PDA

View Full Version : OT: Knit paper strips?

Susan P.
05-31-2007, 01:26 AM
I KNOW this is an unusual request or question but has anyone ever found a technique to successfully knit paper strips? Given they break so easily I am looking for a solution/option. I don't want to *just* weave cross strips in a mat (you know..strips running horizontal and vertical and interweaving)..but any patterns or thoughts would be welcome.

Susan P.
05-31-2007, 01:28 AM
To add..if possible I'd like to make a bag with strap..a novelty item for someone out of their photograph printed via a computer. I don't want to papier mache.

Susan P.
05-31-2007, 05:05 AM
I have kind of resolved it myself by deciding to make an origami box but on my search I found a fascinating description of a moebius strip that had been knitted in a seamless fashion.

Jan in CA
05-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I can't imagine trying to knit strips of paper! :zombie: Be sure to share the results!

msoebel
05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
What if you knit with several strips at the same time...would that help to make it stronger?

Misty:scratchinghead:

pandaca
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Make sure to use a heavier paper, like card stock. Can you post the link to the knitted moebius strip?

knitasha
05-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking that you should use THIN paper, like tissue or crepe paper, cut narrow strands and twist several together lengthwise. In essence, you would be "spinning" the paper strips to increase their tensile strength.

Here's an idea:
When I was a kid (a century or two ago), I had a wooden gadget with a hole through which you pulled strips of crepe paper to create a kind of faux raffia. The stuff was surprisingly strong: you could knit or crochet with it and the product was durable -- unless you got caught in the rain.

You can still get crepe paper at art supply and party stores, either in sheets or in rolls of streamers. This book has instructions for making crepe paper raffia. http://www.amazon.com/Make-Paper-Flowers-Party-Decorations/dp/1417991925 Try making some with a roll of the continuous streamer stuff, and see how it knits up.

Susan P.
05-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Here is link to the moebius knitting strip. I've only skimmed it so not sure whether there is a seam or not but the author says not:

http://web.meson.org/topology/mobius.php

Thanks for all the ideas. Love the sound of that raffia making tool!
As indicated in earlier post my issue was about taking an image, printing it off on A4 paper and perhaps cutting it into strips. That sort of paper is strong but I know would tear. I think the only way I could knit with that sort of paper would be to put it through a shredder and then dip each piece in a clue drying glue. It would be stiff but if thin enough it *may* knit up. I think the ideas you guys have offered re using other sorts of paper for knitting would work and be really very novel say for little lolly treat bags at a party etc.

I had thought of having the image transferred to fabric and then cutting that into strips but I then decided I would need the image on both sides so that the knitted item could have a good 'look' but holy heck batman..the cost! I rang a business that did that sort of work and for a piece of fabric about one and a half metres both dimensions (1450cm one way and 1500 cm the other) the cost for printing both sides continuous was $900+. That was way way too prohibitive for me of course so I was then looking at options. I made an origami box but would have liked a woven box (out of shredder strips) as an options but haven't found a pattern online for that yet.