit with that anymore!

carmabelle1191
06-01-2007, 11:17 PM
I sometimes get this problem when I am slumped into the couch and knitting. I think the way you sit makes a huge difference, and as everyone else said, watch the way you are holding your arms, neck ect. Also, try not to lean over your work, and though it may or may not affect your shoulder it will eventually make other places hurt.

hellokitty165
06-02-2007, 10:53 AM
try lean your back against the chair when knit ... after half an hour rotate your shoulder for a while...that helps me alot ...and no tension when knitting...hope this helps