PDA

View Full Version : OT-sewing in public

Abbily
05-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I know we've had some threads on KIP, so I thought I'd throw in this funny experience. I was sitting at the reception desk at work today during my lunch break- filling in for our sick receptionist. I was working on stitching down the binding on one of the quilts I'm making for the Godparents of my children, who are getting ready to have twins. Anyway, the mail man walks in, takes one look at my quilt spread out on the desk, and says, "Do you SEW?!" LOL yes, I do... and he proceeded to ask me 15 minutes worth of questions about threading his sewing machine, making a bobbin, dry cleaning at home, etc etc etc! It was hilarious! :)

Carey

Mariblue
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
That's great! It sounds like it was a positive experience!

Susan P.
05-31-2007, 07:09 PM
I think those connections wonderful. Mind you, many years ago I was in a lecture theatre and a fellow student began to knit. Th lecturer continued for a while and finally stopped and turned and said her knitting was distracting for him and would she please put it away! She turned brick red poor thing as every eye turned on her.

Abbily
06-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Yup, definitely a positive experience, it was hilarious. :) Susan, I bet your friend was embarrassed, I would have been too! Apparently I have a reputation now... I always bring my knitting with me to my weekly handbell rehearsals because I always get there about 10 minutes early, and sit and knit. Last week we quit rehearsing to talk about our schedule for next fall. I said to my friend, "Do you think it would be rude for me to knit while we have this talk?" My friend said, "Carey, you're going to knit anyway, aren't you?" :oops: :)

nonny2t
06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I always take my knitting with me everywhere and especially to my husband's cardiology appts. At his appt last summer before his surgery, I was knitting the heart baby blanket for my dil's shower which was this last March. I usually leave the ball of yarn in my big bag and just pull, but it kept getting stuck so I took it out and tried to unobtrusively put it between my legs on the floor. I had the lady next to me starting talking about the blanket while I was just knitting away and pulling and knitting and pulling. A nice elderly gentleman brought me back my yarn and ask me, "Is this yours, ma'am?" It was like a Soduku puzzle getting it out from under chair legs, tables and such. I had been so oblivous and it was just rolling all over the place. I felt like an idiot.