PDA

View Full Version : OT: Please Bear With Me

Knitting_Guy
05-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Hello all. I haven't posted much of late. I've been trying to deal with an illness I inherited from my father, depression, and it's been a kind of rough time for me.

I finally saw a doctor yesterday and got on some meds that should not only help with the depression but also help me quit smoking (which is what triggered the depression this time, trying to quit). I haven't had to be on meds for over 5 years so it's a bit of a set back for me. But such is life at times.

The first couple of weeks on the meds (Wellbutrin which I've never taken before) is an adjustment period for my brain. If I post something that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, please forgive me my brain is closed for repairs. :rofling:

I'll try to do my best to make at least some sense.

Silver
05-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't think taking meds should be considered a "set back". It's good that you're taking care of yourself. And you should be proud of yourself for seeking help when you needed it.

I hope you get well soon, and quit smoking successfully. But just keep in mind that a set-back of any kind is just an opportunity to move forward again.

I have both a family member and family friend who suffer from depression and bi-polar disease. I know it can be hard. Best of luck Mason.

kristinw
05-31-2007, 06:54 PM
:hug::hug:I'm so sorry! I'm glad that you went to see a doctor though. That is a big step towards getting better. Good luck. Hope you can get some therapeutic knitting in!

G J
05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Been there! :hug: Meds, therapy and knitting helped get me out! I agree--getting on meds is not a setback--just a necessary, biological need at the moment. :hug:

Glad you're back online!

PaperGirl
05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
:hug: Ive got friends who suffered from that, and Im a past smoker, so I know how rough those first steps to getting help.

:muah::hug::hug:

Susan P.
05-31-2007, 07:13 PM
No-one should feel responsible or bad or guilty for a chemical imbalance in their brainbox :-) That's what depression functionally is so you taking appropriate medication to restore that imbalance is mature and important. Good for you. Yes, as your chemicals are kick started and your brain "reminded" you will feel off centre for a time but in a few weeks that will settle. It is wonderful to begin glimpsing optimism and feeling good about each new day.

Bravo! I assume we may see a new avatar for you..with a carrot in your mouth rather than a pipe? :-)

Mariblue
05-31-2007, 07:45 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

Knitting_Guy
05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm hoping it starts helping soon but know it takes time. I haven't even felt like knitting lately.

ArtLady1981
05-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Been missing you Mason! I was thinking of you...really...just about 10 minutes ago...thinkin'....where has our Pipe-smokin'-Computer Guru-Truckin'-Knittin' Guy been these days??? Then, I glanced down and saw that you were online in the GENERAL section of KH!

Glad to see you back...and hope you will respond well to your new meds.

I hope to see a new AVATAR...with that carrot in you mouth! :thumbsup:

:hug: :hug: :hug: WELCOME BACK BROTHER! :hug: :hug::hug:

Jan in CA
05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Seeing the doctor was a step forward! I understand what you are sayng about it being a step back since you had been off meds for years, but for right now you need them so it's all good. Hang in there, it'll get better! :hug::hug::hug::hug:

auburnchick
05-31-2007, 08:09 PM
:hug:

I'll be praying for you.

I must admit that we've missed your posts. I'm glad you're back. Take it slowly...

Are you working?

dustinac
05-31-2007, 08:23 PM
I miss seeing your post and will keep you in my prayers!!! :hug:

nefferbea
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Good luck with quitting smoking! I've heard good things about using wellbutrin, so best of luck. By the way, I like the new picture. I missed the beard!

Jennifer

Doodknitwit
05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
:hug:Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have met many neat folks here.
Seeing you whole & surrounded by the Light you can feel.:star::pray:: guyknitting:

jodstr2
05-31-2007, 08:46 PM
been there :hug:... well, still there, in a way... have been on meds since 2003, and recently started taking them regularly again. at first I was ashamed to take them, but I realized I was taking the initiative to get on the right track, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. best of luck with everything. take time to do things that make you happy. take small steps, get through one day at a time. :hug:

Knitting_Guy
05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
:hug:

I'll be praying for you.

I must admit that we've missed your posts. I'm glad you're back. Take it slowly...

Are you working?

Thanks. Yeah I'm working. I took yesterday off and rested in a hotel, and only did a short run today. I'll be doing another short one in the morning and not sure what I'll do after that. About all I really feel like doing is sleep.

