PDA

View Full Version : Body shapes and best patterns

mornnen
06-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi Everybody--

I am in the process of narrowing down the summer tank I am going to knit and I need help. My question is what pattern/design elements are best for those whose hips are well, a bit wide? To give you an idea, my hips are about 5-6 inches bigger than my bust size. There are three designs that I like, but two of them have ribbing from just below the bust down to the hip. And I am worried that those will emphasize what I would like to de-emphasize-- that it will show off my reasonable waist and the glaring difference between it and my hips.

Can anyone offer some good advice? I've attached photos of the tanks I am considering.

Thanks!

quiltbugj
06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I would think that either the red or green with the ribbing would provide the illusion of a gradual increase from bust to hips, while the orange one might leave you looking shapeless. BTW, could you provide a link for the green one - I love it!

Susan P.
06-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Mornen..The beauty of the ribbed patterns you've shown is that you could also do two colours..say black for the bottom and white for the top or if you like say blue you would do a darker blue for the bottom and a brighter one at the top. Ribbing will always emphasise body shape but clever use of colour can draw the eye to the parts you prefer are most noticed. If you were super clever you could even do 'grades' of say the blue with the darkest at the bottom around the hips..a middle colour at your waist and lighter at the top) The first pattern with the cabling (a lot of us fell in love with that recently :-) could be slimming or indeed make one's hips look broad depending on yarn used.

Do you already own ribbed garments..if so..do you like them on you? I think any of the choices would be fine but it's colour and yarn choice that will be most important.

Susan P.
06-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I meant to say..I would tend to make the body section longer on all but perhaps the green. I also like the green one of the two ribbed patterns (like quiltbugj) but the red would drop well if the body was longer. As it is it looks like it may be a little 'short' and not cover the hips at all.

mornnen
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I would think that either the red or green with the ribbing would provide the illusion of a gradual increase from bust to hips, while the orange one might leave you looking shapeless. BTW, could you provide a link for the green one - I love it!
Here is the link-- It is also in my "Tank top patterns: Any favorites" thread in the pattern section

http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/cata...oducts_id=1131 (http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_75_81&products_id=1131)

Julie

debinoz
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I like to wear my tops longer to hide my "saddlebags." (Thanks Grammy) I tried altering a pattern but it turned out looking more like a maternity top! If you figure it out.. let me know!!

quiltbugj
06-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Julie - that link doesn't work for me.

mornnen
06-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Julie - that link doesn't work for me.
That is strange, it had been working. Though my guess is that perhaps that online store sold out of it. Perhaps someone else really liked that pattern and bought it from them? However, if you do a search for "Filatura di Crosa" and "Spring/Summer 2006" you'll get some hits. However, as this magazine is no longer in print, I've not been able to find a site that has pictures of the other items except yarnmarket, which has one photo of a bolero. The only other detail I remember is that the green tank, called the vista, used that company's Vista yarn, which is also no longer in production.

Julie

jeanius80
06-01-2007, 11:33 PM
i would say the green top would be best. the v-neckline would draw the eye upwards and the ribbing would hug your waist and emphasize it. that would be flattering on almost any shape! :mrgreen: when you knit it though, take your measurements and knit it to fit you, but not with negative ease, that way it will drap against you and not make you look squeezed in. alternatly, if you made it loose it would probably make you look bigger than you are and not be flattering at all.

hunterjenn
06-02-2007, 02:11 AM
:thinking: Hmmm...I'd say the two-tone might be a good idea for slimming/drawing attention upward. I have a decently larger hip measurement than my waist/bust, too, and I would *never* do either of the ribbed tops for that reason--the ribbing would hug the curves, and stretch out unreasonably where my body gets wider.

I also agree that the orange top would look pretty boxy. Instead, I'd see if you can find a tank that's more fitted through the bust and just under, and then maybe floats away from the body a bit, down to the hips. Also, lengthwise, I try to make sure my tops hit me at my widest part--seems to de-emphasize the width by stopping there.

:crazy: Now good luck finding all of that! :teehee: And, you know, keep in mind that everything I'm saying is just what works for me--you might find you like something ribbed on you!

...now that I think about it, there may have been a tank like I'm describing in the Spring or Summer Interweave Knits...I'll check.

hunterjenn
06-02-2007, 02:19 AM
The Lotus Blossom tank here (http://www.interweaveknits.com/preview/2006_summer.asp) is a more extreme example of the flaring I was talking about. (Being busty, that would make me look pregnant). Still looking for something with more of an empire-waist shape...

The Josephine Top here (http://www.interweaveknits.com/preview/2007_summer.asp)would be good! :thumbsup:

Or the Ribs & Lace Tank (http://www.interweaveknits.com/preview/2007_spring.asp), though I would go shorter. There's another picture here (http://www.interweaveknits.com/Galleries/bonus/spring_2007/ribslace.asp). Again, I wouldn't recommend this one for busty girls. :pout:

:rofling: You're giving me an excuse to look for projects for myself!

ETA: You know what else? You could do the green one (or the red one), and just do the ribbing for 3 or 4 inches , and then go back to stockinette to get a similar effect!

VickyS456
06-02-2007, 04:43 AM
i would say the green top would be best. the v-neckline would draw the eye upwards and the ribbing would hug your waist and emphasize it. that would be flattering on almost any shape! :mrgreen: when you knit it though, take your measurements and knit it to fit you, but not with negative ease, that way it will drap against you and not make you look squeezed in. alternatly, if you made it loose it would probably make you look bigger than you are and not be flattering at all.

