PDA

View Full Version : OT - What do you collect?

Inis
05-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Besides yarn, patterns and needles:teehee:, what do you collect?

A certain china pattern? Clocks? Trading cards? Anything? Or lot's of things?

edit: Sorry, I forgot to put OT in the subject line

DoulaLyndsey
05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Tarot cards and I've just started a collection of Macfarlane dragons.

Lady Violet
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
i collect teacups, dolls, and BOOKS. it's kind of funny, though. the first two were meant to be collections, but i haven't added to them in a very long time (besides the adorable bagpiping geppeddo doll i got for christmas last year). they are also both collections that started and continue to grow through gifts from other people. the books have just kind of accumulated on their own. if you've ever wandered through the cheap books at barnes & noble you understand how that can happen! :chair:

Ronda
05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't like clutter, and I abhor dusting, so I don't collect knick knack-type things. I collected bears when I was a teenager, but gave all those away when I got married. I guess all I really "collect" is yarn and knitting needles! I have lots of books, but that's just because I enjoy reading. I have quite a few sets of dishes, but that's not by choice. My great-grandmother gave me some china. My grandmother gave me some china. My mother collects sets of dishes, and she keeps buying me sets, as if I share the same love for dishes. (I don't.)

Silver
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Keychains :)

psammeadred
05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
I collect teacups and old books.

DeAnzaJig
05-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Ink stamps from US National Historic sites that I visit.

Each site has it's own ink stamp with an adjustable date and you stamp the pages in your Passport book (http://www.eparks.com/store/product/22515/Passport-Book/).

The best part is that it's small and portable!

auburnchick
05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
My only real collection is a Christmas Village. They sold the original sets and pieces at Target. Now I have to get the pieces from Ebay. I've quit buying them though. I wouldn't have enough room to set up the town if I bought any more.

Oh, and my used college book collection is growing. They don't seem to sell as quickly as I have to buy them. :teehee:

threesmom
05-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm a book girl. I like handmade linens too ... tablecloths from my grandmothers in particular.

BinkyKat
05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
I have somehow awakened a dormant hereditary dish collecting gland I must have gotten from my mother. I have begun collecting teacups and other random dishes/glassware of a tea time/dessert type of theme. I have also collected dolphin related things, several of them being fancy franklin mint plates and lenox crystal "sculpture" type items. I also have a collection of Orange Striped Kitty things...stuffed animals, little figurines, a couple ornaments...because my Binky is an orange kitty!:heart:

ETA...almost forgot, State Quarters too

1knittychick
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Turtles, children's books, knitting books

robynbird
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I collect Wilow Tree Angels. I also have several of my mom's dolls she collected.

Knitting in Pink
05-31-2007, 11:01 PM
I used to actively collect books, signed first editions of a couple of southern authors, but I haven't in a few years. I still love what I have though. I used to buy Boyds bears, certain ones, but not in ages. Dh brought one home for me a few weeks ago from a garage sale. Brought some memories back, too...he used to buy them when we first met. :)

clb1968
05-31-2007, 11:03 PM
I collect books, DH collects more books than I do and he collects animals , we have a house full .

letah75
05-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Books, elfquest anything, dust, nerdy friends, and candles.

rainberry
05-31-2007, 11:30 PM
I collect Breyer Model Horses and my sister and I have a pretty big collection of Beanie Babies.

MommaG
05-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Turtles, children's books, knitting books

I too collect turtles. Mine aren't real by the way. I am actually the third generation for this turtle collection. It was my moms mom and she passed it on to my mom. When we found out mom was terminal with her cancer she asked each of us kids what we would like and I right away said her turtles so I got them. I have added to them some what.

debinoz
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Salt and pepper shakers..... 93 sets of them so far. :shock: (Not my choice...people seem to gift them to me... I started out with just 2 antique sets I bought at a garage sale)

DH keeps teasing me when we run out of salt or pepper..... all those shakers and all empty! :teehee:

syndactylus
05-31-2007, 11:50 PM
books, monkey stories, newly movies and camera lenses, and - inadvertently - unsettling monkey schlock. (exhibit A, ceramic disembodied monkey head on a pike courtesy of my mom, xmas 2003.)