Knitting_Guy
05-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Good luck with quitting smoking! I've heard good things about using wellbutrin, so best of luck. By the way, I like the new picture. I missed the beard!

Jennifer

Thanks, I missed it too. It's grown back in again finally.

Inis
05-31-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm a former smoker. Every time you have a craving, picture a tobacco exec sitting down to a lobster dinner in his mansion while you're sucking air on an oxygen tank :tap: LOL. Hey, it helped me!

Also, smokers and their stuff reek -- really bad reek. You don't realize it until you quit. I've been frequenting thrift stores as of late. You can ALWAYS tell when an item came from a smokers home -- the smell, the sticky feeling from the nicotine.

I quit smoking and had a baby. I can tell you that kicking the cigs was far tougher! Get all the help you need -- and don't feel bad about it AT ALL!

Good luck!

Knitting_Guy
05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
been there :hug:... well, still there, in a way... have been on meds since 2003, and recently started taking them regularly again. at first I was ashamed to take them, but I realized I was taking the initiative to get on the right track, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. best of luck with everything. take time to do things that make you happy. take small steps, get through one day at a time. :hug:

I felt the same way when I first had to take them a number of years ago, but it's no different than having to take blood pressure or other meds.

Honestly I should have gone back on them after the car wreck during my 14 month recovery. I've known I've needed them for over a year now, but being hard-headed is just my way I guess.

ArtLady1981
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Love your new Photo! Very "down to the lake' looking! :thumbsup:

Take care of your body like I know you take care of your computer!
Fire-walled, anti-virused, anti-spywared, disk-degragged, PC-Pitstopped, Restore-Point-Set, and all Files backed-up!

:thumbsup: You are good-to-go! :thumbsup:

syndactylus
05-31-2007, 09:56 PM
wellbutrin is what I took to quit (it works! it really really really works!!) & I didn't feel it until about a week later. (just in case they didn't tell you what to expect... I was also completely in the dark about that.)
and my dosage turned out to be dangerously high for me and I had to stop really early too.
anyway, I hope it works for both for you and you feel better soon!

I also think a little bit of depression is common for a lot of people who are quitting regardless.
I felt like I was losing my best friend.
until I woke up one day and got yarn. :rofling:

good luck, and health & happiness, to you!

letah75
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Mason,

I've missed your posts a lot. I'm glad you are back, and please DON'T think of taking meds as a "set back". It's not.

IMHO, asking for help, knowing when it's time to do something hard for you personally, is the sign of a wonderfully stable individual!!!! Asking for help, (from another person, meds, the government, whatever) is difficult. Our society while very me, me, me (ie: selfish) orientated also has taught us that asking for help and depending on others or things is week. I don't think it is.

I will definately keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And I really think what you are doing is in NO WAY a "setback" but a "step up".

jeanius80
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
:heart:glad to see you are back and doing what will make you feel better! good to hear you are quiting, i am rooting for you!:cheering:
i like the beard too and look forward to more posts from you :mrgreen:

Ronda
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
:hug:Just wanted to wish you all the best.

Susan P.
05-31-2007, 10:05 PM
I see the new av has kicked in already. Very nice. Have you ever gone wild with the beard and tried to knit it or braid or put beads in?
:-)

BinkyKat
05-31-2007, 11:00 PM
I've known I've needed them for over a year now, but being hard-headed is just my way I guess.

Your last sentence is kinda how I feel lately. I tried Lexapro prob 2 years ago, then Efexor but didn't keep up with it. Basically I quit taking them a year ago March because I didn't feel like they were helping. I feel like they wrecked my, um... err "drive" if you get my drift, and that was horrible for me. But, since starting a new job, I have gotten very weepy again and have several days of having huge mood swings. I think I have even had an occasional anxiety attack... one for sure I thought I was going to pass out in my car when I left work and got in and just sat there hyperventilating. Perhaps seeing this thread is the kick in the pants I need to try a different med instead of being pig headed and thinking that they don't really work.:rollseyes:

jjminarcik
06-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Mason - :hug::hug:to you! You are in my :pray::pray: as I know how tough depression can be. I am still in recovery and have now been on meds for just over a year. My depression was brought on not by quitting smoking, but from being diagnosed as an "infertile". All I wanted to do was sleep, too, I don't think I got out of bed for about a month. My medication had to be switched 3 times before it finally worked. And things got SIGNIFICANTLY worse before they got better. Therapy also helped a lot. I still have tough days, but being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel was amazing. Sometimes the light isn't so bright, but I know it's there. Not to mention, knitting became my depression outlet. When I couldn't do anything else, I could knit. It actually gave me something to be excited about and that is VERY important.

