PDA

View Full Version : Recomendation on midrange yarns

schneiderphoto
06-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Hi everyone!

I very very new..just started knitting about a month ago - but i'm as hooked as can be! I"ve just finished my first lace piece and can't wait to move on to bigger better things :)

but I wanted a recommendation:
I'm not a perfect knitter - far from it, but would like nicER yarn than the schtuff you get all walmart, michaels, etc..I'm not willing to spend tooo much money on yarn yet since I'm still just starting.

I was looking at debbie bliss for price range and different blends.

anyone recommend a good mid grade starter yarn lace, fingering, or dk? or even any discount websites that might help me cut back on my cash expenditure?

Thanks so much for all your help guys! can't wait to join more discussions!

Meli

Momto G B and H
06-03-2007, 02:20 AM
My vote is for KnitPicks (http://www.knitpicks.com/). They have the MOST awesome yarn, and great prices.

ironmaiden
06-03-2007, 08:39 AM
You might want to see if there is a little yarn shop in your area (there was one very close to me I never knew about until I really searched) -- mine has a shed in the back where everything is 4 bucks - some nice stuff too, wool and cottons and whatnot.

It seemed the average inside the shop was about $9-10/skein - which seemed bad until I started working with it - quality definitely makes a difference - everything looks better :D.

dip's mom
06-03-2007, 10:32 AM
zephyr spun yarn comes in lace weight and, I think, DK weight and is a blend of silk and wool. It isn't cheap but there is alot of yardage. I bought mine from Halcyon yarns online. Sarah's yarns also sells it for a little better price, I hear. I haven't used my lace weight yet but many seem to really like it

suzeeq
06-03-2007, 10:36 AM
The house yarns (Mill direct) at elann.com are good inexpensive yarns too.

sue

Ingrid
06-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Plymouth Encore dk is a very nice yarn--soft and inexpensive, washes and dries nicely, too. There is also a very extensive line of colors.

A quick Google usually finds it on sale somewhere, too.