& strange little household anti-deities - voodoo dolls, golems, some of the less upsetting monkey statues...

& very much looking forward to starting in on freakish knitted stuff. just need to get these sweaters out of the way first.

jjminarcik
06-01-2007, 12:42 AM
ANYTHING with pink flamingos, dolls from various countries, Christmas ornaments from mine & DH's vacation spots, and yarn. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-01-2007, 12:55 AM
I have a lot of books, but I don't really consider books a collection unless they are first editions or something. A lot of mine are second hand.

Anyhoo.... I also hate dusting and clutter so the only thing I really have a collection of is reindeer/moose for Christmas. Once that season is over they go bye bye. :teehee:

mum2caden
06-01-2007, 01:15 AM
I collect antique cookbooks- 1940's is the most recent I will go, and that is because I have all of my grandmother's old ones.

I collect old tintype photographs, mostly for the clothing, but sometimes the pictures are just so striking.. I am hoping to get them enlarged and put up on my walls.

I also collect antique china, but that is a newer collection so I don't have a lot. Mostly I go for the flow blue, and I also tend to pick up the damaged stuff that others don't. I find them just as beautiful and someday when I get into my own house, rather than an apartment, I will have them displayed in my kitchen.

As you can see, I have a great love of the past... :)

My main goal is to have a Victorian era house full of antiques one day- complete with a butter churn, a spinning wheel, possibly an old loom and a huge poster bed.. I could go on, lol.

KnittingNat
06-01-2007, 02:37 AM
Well, books, but not really collecting, they're for reading...But i do have a hard time walking into a second-hand book shop and not buying anything...My hubby collects diecast car models, 1:24.We have a lot - about 300. so i help him collect. I definitely don't have the problem of "What should i buy him for birthday..." :rofling:

orcoastknitter
06-01-2007, 02:44 AM
I have collected quite of few things over the years. One of my largest is my snowman collection. I have so many it looks like my house is invaded by them every Christmas! I swear they multiply in the storage closet.

I have a large collection of books. I find it funny, actually. As a child growing up with dyslexia I HATED reading! I didn't want anything to with it. After going through a few special programs in grammar and junior school, I learned to love it. I used to hang out at the local bookstore afterschool, my mom would always find me there just browsing at all the books.

I have every cassette and CD that bought over the years. Actually I take that back, I had a George Straight CD that I purchased and couldn't return so I sold it on eBay.

I have about 75 movies on DVD. I have about 130 movies on VHS. I have all the Gilmore Girls episodes that are available. As well as Veronica Mars. I am working on getting the rest of Friends episodes.

I have a collection of baseball cards. My last boyfriend was into collecting sports cards and so I joined in. When we broke up I ended up with some of his autographed cards. I ended up selling them at a friend's yard sale, real cheap! I have a large box now filled with common players. I have sold most of the popular players on eBay.

I also have a large collection of beanie babies. I have all the teenie beanie babies that were offered at McDonalds. I actually used to camp outside the local Hallmark store for the new ones to come out. Yeah I was one of those crazies.

I think that about covers it....for now.

Shandeh
06-01-2007, 04:00 AM
I collect antique music books, and sheet music of several varieties.
I also buy books for reading at discount stores. And I save every magazine I buy.

My husband is what you would really call a "collector" though. He has Beanie Babies, Pokemon Toys, Burger King Toys, Marvin the Martian items (his name is Marvin), McFarlane Sports Action Figures, Any OTHER kind of sports action figure he comes across, Baseball Cards, Vintage Money, Model Cars and Planes, Books, Books, and MORE Books. He really just loves to collect things, and never seems to be satisfied with what he has.

Our house is filled with things from our children too. I think we have held onto every scrap of paper they touched. :teehee:

If we got rid of all the "collections", our house would probably look empty, because we don't have much furniture at all.

Nobones
06-01-2007, 04:03 AM
I collect Penguins, Pocket Dragons, and Nightmare before Christmas stuff. I have a BIG collection of penguins, 2 pocket dragons, (only just discovered them!) and a few bits and pieces of Nightmare stuff, they don't do that much in the uk.