Now that I have typed this long response, I remembered that my written testimonial is online!! Here's the link, mine is the last one on the page: http://www.fcsupport.org/Testimonials.htm

I wish you the best of luck!! You are not alone and if you ever need to talk, or in our case, type, I'm always here.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:: heart::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

mum2caden
06-01-2007, 01:22 AM
I don't post here a lot, but I read, and I have always found your posts interesting.

I have been through a lot with depression and anxiety, I am starting to turn into one of those people that don't leave their house and I am only 26!

Lots of people go through depression and other mental illnesses- you'd be surprised how many people you know have dealt with it all. It's amazing that something so common gets so little mention.

I will tell you- medication helps so much. It can be that one thing that gets you out of that place that nothing else could.

I wish you nothing but the best...good luck in your recovery!

Braden
06-01-2007, 01:35 AM
It's great that you're getting medecine and seeing a doctor, and quitting smoking, that's just one step forward. I hope you get it all sorted out, and until then, I'll be praying for you. Best of luck and a speedy recovery!

KnittingNat
06-01-2007, 02:29 AM
Hi Mason! don't feel bad about taking meds, it's definitely not a set back but helping yourself.. A friend of mine has a really bad depression and tried to kill herself a few times and medications made her feel much better and want more out of life. She's working now and lives by herself, has pets and smiles! By the way - pets are great therapy, as you have someone to take care of and they bring so much love into our lives. But i guess you can't really have a pet because of your work..
And :cheering::cheering::cheering: for quitting smoking..I did that too and having only occasional after-big-dinner smoke... It feels great!!!

:hug::hug::hug:

Nobones
06-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Glad to see you are back. Well done for going to the doctors and seeking help, your on the way to recovery.

Take care, I'll be thinking of you.

mulene
06-01-2007, 06:50 AM
:muah::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::muah:

I suffer the same inherited illness. Keep at it and things will get better =D

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 07:25 AM
I see the new av has kicked in already. Very nice. Have you ever gone wild with the beard and tried to knit it or braid or put beads in?
:-)

:rofling: Nah

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Your last sentence is kinda how I feel lately. I tried Lexapro prob 2 years ago, then Efexor but didn't keep up with it. Basically I quit taking them a year ago March because I didn't feel like they were helping. I feel like they wrecked my, um... err "drive" if you get my drift, and that was horrible for me. But, since starting a new job, I have gotten very weepy again and have several days of having huge mood swings. I think I have even had an occasional anxiety attack... one for sure I thought I was going to pass out in my car when I left work and got in and just sat there hyperventilating. Perhaps seeing this thread is the kick in the pants I need to try a different med instead of being pig headed and thinking that they don't really work.:rollseyes:

That's the thing with anti-depressants, they all work differently for different people. You'll just have to keep trying them until you find the right one for you. Sometimes it takes a combination.

As for the "drive" part, I had that problem with Celexa. Wellbutrin is known for not having that side effect and in many people tends to have the opposite effect.

gingerbread
06-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi Mason,

I had to go on anti-depressants for a medical reason. My Piriformis muscle is all screwed up.:pout: Nothing the doctors can do without making it worse.:waah: So it has helped and I am sure it is going to help you too.
I am glad that you are still trying to quit smoking. I will be a month now and it is still a struggle every day. I just need not to smoke any more.
Stay well and keep us updated I know you will get better

DianaM
06-01-2007, 10:17 AM
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

As a former therapist, a former smoker, and someone who went through many years of depression I feel for ya.
It's a rough time, but we're all standing by you buddy, you'll do fine :thumbsup:

Abbily
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey Mason, I've been wondering about you too. Getting the help you need is not a set-back, it's a giant step forward. Good for you!! I hope you start to feel better soon. If you don't mind, I'll be praying for you.

