PDA

View Full Version : WAAH! Bent needle!!

misha rf
06-03-2007, 11:56 PM
OK, so we got in the car to go out to dinner tonight (yeah, it's only a 10 minute drive, but I can't stand not having something to do). I pull my knitting out of its bag, where it's sat since Friday afternoon. And discover that one of my needles is bent!!!

Y'all should have seen me trying to straighten it in the car. I was trying to bend it back with my knee, by stepping on it, by trying to use my pitiful arm strenghth...:rofl:

My husband was able to sort of unbend it (I did get it slightly unbent). But it's nowhere near straight. :pout:

It's a Boye 14" aluminum needle, size 8. I do have a set of 10" 8s, but hate using short, straight needles (unless they're DPNs). I only have bamboo circs, but am using acrylic, so I have no desire to switch to those. On the bright side, I'm on the decreasing end of the baby blanket, so it'll fit on the 10" needles.

I have NO idea how it happened. :shrug: I don't recall stepping on the bag, and the only other human in the house is my husband. I don't keep the bag in the way of foot traffic. It wouldn't bother me quite so much if the needles hadn't belonged to my late MIL. :sad:

Anyone have any ideas on how to straighten it out??

kellycarr05
06-04-2007, 12:29 AM
I am destashing some needles for $1 and $2 if you need some check out the buy and sell section. Maybe I have a replacement for you....very cheap.:thumbsup:

debinoz
06-04-2007, 01:19 AM
This "sort of" happened to me... only I did step on the bag, at the dentists office, and wound up on the floor. It was really hilarious... until I saw my needle. It was a 6, but I'd think you could use the same method. I used the vice in DH's shop. Wrapped a cloth around where it went in the vice and applied pressure to straighten it. It's "pretty" straight now. But a word of caution... if it's a hollow one, it could snap if you applied too much pressure.

misha rf
06-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I'll try that today! Thank you! :muah:

misha rf
06-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I am destashing some needles for $1 and $2 if you need some check out the buy and sell section. Maybe I have a replacement for you....very cheap.:thumbsup:

Thank you!! I'll check that out!! :muah:

carmabelle1191
06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I had a pair of size 6 14" aluminum needles and they ended up bending also. I didn't step on them, but they were left around a lot so I'm sure something happened to them that I didn't realize. If it annoys you that much, you could always buy a new pair.