I did collect limited edition Barbie dolls, (still looking for 'Peaches and Cream Barbie') but shelf space got used up and I haven't had any for a while now.

HamburgKnitter
06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
I collect books, as in when I like an author I have to read/own every book he/she has written.

Both my husband and I work in the record industry so we both bring home alot of CDs and LPs. Luckily we get a large portion of them for free (promo copies, trades, etc.). We have one wall in our living room filled with LPs, one with CDs...I would say somewhere between 5,000 to 6,000 LPs and 7,000 to 8,000 CDs. My husband would like to catalog what we have. :oo:

I also collect cat things. Knick knacks, cat-shaped teapots, garden decorations...and a couple of live ones too of course :inlove:. I'm a bit particular about what I like though.

dustinac
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
I did collect Boyd's Bears at one time but haven't bought one in a while and most are up or I gave away... I like Raggedy Annies.. I have all kinds.. and have a raggedy ann tree that stays up all year holding the different ornaments, books, and other items...

My dh loves to look for old books.. he has collection of those..

turtlegirl76
06-01-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm a turtle collector too! I've pretty much stopped adding to my collection myself because people just bring them to me now! Everywhere you look, you see a turtle. I really need a curio cabinet.

Sanibelle
06-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I have a collection of Cardew teapots. And lots of yarn......

beckyrhae
06-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I collected frogs for years, I never buy them for myself anymore because people buy them for me now.

I will always pick up anything Boston Terrier related ... love bosties.

ironmaiden
06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Books, and it's starting to seem like I collect craft supplies just for the sake of having them around just in case lol.

Plantgoddess+
06-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I collect plants. House plants as well as garden perennials. It's nice because if you get tired of it and can't find it a new home you can compost it. I have almost an acre of flower beds and vegetable garden. I'm trying to taper off on buying new plants and just use starts of existing plants to expand my yard.

candicane
06-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Shoes.

Jean_B
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I collect pink Mayfair depression glass, although I've not added anything in a long time.
Oh, and do I count all the fabric, beads, embroidery thread and ribbon, buttons, and other embellishing items? Sometimes I think I've lost my mind!

Jean

msoebel
06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
FROGS. Frogs, Frogs, Frogs, Frogs.:muah:

I love them.

I also have a collection of vintage purses...mainly from the 50s and 60s, although my favorite ever is Red Patent from the 1940s.

Oh, and shoes. Do shoes count as a collection if you just love to buy shoes?:??

Misty

Mommy22alyns
06-01-2007, 10:48 AM
My only true collection is probably my Sylvia Plath books.

I have large amounts of other books (our house looks like a library), CD's (from the dark ages, you know!), and DVDs. And nailpolish. :think:

debinoz
06-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Oooh I forgot about my Santa collection, and I have every episode of the old Doctor Who series on DVD. (Many converted from VHS to DVD)

Chel
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I collect Crystal Balls. Real ones, not glass.
I have several quartz, a beautiful obsidian sphere... about 23 in all.

PaperGirl
06-01-2007, 11:25 AM
My only real collection is a Christmas Village. They sold the original sets and pieces at Target. Now I have to get the pieces from Ebay. I've quit buying them though. I wouldn't have enough room to set up the town if I bought any more.

Oh, and my used college book collection is growing. They don't seem to sell as quickly as I have to buy them. :teehee:

My mom collects the Department 54 Dickens Village from Dillards...and her Christmas village is SO huge, it took up nearly her entire downstairs dining area in her old house. One year, I made her a sky scene for it with a black sheet, and a set of twinkle lights sewn into it. She has to start setting it up before Thanksgiving to have it up in time for the holidys. :doh:

SOMEWHERE I have a picture of just HOW huge it is...Ill share when I find it.

Me...I collect unicorns, music, and ANYTHING Def Leppard related. :inlove:

Kaydee
06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I collect shot glasses from different counries and places I've been and also ones people have given me from places they've gone to...I probably have about 40 or so.

PaperGirl
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Both my husband and I work in the record industry so we both bring home alot of CDs and LPs. Luckily we get a large portion of them for free (promo copies, trades, etc.). We have one wall in our living room filled with LPs, one with CDs...I would say somewhere between 5,000 to 6,000 LPs and 7,000 to 8,000 CDs. My husband would like to catalog what we have. :oo:

I have a computer program called Cd Trustee that I use to catalog my music. I dont think it would work for LPs though..