Carey

msoebel
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Mason, I hope you know how loved you are here...you're definitely a crowd favorite.:heart:

As someone else who has dealt in the past with depression, I am really pulling for you. You are strong enough to quite smoking, beat depression and even knit another red scarf! Hey, you kip in truck stops - you can do anything!

Best wishes for you...

Misty

rennfamily
06-01-2007, 10:42 AM
:hug: Contrary to what Tom Cruise has to say, getting help is not a bad thing. So glad you are getting the help you need. Parying for a quick adjustment with the Welbutrin, quick cessation of smoking and that any other health problems are kept at bay. :hug:

hellokitty165
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
i was depressed 2 years ago ... and there is some unknown pain in my body appear from no reason...one morning there is a pain on my big left toe... next few days i got aching pain on my left waist ... i finally take a yoga class.. and do all stuff to get rid of stress and guess what... i m fine today ...

stress and depression are buddy ...they can cause huge mess in your body ... i hope you will find sometime to help you other than medication... look within your body and soul too for a solution ...take a stroll or engage in activity that might help you... go to www.drweil.com (http://www.drweil.com) they have alot of topics on depression too... take care

Mommy22alyns
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

I can definitely relate. As many others have said, try not to think of the meds as a weakness or setback. I'm working on that myself. I've been on and off meds for so long that I think it's going to be a lifetime thing and now I have to accept that. I've been on so many different meds it's not even funny. I feel like I rattle when I walk.

Anyway, you're not alone. :hug::hug:

HollyP
06-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Mason :hug:. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Glad to see you're back! :thumbsup: I missed reading your posts!

nadja la claire
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Mason taking meds for depression is not a set back, just like taking meds for heart disease or high blood pressure is not a set back. If it weren't for depression meds my DIL wouldn't be here today. Depression is a medical condition not a character flaw.

We're here for you.:grphug: :hug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

knitting4babybear
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
{{{Knitting Guy}}}

I can relate. Hope you feel better really soon.

Chel
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Mason,

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

I battle this myself. Just know that even when it feels like it-you are not alone. We are all here!!!!

Jeremy
06-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Hang in there Mason. Your days will get better and better. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you. :hug:

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I appreciate all of the kind and supportive comments. As far as 'set back" goes, I just meant that I had been glad to be off the pills for five years and kinda hate to go back on them. But we do what we have to do.

Today is my third day on the meds, tomorrow I begin at double the dose. He wanted me to just take half dose for three days to make sure it didn't have any bad side effects. Hopefully there will be some change in a week or so.

Right now, on top of everything else I've picked up some sort of darned virus or something in my sinuses which is making feel even more like crap. Sometimes you're the winshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Kaydee
06-01-2007, 03:31 PM
I noticed that you hadn't been around the forums for a while, its good to see you back here. Sorry you're going through a tough time with your health right now. I hope you feel better soon!:hug:

carmabelle1191
06-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I know how you feel.:hug:I have inherited depression from my mother, and am currently on medicine. I also seem to consider it a "setback" as well, though I know it's not and that it's helping me. Just know that there are people at KH and in the "real world" (:teehee:) that will be willing to help you.
Best of luck.:heart:

nuknitter
06-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey Mason - I'm sorry that you're feeling like the "bug", but I sure am glad to see you taking care of yourself, for that's what it is. We're here rootin' for you, and am glad to see you back in the forums :hug:.

threesmom
06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I fought taking meds for a long time too - I"ve been dealing with depression since high school, for the most part, and tried everything. Therapy, natural stuff, and eventually went on Zoloft years ago. It was fine for a while, then I just stopped feeling ... anything. And that was worse. I tried other meds over time, and nothing seemed to work. So I was my normal moody self for years, then after my son, my 2nd child was born, I had awful post-partum stuff. For me, it was just horrendous anxiety - to the point where I was barely taking care of my kids. I finally went to the doctor and got meds at my dh insistence. But before I could take them, I was pregnant again. :doh: So I waited, and now I'm on, and have been for over a year, a low dose of Zoloft. It was the best thing I have ever done - and taking care of yourself Mason, no matter what is what is the important thing. When we're depressed, we tell ourselves so many destructive things to keep us that way - such a nasty part of the illness. I hope things get better for you soon :hug:

LibraryLady
06-01-2007, 05:04 PM
...Right now, on top of everything else I've picked up some sort of darned virus or something in my sinuses which is making feel even more like crap. Sometimes you're the winshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I've had 3 major depression episodes and battle the monthly PMS sort too. I've read about this and noticed it in myself - depression affects your immune system. So you're more susceptible to the assorted cruds and craps running around out there. Think healthy and act healthy, it will go a long way to dealing with both the virus and depression.

