PDA

View Full Version : Help with moths!

StacyAnn
06-01-2007, 05:24 AM
I had an infestation and got rid of all the bad stuff and have all the other wool in lock down and under heavy supervision. I just realized that I have some wool acrylic blends and I just put them into separate bags too. I tried looking on the internet but couldn't find anything on moths and yarn blends. Does anyone know if moths will infest a blend since they don't like acrylic?

Thanks, Stacy

Susan P.
06-01-2007, 05:39 AM
I buy camphor sticks (these are tube like containers with holes and camphor balls inside) and put them with all yarn in my tubs no matter what the make. I don't let the tubes rest up against yarn itself though. Not sure re your question but I'd prefer to play safe. I assume the moths would not be attracted as such to a plastic but many acrylics are blends of course. They may not eat the acrylic but they would be happy laying eggs in the fibres.

Jan in CA
06-01-2007, 01:06 PM
I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that putting the yarn in the freezer will kill them off. I'd keep it in a bag though. I'm sure someone will have dealt with it and can help you better.

kemp
06-01-2007, 04:33 PM
The lady at this blog (http://scrubberbum.typepad.com/moth_heaven/) has quite a bit of experience with moths. You may want to pose the quesiton there or search her posts...I know she has commented on it (lives in an older house and has recurring infestations...isn't that awful???!)

KnitClickChick
06-02-2007, 07:34 AM
This was before I knitted but several years ago, I had a bird who died. I neglected to throw out the bag of seed I had, and moths hatched inside the bag. Those suckers really multiply fast!! They were in everything!! We had to throw out so much boxed food, soups, pasta, etc. We used one of those bug fogger things, washed everything down, vaccumed every single thing that could be vacuumed. Finally they went away, but it was horrible!! They are very hard to get rid of.

MrsJSD
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM
One of the best sources for info on moths is the websites of university entomology depts. Here's an excerpt from Ohio State's:
Prevention
Good housekeeping is critical for preventing or controlling clothes moth damage. Never allow clothing, rugs, etc. to lie in a neglected pile. Regular use of a strong suction vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool to remove lint, hair, and dust from floor cracks, baseboards, air ducts, carpets, and upholstered furniture is necessary. Keep closets and dresser drawers clean. Regularly clean rugs where they fit close to the baseboards and under the quarter round. Inspect stored foods and eliminate bird nests and dead rodents. Launder and dry clean or steam clean clothes and other items before storage. Egg-laying clothes moths are attracted to soiled articles. Ironing will also destroy all stages of clothes moths. Sun, brush, and expose clothing to the weather. Outdoors, bright, hot sunlight, and wind will reduce larvae and damage. Frequent use of woolens and other animal fiber clothing almost assures no damage from clothes moth larvae.
Cedar-lined chests and closets are not 100 percent effective. The natural cedar oil evaporates and a fresh treatment of cedar oil should be applied every two years. Be sure that all cloth goods be dry cleaned, washed, pressed with a hot iron, sunned, or brushed prior to storage in an airtight container with an effective moth repellent.
Constant light illumination in the closet may discourage moths. Use tight-fitting doors. Try suspending wall to floor cotton drapes in front of clothing to keep dust and moths away. Fur storage in cold vaults is effective. Moth-proofing when woolens are manufactured may be effective forever, whereas treatments at dry cleaners are less permanent and need to be renewed regularly.
Freezing has been successfully used to control clothes moths. Place fabric in polyethylene bags, squeeze all air out to minimize condensation, and deep freeze the materials for three days. Infested antique objects should be either fumigated or deep frozen by an experienced licensed pest control operator.

MrsJSD
06-02-2007, 11:41 AM
This is the source of the excerpt in my previous post:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2107.html

Jan in CA
06-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I just found these articles;

http://knitting.about.com/od/yarn/f/store_wool.htm
http://knitting.about.com/od/yarn/f/rid_moths.htm