Nobones
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Thank you to the person who emailed the details of a peaches and cream Barbie. I tried to email you but it bounced and I couldn't get the email back!

She looks lovely, though sadly way out of my budget.

Miss Moosey
06-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I collect small boxes and state quarters

LibraryLady
06-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I inherited my grandmas frog collection when I was 12. I buy a frog every new place I go and friends/family are always giving me frogs - figurines and jewelry. I finally asked my mother and sister to quit giving me frogs for my birthday and Christmas, never seemed to get anything else from them.

Grandmas collection is about 150 and I figure in 30 years I've collected another 300. They are all in boxes though... :roflhard:

I hate dusting!

I want a nice mostly glass curio cabinet, not too big. Then when I dust inside, say every 6 months, I can rotate the frogs in and out, change them around.

LL

HamburgKnitter
06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I have a computer program called Cd Trustee that I use to catalog my music. I dont think it would work for LPs though..

I just googled that - what a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion! :muah:

JamOKnit
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I have several collections, some of which are stagnant and others which are growing out of control, LOL.....

I have a big collection of shotglasses from all the places I've been. My DH built two custom shelf units for me to display them.

I used to collect Cherished Teddies....I have about 30 of them but haven't bought any in about 3 years. My sorority mascot was the teddy bear so I am partial to anything teddy....

I have started collecting Christmas ornaments from places we go instead of shotglasses, especially nice ones in glass or gold....

And of course...the book collection! I have the complete set of works from Stephen King, V.C. Andrews, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Patricia Cornwell.....and always working on more. When I was young I had all the Encyclopedia Brown and Nancy Drew books but I think my mom sold those long ago at one of her many yard sales....

PaperGirl
06-01-2007, 02:48 PM
I just googled that - what a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion! :muah:

You are most welcome! It was a BIG lifesaver when my family had to evac for Hurricane Rita..it would have been AWFUL to lose the collectoin that he and I have.

AnreeAce
06-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I collect cobalt blue glass. The older the better.

Just last week somebody left an old Vick's jar, including the label & lid, in the break room. There was a note that said "Anybody want this old thing?"

:woot:

Quiltlady
06-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I collect dolls, Chintz Plates, Quilts, "Memories of Yesterday" figurines, and yes, knitting and quilting books, yarn and fabric just to name a few. :cheering:

Jessica
06-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Im a HUGE collector of Wheat pennies. Ive been doing it ever since I was little. When my grandfather died, he left me rolls and rolls of them. I dont know what it is, but when I find a wheat penny I get so excited like I was a little kid again.
If anyone has any, they can send them my way:shifty:

losnana
06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
I collect Wilow Tree Angels. I also have several of my mom's dolls she collected.

Me too. I also collect flowered china dessert plates by Haviland. I don't really know why; I don't do much entertaining, but I love them. I also have a good many teacups, many of which belonged to my grandmother. I think I'll give those to mone of my nieces, as she also collects teacups.

JoeE
06-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Vintage sewing machines used to be my consuming passion--until I ran out of space. I still have a bunch of them. I especially *love* old treadle machines.

I also collect shot glasses, coffee cups, tee-shirts, and books (my god, the books...). I feel bad for whoever gets stuck cleaning up my mess when I'm dead and gone. Not one thing I collect is valuable, and someone will feel terrible about dumping all my 'treasures' off at Goodwill.

Joe

Susan P.
06-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I thought the cobalt blue glass interesting as in my old town a woman there sold collectibles and people would just wait for months for particular glass pieces for their collections.

I have a large number of British murder mystery/crime fiction books. Perhaps 250 or so.

I have some old glass bottles and stone jars bottles. The MOST interesting find was digging away at a tip (garbage tip) and going down through masses of old broken ink bottles (from late 1800's to early 1900's)..and I mean masses (thrown out by an old ink manufacturing plant) and coming across one exquisite, mint perfect piece. Oh joy!!