Good luck with the no smoking! Hope you get back to knitting soon!

:thumbsup:

LL

stitchwitch
06-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and sending positive vibes your way. :hug:

figaro
06-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't have much to say except I have also missed seeing your posts and am glad to see you are back! I am also glad to hear that you have found a Dr. that you feel comfortable talking with. My husband has type 2 diabetes and everytime he goes to the Dr., he always comes home saying how nice it is to talk to a Dr. who listens.

Glad to see you are back with us here!:thumbsup:

hunterjenn
06-01-2007, 07:37 PM
:waving: Hi, Mason! Hope you're doing well! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't have much to say except I have also missed seeing your posts and am glad to see you are back! I am also glad to hear that you have found a Dr. that you feel comfortable talking with. My husband has type 2 diabetes and everytime he goes to the Dr., he always comes home saying how nice it is to talk to a Dr. who listens.

Glad to see you are back with us here!:thumbsup:

I refuse to see a doctor who won't listen to me. If the doctor isn't willing to take the time to listen, talk, and answer my questions I just fire that doctor and find another one.

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm in the hotel again tonight. Resting. I'm just so fracking tired lately.

I went over to Appleby's for dinner and found the new bartender quite cute and interesting until she mentioned her father's age. Same as mine. When did I get old?

hunterjenn
06-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm in the hotel again tonight. Resting. I'm just so fracking tired lately.

I went over to Appleby's for dinner and found the new bartender quite cute and interesting until she mentioned her father's age. Same as mine. When did I get old?

You're not old! :tap:

...besides, lotsa girls like older men! Sounds like you oughta go baaaaaack.... :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Nah, somewhere or other, when I wasn't looking, I got OLD. How does this happen? :shrug:

Mommy22alyns
06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Nah, somewhere or other, when I wasn't looking, I got OLD. How does this happen? :shrug:

Somehow it just sneaks up on ya. :scratchinghead:

How old are you anyway?

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Somehow it just sneaks up on ya. :scratchinghead:

How old are you anyway?

I'm 45 going on 102.

G J
06-01-2007, 10:06 PM
PLEEEASE don't say 45 is old!!! I'm almost there!!! Only months away....:waah:

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 10:09 PM
PLEEEASE don't say 45 is old!!! I'm almost there!!! Only months away....:waah:

You're only as old as you feel. Sadly, that means I am seriously screwed.

nefferbea
06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Nah, 45 isn't old! I'm 46, so 45 can't be old!! You're just 25 with 20 years experience.

Jennifer

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
:thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-01-2007, 10:54 PM
:?eyebrow: If 45 is old then I'm elderly and I do not feel elderly. :nails: However, some days I do feel old. I'm 54. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 10:59 PM
:?eyebrow: If 45 is old then I'm elderly and I do not feel elderly. :nails: However, some days I do feel old. I'm 54. :teehee:

I never feel elderly. Some of them can still hit pretty hard.

Jan in CA
06-01-2007, 11:00 PM
:doh:

:teehee:

G J
06-01-2007, 11:07 PM
:chair::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::ro flhard::roflhard::chair:
Glad you still have a sense of humor!!!

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
:chair::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::ro flhard::roflhard::chair:
Glad you still have a sense of humor!!!

It's the one thing that keeps me sane. Well, sort of.

jhelanee
06-02-2007, 01:19 AM
It is great to see you back on the forum, Mason. I'm sorry to hear that you have been battling depression, but very glad to hear that you have gotten help. My sister has been struggling with the same thing since last fall, and after trying multiple medications has finally found something that worked and is getting better. One of the prescriptions she tried was Welbutran and she found that fatigue/exhaustion and just wanting to sleep were big side effects for her. So you might want to keep that in mind and check with your doctor if your energy levels don't improve soon. Good Luck!

