PDA

View Full Version : OT:i'm having a mommy moment....

itsjustmeghan
05-30-2007, 08:49 PM
i just needed to vent to other mommies.
on our way home from work tonight, owen coughed, hit his gag and proceeded to vomit ALL OVER himself and his carseat. :ick:we pulled over, i cleaned up owen while DH made due with extra clothes and wipes from owen's diaper bag to clean the seat up enough to get home (another 45 mins).
when we got home, i wanted to take the carseat cover off to throw it straight in the washer so it'd be ready for tomorrow.
for whatever reason the manufacturerer of this carseat (which we purchased beause of the great safety reviews) decided it was necessary for me to remove 8, YES 8, screws on the back of the carseat for me to unhook the straps to get the cover off the carseat.

wouldn't it make more sense for them to do what my infant carrier seat did and put velcroed slots in the seat cover so you could remove the carseat cover without disassembling the carseat and possibly hinder the safety performance?! :nails:

ahhhhh....
i feel better. thank you for listening.....

robynbird
05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
OH I'm sorry! BTDT...it is such a pain to remove the carseat pads. I hope you were able to get it back together properly and that Owen is feeling better!

auburnchick
05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
:hug::hug:

Been there...done that...

Only, the one time I had to clean vomit from the kids' car seats, it was my dh's, who had indulged too much at a co-worker's retirement party and couldn't wait to get home to get sick. Can you picture the car going down the turnpike (I was designated driver, of course) @ 75mph and dh puking, and the puke flying back IN the car, slapping me in the face and covering the kids' car seats and back of the car we just purchased THAT day!!!

Talk about mad and :ick:.

I had to be at church really early the next morning, and I had to answer the kids' questions about why their seats were covered in towels. Try explaining that to a one year old and a three year old. :teehee:

Hope I made you laugh. ;)

Take a nice hot bubble bath and paint your toenails...make yourself feel better.

:hug:

Jan in CA
05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Nathalie! :ick::ick::ick::ick::ick:

Maybe you can find another cover to go over this one so next time (heaven forbid, but it does happen) it will be easier. :hug:

PaperGirl
05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
OOOOOOOH! I totally feel your pain! That happened with me, my sister, my dd, and her 2 boys....and we were on a single lane BRIDGE over a HUGE lake...and Mikey was justapuking EVERYWHERE.

OMG..talk about gross. Poor Mikey, he finished puking, and Skylar was going...Mommy GROSS! And Aryn was like, Mommy, Michael puked on the car!

My poor sister was tripping out...thinking her kid was dying...I was laughing my butt off cause of the look on her face...it was a :ick::roflhard::ick::ick::help::shock::oops: moment for all of us.

cookworm
05-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Poor you! Life with kids is never boring, that's for sure. I tell my husband all the time that I don't need to do "daredevil" stuff (you know, like skydiving, bungee jumping) because I have three kids, and that's adventure enough! :teehee: I know that car seats are essential in keeping our kids safe, but there's sure nothing convenient to them in the way they're designed, especially when you have to remove that padding to wash it (which happens pretty regularly when you have little ones); I don't know why they make it so darned hard to remove.

I myself have become a veteran of the being sick in the car scenario (kids and hubby!), so I carry one of those plastic tubs they give you in the hospital around with me "just in case". It won't help a little one back there that won't understand how to use it, but if there's an older sibling in the back that can help a baby to use it, or if an adult is sick, then it comes to great use.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. :hug:

Mommy22alyns
05-31-2007, 11:41 AM
:hug::hug: You have my sympathies. I had a horrible time dissecting my younger daughter's carseat after a vomit episode. Or two. :ick:

msoebel
05-31-2007, 11:57 AM
My friend's son threw up out the window of the car...or so they thought. Actually, he threw up mostly out the window... some of it got down in the window tract and filtered down into the door. At the beginning of July.

When they finally decided to take the door apart to see where that smell was coming from, they discovered a "forrest" inside the door.:ick:

It seems like kids ALWAYS throw up in the most inconvenient places! And yes, I too have had to take apart a car seat just to take the cover off. I think it was designed by a man...whose wife always cleaned up after the kids.

Misty

Jill A.
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
My story:
My son bought some of those STUPID Harry Potter Bertie Bott jelly beans that have all the yucky flavors. We were in the car on the way home from an outing late in the evening (dark). My son proposed a game with his sister...they would take a jelly bean from the box and eat it without sniffing or trying to see the color. Erin took a jelly bean, which turned out to be sardine, and she puked on the floor.

My son will never be allowed to buy those jelly beans again!!

PaperGirl
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
It seems like kids ALWAYS throw up in the most inconvenient places! And yes, I too have had to take apart a car seat just to take the cover off. I think it was designed by a man...whose wife always cleaned up after the kids.