Somewhere I still have some Monkees (the band) trading cards but only a few. I have a few Diana/Charles collectibles in original boxes (most are)..and that's about it. When you rent and move a lot you find it difficult to build collections I think.

Susan P.
06-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I feel bad for whoever gets stuck cleaning up my mess when I'm dead and gone. Not one thing I collect is valuable, and someone will feel terrible about dumping all my 'treasures' off at Goodwill.

Joe..I had to laugh...my son often tells me in a dry voice...thanks for the inheritance..a few old bottles and fluff!

:-)

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I've been collecting scars for years. :shock:

kblue
06-01-2007, 09:24 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Too funny....humm lets see i collect...do bills count :?? ???

Susan P.
06-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Mason LOL Me too! Would be hard to swap..tho..that would create more scars!

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey I've always said that scars are just tattoos with more interesting stories.

brokenblossoms
06-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Antiques and Blythe dolls. :)

Shandeh
06-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I can't believe I forgot to mention my Peach Lustre Fire King dishes collection. I also like marigold or amber carnival glass.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/99254715_2d4756d63b.jpg
My husband has purchased some vintage teacups for me, and I have a few Charming Tails figurines.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/27/49194207_7169c7d4d6.jpg

Nobones
06-02-2007, 04:24 AM
My husband reminded me, (and a prezzie in the post) I collect pens and note books. The note books and pens are from places I've been, or novelty.
I can't believe I forgot those, your never short of a pen in this house! :teehee:

KnitClickChick
06-02-2007, 07:13 AM
I have a small collection of musical snow globes. I haven't added to it in a while though. My favorite has 2 dolphins inside made of clear glass, and their fins are painted in gold. They are jumping through the air. My favorite part, it lights up! I have one egg shaped globe, and a couple heart shaped globes, but most are round. My least favorite is not musical, and has a hideous gargoyle inside. Gift from boyfriends mom. I also have a huge coin collection. I have tons of Bicentennial quarters and wheat pennies. Quite a few Susan B. Anthony dollars. I have a few buffalo nickles, a couple Indian head pennies, a Mercury dime and some others. I haven't come across any good ones in a few years. I used to work in a grocery store, so it was easy to get a lot of cool coins.

KnitClickChick
06-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Shandeh, your things are beautiful!!!!!

Inis
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Shandeh, those are beautiful! I love the peach glass, too.

My MIL collected jadeite Fire King until it became too expensive. She started selling it off and moved to the ruby red Avon Cape Cod glass stuff --- now THAT is taking off price wise. I should pay more attention to what she's collecting!

I collect blue willow, rooster stuff - the older the better, plants - house and garden. I have a ton of old ornate frames that I plan to "do something with" some day. LOL

My husband is a turtle guy and Denver Bronco stuff. He especially likes the stuff with the "old" logo.

Shandeh
06-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Shandeh, your things are beautiful!!!!!

Shandeh, those are beautiful! I love the peach glass, too.

:muah:

Pepsi
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, I must be an "oddie". :?? I collect jigsaw puzzles. Now, don't ask me why!! My Mom had Alzheimers and these seemed to take my mind elsewhere. My DH had to buy a building to house all the puzzles I have collected! When I manage to find time (now) to work one, I donate it to a charity. What's so funny is that I buy them at yard sales and flea markets! My DH made the statement that if there was a piece missing, do ya think I could get my quarter back??:lol:

redheadrachel
06-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I am a coin collector! My whole family is pretty into it, and we have some stuff from even the late 1700's in America. My favorite pieces are the Morgan dollars, and I especially like to assemble complete sets of stuff (even a complete set of things like Roosevelt dimes are fun because they take a lot of time, you really have something once you've completed it, and half the fun is in the hunt!)

I try to limit my collecting to just coins, stuff for piano (I'm a piano performance major) and stuff for knitting, because I tend to keep WAAAY more stuff than I need to. :happydance:

KathyinCali
06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, my style has been Shabby Chic long before it became the "thing" so I collect vintage linens, pretty much vintage anything that has to do with the house. One of my favorite dish collections is Jane Ray jadeite from Fire King. I have been collecting jadeite for about 10 years now and I have everything Fire King ever made in jadeite-mostly from garage sales back east before people knew what they had. Oh, and I use them as my everyday dishes! Everything I collect gets used. I'm inheriting one Aunt's Salt and Pepper Shaker collection and my favorite Aunt's collection of yarn/wool holders. I love them both so I'll have to think of a clever way to display-and of course, use them :happydance:

Shendah, your peach collection is lovely!

rebecca
06-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I've collected different things over the years, used to love Mickey Mouse things (yes, as an adult); and the Wizard of Oz (have an Oz Christmas tree, but a small one)...these are all in storage.
I now have a passion for collecting vintage knitting holders and vintage knitty things. It all began when my dear friend horve1 (Amy) gave me one this past year for Christmas, this is a lovely Hommer,
(click photos to enlarge)
they were made in NJ: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_hommeryarnholderfromamy.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/hommeryarnholderfromamy.jpg) Next Lonnie surprised me with the cutest clown, but she is too fragile to use, yet she's adorable and has a place of honor: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_vintage-clown-string-holder_edited-.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/vintage-clown-string-holder_edited-.jpg) And, yes, I've become obsessed! Love my mottled brown (there are many colors in the brown, but you can't see them in the photo), this one is bakelite: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_stringholder.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/stringholder.jpg) And the Beehive was apparently a standard, also bakelite: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_bakelite-beehive-woolholder.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/bakelite-beehive-woolholder.jpg) Then, earlier this year when I was in bad shape and bedridden for a long time my good friend, horve1 sent me this vintage needle gauge: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_bakeliteknittingneedlegauge.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/bakeliteknittingneedlegauge.jpg) Thanks, Amy, it sure made me feel better!!
Of course, it didn't stop there, remember who I'm married to, he gets nabs things like this when he sees it, too! Lonnie found this at the flea market: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_glasshead.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/glasshead.jpg)great for displaying hat designs! then we won this beauty, a Bex, also bakelite: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_bakelitefloralbexwoolholderfromebay.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/bakelitefloralbexwoolholderfromebay.jpg) Amy and I had both wanted this cool bakelite st holder, but I didn't tell Lonnie that I had told her to get it, so without knowing, he got it for me! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_18ann.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/18ann.jpg) Lonnie got the vintage st holder and this gorgeous vintage Hommer yarn holder for part of my anniversary gifts: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_18thagainann.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/18thagainann.jpg) I was so excited to say the least (the man spoils me rotten, he also got knitting books and other goodies!). Then he saw that I was watching this beauty and we both got up at 6 a.m. a couple of Saturdays ago to make sure that we won this gorgeous pink/red/white round bakelite yarn holder: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_yarnholdermottledredmay07.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/yarnholdermottledredmay07.jpg) She just arrived a few days ago and is STUNNING!!! Last but not least (and not the last by far, we have many yet to collect!) we won this cream colored Bex yar holder a few days ago: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_bexcreamyarnholder_edited-1.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/bexcreamyarnholder_edited-1.jpg), she should arrive this week. Lonnie and I have decided that we will not be purchasing yarn/wool holders until the backyard is redone.....I think this should do for now! LOL, it was my goal to have 2 of everything (I've changed that to perhaps 3 or 4 of each ;)
FYI, I use all of them and they work like a dream, hang it on your wrist with the yarn inside and knit away!! makes ya wonder why they quit making these beauties:shrug:
LOL, to answer your question, that's what I collect....and knitting books :thumbsup:

aylaanne
06-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Oh my goodness. I love seeing everyone's collections! I like to collect pairs of wine glasses, with interesting designs or logos on them. I have a few, but it's taken quite a bit of prodding to get people to get them for me. I've had to be off of the yard sale circuit for a while so I bet I've missed out on some great ones.

Also, I wouldn't say I collect pens so much as I hoard them. Whenever I go to a business and they have pens with their logo on them, I tend to nab one, and I like clicky pens the best.

rebecca
06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Clicky pens ROCK!!!!

mare-nitt
06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I know this is odd, but Dietz Lanterns. The older the better and I like them in their original shape, meaning if they are rusty and dented, I love it.
I just can't stand it when people paint them. They have to have an original globe and a cover for the tank.
I just love the way they are old and have been used. I have about 20 in my living room and kitchen ,on barn board shelves. We usually always try to pick one when we find them.