Knitting_Guy
06-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks, that's the funny thing about AD drugs. They don't seem to act exactly the same way on any two people.

nadja la claire
06-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey Mason how are you doing today? I hope you're doing alright today. :hug: :grphug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Knitting_Guy
06-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Feeling a little bit more rested this morning, thanks.

carmabelle1191
06-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks, that's the funny thing about AD drugs. They don't seem to act exactly the same way on any two people.
I know what you mean. When I tried Wellbutrin, it made me dizzy and sick so I had to stop taking it. Side affects are different for everyone.
I hope you feel better today.:hug:

snowbear
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I admire you Mason. To openly talk about a medical condition that affects millions is not an easy step. I have been on meds for depression, and know how hard it is to overcome the illness itself, yet alone deal with the medication.

Know that you are cared for, loved, and admired. Even if I do not always agree with your opinions, I will defend your right to say and believe them.

Doing what you are doing takes courage. You have overcome so much in your life, only a little do I know about, but I do know you have the character to overcome this.

There is noting wrong with getting help for an illness. It is admirable to do it to say the least. Know that if you ever need support, a great plate of bbq- (*kansas city is the best in that you know) swing your rig this way.

If you need a shoulder.. or an ear.. you always have one available.

Take care, hang in there and know you have a polar bear that cares. (raises up on hind legs and growls for the funof it)

Take care Mason and keep in touch.. it may be hard at times, but just a note to let us know you are ok at the time.

Big Bear Hug..

:hug::muah:

larudden
06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
OMG! I'm 48 but I think I'll always be 16 in my head!:grin:

My family is loaded with depressed people, and I definitely know how you feel. I started on meds 7 years ago when I went through my divorce and I could NOT believe how great I felt. I also suffer from anxiety and, once my meds kicked in, all I could think of was "THIS is the person I was supposed to be!" Wow! What a revelation.

It's amazing how many people suffer from depression. I think the artist's mind is so high functioning that we get "in our heads" more than others and that can be a problem. At night, I have so much trouble "quieting my head" that it's sometimes hard to get to sleep.

Good luck on the smoking thing. I need to address that, too, one of these days. I keep telling myself that 4 or 5 a day isn't bad but I'm just kidding myself. The Welbutrin should help you with that, I think.

Hey, just keep hanging out here and we'll all get through this together.:grphug:

And don't stop knitting! It's amazing how relaxed I feel when I've got some yarn in my hand. It's better than food and you can't get fat from it!:grin:

Blessings,

1knittychick
06-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Mason, I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Take it one day at a time.:pray:

(This may be a repeat message. I thought I replied yesterday, but can't find it. So, if its a repeat, I'm sorry!)

cindycactus
06-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Mason. I rarely post here but I do read daily for all the good knitting advice posted here. One of your posts was the very first one I read here and I always look for your postings. So interesting. And you look so much like my son. He is 48 so I KNOW you are not old. What would that make me!!! Hope you feel better soon.:hug:

mulene
06-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey Mason hows it going?

Just wanted to see how you are... when I went to the doc last September and asked to return to meds after a long break, I also saw it as a bit of a failing.

However what she had to say to that was really quite a surprise. She was right of course, but still a nice surprise to hear a Doc say "look, you are sick and the medication helps you... if you were diabetic and had to take insulin every day for the rest of your life, you wouldn't think you were a failure because you can't cope with Diabetes without your insulin would you? Therefore you shouldn't think you are a failure because you can't cope with your depressive illness without medication"

Her saying that made me realise that it isn't a failing to not be able to cope - its normal and there are thousands of us out here who suffer in the same way. You are not alone, we are not alone and we all have an illness that can be controlled with the right medication.

I hope you are doing better now, Mason. *huge hugs* keep hanging in there :)

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks. I managed to sleep pretty well last night for the first time in a few weeks which made me feel a bit better. Perhaps the medication is starting to work.

I don't feel bad about taking the medication. I'm pretty realistic about these things. I was just a little disappointed that I needed to go back on them again after so long. But if I need it I need it.

mulene
06-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear you are doing better and that you got a good nights sleep. I know the first time after I went back on the meds and got a good nights sleep was such a relief!

I know what you mean about the disappointment, but yeah if we need it we need it - I hope you continue on the road to recovery ok. Nice Avatar btw =D I like how you change it every so often to update it =D

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks.