PDA

View Full Version : A Knitwit

bhoran
06-02-2007, 03:45 PM
DOES ANYONE HAVE A TIP ON HOW TO EASILY "PICK UP AND KNIT"?

kblue
06-02-2007, 03:57 PM
welcome :waving:!!!!!! Humm well i would say to go to the store pick out a yarn (not something too thin and it doesn't have to be fancy) look at the needle size it requires on the label. Once you get that then come back here and take a look at the online videos in the "Basic Techniques" tab for cast on methods, knitting, purling, cast off. Without these videos i wouldn't have taken up knitting. I suggest the Double cast on a.k.a. Long Tail cast on....very fast and very easy for beginners. Have fun :star:

Jan in CA
06-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Do you mean to literally "learn" how to knit? Or do you mean pick up stitches from a project you are working on? Either way there are tutorials at the tabs at the top of the page with lots of videos and other help.

ironmaiden
06-03-2007, 08:41 AM
If you mean picking up stitches and knitting them, I believe there is a video here on KH that explains it. I think I learned it from reading Silver's Sock Tutorial about a thousand times (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm - it'll be after turning the heel in the directions).

It's pretty simple once you've done it once.

Ingrid
06-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Amy has video in her Basic Techniques-More section.

redwitch
06-03-2007, 08:55 PM
You're supposed to stick a needle through, loop the wool around and pull it back through, repeat. Many people find this impossible and use a crochet hook to get a stitch, then put it on the needle, and repeat.
I find the easiest way - especially when I don't have a hook handy! - is to put my left needle through the stitch, instead of using LN to pull a loop through, treat it like a normal stitch, put my right needle through and knit it like normal!!
Sarah