Misty

Ahh yes. My oldest once threw up in a checkout lane, right behind 2 very well dressed older ladies...and some puke splashed on her pants...OMG...that women looked at my daughter like she was filth, and made ugly comments about it...it was awful. The entire lane, and the checker were trying to make DD feel better...offered her a Sprite, and some towels..those old ladies just stalked off.

G J
05-31-2007, 01:52 PM
These stories are SO Gross and yet SO funny! :ick: :roflhard:
My husband is a "Sympathetic Puker" --Whenever one person throws up, he does too! Anyoe else have that problem?? No help whatsoever when the kids are sick and then I have to clean up after two! Grossssssssssssssss!:ick::ick::ick::zombie:
I used to suspect that he did it on purpose so he wouldn't have to help clean up, but seriously, who would barf on purpose???:ick:

PaperGirl
05-31-2007, 01:53 PM
:ick: EEEEEEWWW!

AmandaC
05-31-2007, 02:14 PM
My son has puked on me ... on a plane ....1st time - just before take off - I cleaned myself up as best I could, changed him into clean trousers .... took off .... puke!!!! of course I had used the majority of the wipes etc the first time ...

but your car seat cover!!! I've never heard of the cover being that hard to take off! you have my sympathy :hug:

Abbily
05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
OH my goodness, you poor thing! Yup, btdt, but it's not a lot of fun! I thought my carseat covers were hard to take off- but nothing compared to yours!

Here's my dumb hubby puke story- my youngest daughter was sitting on my lap listening to a story, we were on the couch, and out of nowhere she pukes all over me. I call my dh to come help- he picks her up and says "Now what do I do?!" Um, let's start by getting her to the bathroom, you unbelievable DORK! :)

stitchwitch
05-31-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't have kids, but we travel to Tennessee with our cat, she travels really well. Anyway, one early morning we were on our way home to Florida and heading down the mountain. Mind you, the road is not lit, is only two lanes, it was icy and it's very, very steep. Well kitty decides she has to use her box while we are descending the mountain. No big deal, we'll just stop at the bottom of the mountain and clean it out. Well she went to the bathroom and didn't completely finish the task. She came out and up to the front of the truck with a glob of poop still stuck. I had on my new coat and didn't want her near me, my husband was driving, both of us are cracking up and trying to push her off of us and through the hysterical laughter I kept saying "we're going to crash off the side of the mountain and nobody will ever know what caused us to crash!". :roflhard:

bip
05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
My husband is a "Sympathetic Puker" --Whenever one person throws up, he does too! Anyoe else have that problem??

Lol, I was 6 1/2 when my mom was pregnant with my brother. One day she was having morningsickness in the toilet, and when I walked in and saw her, I threw up in the bathtub. Apparently I wasn't bothered a bit, it seemed more like a show of mother-daughter solidarity. :lol:

cookworm
05-31-2007, 04:31 PM
My husband is a "Sympathetic Puker" --Whenever one person throws up, he does too! Anyoe else have that problem?? No help whatsoever when the kids are sick and then I have to clean up after two! Grossssssssssssssss!:ick::ick::ick::zombie:
I used to suspect that he did it on purpose so he wouldn't have to help clean up, but seriously, who would barf on purpose???:ick:

OMG--my husband does this!!!!!!!! I thought he was the only one!!!!! :roflhard: I think my husband could vomit on command, I swear! He has a pretty weak stomach and can't tolerate very much before he throws up. You're right--it's no help when two are throwing up, and you're the only one that's left to clean up the mess! :wall:

michellebreton
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
These stories are SO Gross and yet SO funny! :ick: :roflhard:

I'm afraid I have to plead the fifth on this one! When my kids are sick, my husband is the one who has to clean up because if I do it, they'll be two of us sick! I have absolutely no stomach for it whatsoever!
:ick:
Michelle

Mariblue
05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
I have cleaned up more vomit of my husband's than I care to admit. :lol: He had pneumonia a couple years ago, and the coughing was soooo bad...but I felt so bad for my hubby, he was so sick.
And I've had to disect carseats too, it's no fun.

rosmarinus
05-31-2007, 06:03 PM
I think they should make sure that the people who design things like car seats HAVE (and take care of) children and know what it means to need to undo multiple screws to remove a carseat cover that's covered in vomit after a long hard day.

So glad your husband was there to help though.

We've avoided anything like this with our daughter so far, but I'm sure something like this will happen sooner or later (especially now that I've said that -- I swear the girl sneaks online when I'm not looking to find out what I've said about her so that she can then do the opposite). I got terribly car-sick as a child, it's miserable for all involved.