I totally agree!

redwitch
06-02-2007, 07:29 AM
I personally think that only the green top would be flattering on anyone. When I see a gorgeous woman modelling a knitted top, she often ends up looking chubby or shapeless because knitted fabrics do that sometimes, and I think 'if it makes HER look average, how bad will I look'!
Remember an hourglass figure is something to show off not hide! I agree about the colours dark vs. light and make sure to swatch well to get a really good fit. Think about tops you already own that you think flatter your shape: what characteristics do they have? Length, colour, drape, and measurements/style? You could make knitted tops similar if you know they make you look good.

Sarah

ArtLady1981
06-05-2007, 04:52 AM
I vote for the green tank.

booskibabe
06-05-2007, 07:45 AM
I have the exact same problem. I vote for the green one, it is so lovely! Definitely do what others have suggested and knit it to your measurements. What I do is pick the size that will fit my hips and throw some shaping in to get it to fit the rest of me. I also think the multiple colors idea is great. Whatever you make - take pics and how us, please!

mornnen
06-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all of your helpful input. I've ordered the pattern magazine (Filatura di Crosa) that has that tank in there. The next challenge is going to be picking a light weight, bulky and soft yarn for the tank, as the yarn called for in the pattern (vista) has been discontinued. Any suggestions? The description of the original yarn is: " Filatura Di Crosa's "Vista" is a bulky weight, 70% cotton and 30% nylon, mesh-like woven-in-the-round yarn with a slight sheen."

Thanks for all of your help:muah:
Julie

Doublereeder2
06-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I agree - the green or red would look nice. The ribbing adds a nice shape that is flatterning. The cabled one has no shape and would not enhance anything.

Brandilyne
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
mornen, add me to the list of green tank lovers :lol:

You could maybe try either Vacation or Get Away from Knit Picks (http://www.knitpicks.com/clearance+yarn_YL300103.html)? The texture might be a bit different from Vista, but they are both bulky and would work for a summer knit. They have the added bonus of being super CHEAP on clearance, though there are obviously only a couple colors available. The Pistachio sure is pretty though :inlove:

Maybe Adrienne Vittadini's Samantha might work also? If you scroll down here (http://www.woolworks.com/Knitting/Yarn/Disc%20Yarns/Vittadini/Vittadini.html), it appears to be on clearance.

It's too bad that Berroco's Love It (http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/love_it_sh.html) appears to be worsted weight; as it would probably be fantastic with that top and it comes in so many colors.

Ok, I'll be sitting here thinking of other possible bulky cotton blends now... :think:

RMB
06-05-2007, 07:19 PM
I have been watching this thread hoping that someone would ask where the tank top patterns come from? I saw the link for one of them..how about the other two? I really have been looking for some cute tanks that have nice over the shoulder coverage that I could knit...as you see I have not tried a garment yet!! :oo:

Thanks,
Rhonda

mornnen
06-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry about that -- I think the info was in another post, but I'll put it here too.

The green one is from "Filatura Di Crosa Spring/Summer 2006" pattern magazine. List price is about $13. Look at my reply to quiltbugj for suggestions on how to get a copy.

The one with the cable is from "chicknits.com" and is called "mondo cable"

The red one is called "scarlet woman" and can be found here
http://www.pieknits.com/blog/2006/10/scarlet_woman_sleeveless_tank.html

Julie

RMB
06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry about that -- I think the info was in another post, but I'll put it here too.

The green one is from "Filatura Di Crosa Spring/Summer 2006" pattern magazine. List price is about $13. Look at my reply to quiltbugj for suggestions on how to get a copy.

The one with the cable is from "chicknits.com" and is called "mondo cable"

The red one is called "scarlet woman" and can be found here
http://www.pieknits.com/blog/2006/10/scarlet_woman_sleeveless_tank.html

Julie

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! I think you have really good taste when it comes to picking out tanks!! I am so excited..now I just have to choose one and take the "I can knit a tank plunge" :happydance:

Thanks again!
Rhonda

mornnen
06-05-2007, 08:50 PM
You are welcome! And what part of MN are you in? That's where I grew up-- SE MN about 30 miles from Rochester.

RMB
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
You are welcome! And what part of MN are you in? That's where I grew up-- SE MN about 30 miles from Rochester.

Well, it sounds like you grew up somewhere very near where I am! I am in Austin...you know Spamtown USA!! So where did you grow up?? I'll be anxious to hear!!

mornnen
06-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Well, it sounds like you grew up somewhere very near where I am! I am in Austin...you know Spamtown USA!! So where did you grow up?? I'll be anxious to hear!!

I grew up in Spring Valley, MN. My folks no longer live there-- they retired just outside of Lanesboro, MN where my sister, husband and two boys have a dairy farm.

RMB
06-06-2007, 07:45 AM
I grew up in Spring Valley, MN. My folks no longer live there-- they retired just outside of Lanesboro, MN where my sister, husband and two boys have a dairy farm.

Very cool...that is not very far from me at all! Lanesboro is such a pretty area. We lived in Harmony after we were married (that sounds goofy...it is a town for those of you who don't know :thumbsup:). We would go to Lanesboro quite often to use the bike trail.

mornnen
06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Very cool...that is not very far from me at all! Lanesboro is such a pretty area. We lived in Harmony after we were married (that sounds goofy...it is a town for those of you who don't know :thumbsup:). We would go to Lanesboro quite often to use the bike trail.

How funny-- Harmony is where my great aunt Grace lives in an Assisted living center.