Marilynn

carmabelle1191
06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
My room seems to collect dust when I'm not looking. :?? :teehee:

jeanius80
06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
i dont collect any one thing, but whenever we go on vacation, i try to find a suvenier that is a little different! when we went to florida, i bought a bank that looks like a monkey made from coconuts! in hawaii, i bought a big (probably 30" tall) 'tiki' mask, and my first trip to portland, we went to the zoo, so i bought a can of zoo doo. when we went to mexico, i brought home a water bottle i filled with sand from the beach we stayed at. i wanted to bring home a sombrero, but dh said it was too much $$ :pout: next time!! we are going to idaho later this month.... can't wait to see what i find!

Lisa_H-Town
06-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I also collect Penguins... even got a tattoo of one... an Emperor Penguin. But had to put a moratorium on them (penguins, not tattoos), because once people know you collect something, they buy it for you -- no matter what it is... and you have to wonder...."couldn't they see how ugly this was before they bought it??" ... :roflhard: Please know, I have gotten some very bizarre stuff!

But I love them for thinking of me....

Rebecca: my BIL brought a MM comforter to Germany w/him when he was in the Army to cover his bed....

Rorshach
06-05-2007, 01:43 AM
I collect dust, and coins, especially the new GW gold dollars without the "in god we trust" on the edge. As well as music. :lol:

HamburgKnitter
06-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Rebecca, I got a chuckle out of you calling your knitting holders "she". :teehee:

Those are really cool!

ArtLady1981
06-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Knitting bags. :thumbsup: Does that count?

losnana
06-05-2007, 06:50 AM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:My room seems to collect dust when I'm not looking. :?? :teehee:

temergency
06-05-2007, 07:18 AM
My biggest collection is coffee cups, whenever someone goes somewhere, I give them a 10 dollar bill and ask them to pick me up a cup...I'm working on one from all fifty states...I'm mostly missing the midwest, I also have a cup from Sydney Austrailia from a friend who turned me onto frogs (a very personal message meaning) and I noticed that I already had a good collection!!! I have squishy frogs on my desk that are "stress relievers" and a mini pair of frogs that my 13 year old niece gave me when she was three saying that they were her and I in my pond!!! I also collect duck stuff because we raise them and of course needles, patterns, yarn, bags... and as a result I'm a big collector of plastic totes to put them all in!!! Have a great one!

Theresa

:rollseyes:

Doodknitwit
06-05-2007, 07:56 AM
i collected cows for a good while... then when I was given a 500lb concrete cow then a calf for an anniversary gift..:eyes: I decided I had enough cows :roflhard: then I switched to angels.. :heart: then people gave me cow angels :wall: :hair: Now I collect yarn etc :woohoo::yay: :chair: for my addiction :X:

marykz
06-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I love depression era glass- especially pink. and I love glass measuring cups and old kitchenware. old fire-king, milk glass, promotional measuring cups.... and my hubby loves coin sets. Ahhhh collecting..... so fun!

leedsfan
06-05-2007, 09:43 AM
I used to collect elephants once and keyrings,i dont collect anything now only yarn and patterns.

Momma_Jo
06-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Penguin-related stuff.

Dangles
06-05-2007, 06:23 PM

:roflhard: Oh Mason, you always keep me smiling :)

stitchwitch
06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I collect nothing. I have a few pieces of Dickens Village Christmas but they've all been bought for me and when I got a few I kind of put out the word that I didn't want anymore. My husband on the other hand collects EVERYTHING, he has so many collections I can't even begin to list them all. Me, I travel light, it's fun when we move because he has weeks of packing and I'm through in a couple of hours. :teehee:

SandraEllen
06-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I used to have a spoon collection. For a few years in high school, I nabbed a spoon from nearly every restaurant I went to. I had a ton of them.

Just recently my mom told me that she found my collection somewhere in her house. They just have a hodgepodge of silverware so she put my collection into her silverware drawer.

When I was there last weekend, we sat down to dinner and i took a look at my spoon. It must have been one from the local ice cream parlor - about 12" long and perfect for reaching the bottom of those tall sundae cups :roflhard: