PDA

View Full Version : OT--advice needed

1knittychick
06-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I need help from my online family. I have hypothyroidism. I'm 60 pounds overweight and I am very careful of what I eat so I want gain anymore weight. I walk, swim, but nothing is helping to lose. If anyone else has this medical problem and you've lost weight, please let me know what you did. I've lost 5 pounds, but it seems that I'm at a stand still.

ctmax
06-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry I can't help much. I also have hypothyroidism and am about 30 pounds and gaining over weight, but have not tried to loose any of it yet. My youngest is starting preschool in September so I was planning on joining Curves. I was a member before I was diognosed with this and lost quit a bit of weight then. It probably doesn't help that after 2 years my medication still isn't correct. Every 2 - 6 months I get blood taken and medication is adjusted. I'd love to hear what other people have done.

Phretys
06-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 11 years ago, not long after I had my daughter. An ultrasound a couple of years ago (to rule out cancer and other problems) showed that my thyroid gland is much smaller than normal. I seem to be the only one in my family with a problem with being overweight; both my parents, as well as my sister and brother, are underweight.

The routine that had helped me lose the most weight was to cut out all sugar and junk food, and to not eat any food whatsoever between 6pm and 6am; basically I have to plan a small, early dinner for myself. Large dinners (and not eating breakfast) caused me to gain weight, but a good morning breakfast and a very light dinner had the opposite effect. I noticed that after around three days of not eating at night, my urge for late-night grazing had also gone away.

A springtime of Girl Scout cookies and fundraising goodies has done me in this year, however. :D

ctmax, I've heard that's not unusual. The amount of thyroid hormone you need can fluctuate from month to month.

Debi