PDA

View Full Version : Options Question

KnitClickChick
06-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I see a lot of excited posts on here about KP Options finally arriving to people. I was just at their website, and they are pretty pricey. Are Options REALLY a worthwhile investment? What is it about them that makes them better/preferable to regular old needles? What, if any, problems have any of you had with them? I'd like to be well informed before I spend that much $$

SabrinaJL
06-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Actually, when you figure it out, they're really not all that pricey. Just think if you had to buy all those sizes in all different cable lengths. And they are WELL worth the money.

I was looking at these when I first started knitting. I also thought they were pricey and wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that much money when I wasn't even sure if I'd stick with knitting. My husband encouraged me to buy them and I'm glad I did. I really think they helped me get more into knitting because they are so great to knit with. I love that they are so slick and pointy. I did have a couple problems with them (cables coming apart and one needle not tightening) but KP customer service is awesome and they replaced them right away.

Knitting_Guy
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
There can always be some problems with anything mass produced. But if you find that you have a problem with your Options KP is very good about making it right. Excellent customer service.

I like them because they're very smooth and slick, very sharp points, and the cables are very flexible with very little memory.

They're a real pleasure to use.

As for problems, when I received mine they had left out the size 10s and put in two pairs of 10.5s and one cable had buggered threads. They immediately sent the missing items as well as a new cable, no questions asked.

The one thing I find a little annoying is that I have to make sure to keep checking that the cable is still threaded tight as it can work lose from the twisting action of knitting, No big deal, just check them every couple of rounds. I just do it automatically now.

KnitClickChick
06-03-2007, 09:51 PM
[quote=SabrinaJL;870328]Actually, when you figure it out, they're really not all that pricey. Just think if you had to buy all those sizes in all different cable lengths. And they are WELL worth the money.

:rollseyes: Sometimes the common sense part of my brain takes a vacation. I didn't even think of it that way. When you figure it out, it's a great deal, I reckon I'll have to order mine!!! Thanks guys!

mum2caden
06-03-2007, 09:52 PM
I love my options so much, but unfortunately, I only have 4 sizes because I just don't have the money for all of them at once. I am in Canada, so with shipping, it just makes more sense to order them all at once.

Recently, I bought a cheap-o pairs of boyd circulars (size 15) so I could knit a market bag (because it would have cost a lot more for me to order that one KP size) and I really struggled because of the difference between those and my lovely options. It just reinforced why I love them so much...and made me really with I had just paid the extra for the KP ones, since I will never use those boyd's again!

Braden
06-03-2007, 11:22 PM
They well worth the money, and the best metal interchangeable set out there. Right up there with Addis, and ditto what Sabrina said.

redwitch
06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
'Interchangeable needles' sticky at the top of GK forum has extensive discussion of this.
Sarah

Doublereeder2
06-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I really like mine too. If I had purchased all the different sizes in other needles, I think the cost would have been waaaaaay more.:inlove:

I rarely use my other needles any more.

redwitch
06-04-2007, 12:15 AM
If you are not likely to end up needing every needle size or cable length at some point, though, it's not so great value for money.

Sarah

aylaanne
06-04-2007, 01:28 AM
I wasn't sure about it either, so I bought one set of tips and one cable size. What I like about Options v. other interchangable sets is that I can buy it piecemeal instead of all at once. Sure, the alltogether set is a better bargain, but when you're on as severe a yarn/needle budget as I am, being able to buy one tip and one cable at a time is really a bonus. Plus, it gives you the option (snark) to try it out before shelling out the dough for the whole set. And a duplicate set of tips? So worth it.

KathyinCali
06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
The one thing I find a little annoying is that I have to make sure to keep checking that the cable is still threaded tight as it can work lose from the twisting action of knitting, No big deal, just check them every couple of rounds. I just do it automatically now.

Same here...My cables come loose all the time. I have to check at the end of each row. Were it not for that, I'd love them...

redheadrachel
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm excited about getting the set! It sounds really great from all the reviews!

ready2knit
06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Same here...My cables come loose all the time. I have to check at the end of each row. Were it not for that, I'd love them...

LOVE my Options. Regarding the cables coming loose- you need some resistance when you attach. I use a rubber jar opener to give once last little twist. Since using the opener, they have never come loose.

Options are worth the money. As with all things, having the right tools make all the difference in the world.:lol:

Jana

Lisa_H-Town
06-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Love the Options... I ordered everything I even thought I would need, so I wouldn't have to wait for new needles/cables if I found I needed them. Don't want to jinx myself, but haven't had them come loose.
I did a search here on KH Forum of what other people suggested and/or ordered to supplement their kit, and went from there.

losnana
06-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Right now I'm knitting a Wonderful Wallaby. When i did the sleeves, I just removed the needles from the cables and put the round "end-things" on. Same thing when I did the pouch. Without the Options, I would've had to have several sets of the same size needles or take the sleeves off the needles and place onto yarn or a large stitch holder. This is a hundred times simpler.