PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT - Hair Straightening Irons?

knitqueen
06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
I want to buy a hair straightening iron. My sister has one that I've tried and it works great, but she payed $60 for it and that was even with a discount from her friend who works at a salon. I do not have that kind of money to spend on something like this. There are SO MANY irons sold at drug stores though, most between $20-$30, and I'm wondering if anyone has one and what they could tell me about it. I don't want to waste my money on a cheapy iron if it's not going to do anything. :D

debinoz
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
I bought a $20 one from Wally-World and it straightens fine, but also leaves DD's hair looking kind of frizzled...if that's a word. Her friend has a $50 one and it does a beautiful job. So I think when it comes to straighteners it's a case of, "you get what you pay for." HTH

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
My advice is to get a ceramic one; they don't get so hot they burn and damage your hair. Also, I prefer the ones that are more narrow than the ones that are wider. it takes longer to straignted that way, but I find it more consistant.

Nobones
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I have a pair of irons that cost 12 ($22). They work nice. When you use ANY heat styling product on your hair you should use a spray in protector, that stops it going all frizzy and gives your hair a nice shine. You don't have to go very expensive. Although I always wanted a wet to straight set.

knitwit628
06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I have a Remington Wet and Dry straightner. It's ceramic and I bought mine at Walmart for a good price... can't remember how much. Anyways, the one I have will straighten dry, damp, and wet hair depending on what setting you set it on. It works really well, but that's my opinion of course. :)

Kaydee
06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a Hot Tools that I got from a beauty supply store, I think it was $45 or $50 but I've had it for about 4 years and it still works good. In my experience, the drugstore ones aren't very good, I bought one at Wal-Mart and it was horrible. I have pretty curly hair though so I need a good straightener. Like Deb said, you pretty much get what you pay for. In my advice go for the bit pricer one that'll work better.

redheadrachel
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
I have the Remington Wet 2 Straight. It works really well for me, and it's under 30 bucks. It does take a really long time if you try to straighten and dry your hair when it's completely wet, but it's great when I dry my hair a little bit then straighten when it's damp.

knitqueen
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
My hair is mostly straight, with just a few odd waves and weird flips here and there, and I'd like the straightener to just give me a more 'finished' look. It wouldn't have to take care of major curls or anything like that. So maybe one of the better drug store ones would be okay for me. I'll take a look.

Thanks everyone.

PaperGirl
06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a ConAir Thermal Shine.

I honestly have NO idea how much it was though. I got it and the hair dryer for free.

I LOVE the straightener. Its narrow..heats up FAST...and it has an auto shut off...sometimes I get to running around, and leave my bathroom for a bit, and I come back, and its off.

hydeemarie
06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't know about you all... but I got a Wet2Straight straightner and I :heart::heart: it alot!!! It does exactly what the name suggests... it's amazing!!!

auburnchick
06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Several years ago, I bought the Chi flat iron. It was a little more expensive than what you buy in a regular store, but because I have naturally-curly hair, I wanted to invest in something that really works.

Here's (http://www.originalchi.com/) a site that gives more information about it. I bought mine through my hairdresser. I think you can find them on Ebay.

I TOTALLY vouch for this iron. The first time my hairdresser straightened my hair with it, I had Jennifer Anniston hair!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: Of course, not the $$ or the bod... :teehee:

One of the biggest things, though, it taking care of your hair when you use the iron. Make sure you buy some serum to moisturize your hair first. The Chi is GREAT, but it is HOT and will fry your hair if you're not careful.

BinkyKat
06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I have two and got them both at Trade Secret. They weren't cheap and at the time I had the money to do it. They are both ceramic and one is the above mentioned CHI at about 1 inch wide and the other is a different brand called Hardcore about 1/2 inch and I actually used them more when I had short hair and was doing the messy piecey look with my hair. Spray for heat styled hair is a good tip. I agree with the you get what you pay for. I found my mom's iron she got at Target got hot enough to frizzly my hair but not hot enough to do a quick straightening. I have naturally straight hair so as I grew my hair out a bit, I use it more to redirect the natural just-lay-there-edness of my hair to kind of be flippy on the ends or lift the roots on top. Before that, on the more affordable side, I found the best 20 bucks I ever spent was on a hot air brush when during one mid lenght style period I used to dry and sort of smooth wave my hair all at once. :thumbsup:

clb1968
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I have a Conair Infiniti , straightner from Walmart. It does the job, I use VO5 spray mist for flat irons before I put the iron to my hair.

madametj
06-04-2007, 10:52 PM
I've got something called a Maxiglide. Its costs about $90, but its totally worth it 'cause its different from every other flat iron on the market. The big difference is that it actually has small teeth inside so that it detangles your hair as it straightens it.

Here (http://www.maxiusbeauty.com/index.php) is what it looks like and you can look here (http://www.maxiusbeauty.com/index.php) for a demonstration.

Stitch
06-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the CHI! It is the ABSOLUTE top flat iron. Even better than the ones that are more expensive. However, it is about $100, but, I have to say, I bought it about 5 years ago and it's still in perfect condition, use it at least 2-3 times a week.

Now, if you really dont want to spend that kind of money, a HotTools one is pretty good. You wont get that super sleekness that you would from a CHI, but then again, like the PP said, with flat irons, you really do get what you pay for (for the most part)!!

If you DO opt to get a CHI, DO NOT let the salesperson talk you into getting the Turbo. They will say that its better, bc you can adjust the heat, but honestly (I used to work at ULTA) there is NO need....You will always just keep it on high. Its just a waste of an extra 30 bucks. :thumbsup:

psammeadred
06-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I agree with the people above - the Chi is AWESOME. I could never get my hair actually "straight" until I used the Chi. The ones I got at Walmart only made my hair sort of wavy.

VickyS456
06-06-2007, 03:15 AM
I agree, Chi is best, but the higher end models from BaByliss are good too.

My hair is pretty straight, so I only use mine to get that super-straight look. I find both the Chi and the BaByliss brands are the best at not frying my hair, which is bleached blond from dark brown... My hair looks healthier after straightening then before.

pointy_teeth
06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I have both a Chi and a Sedu. But I gave the Chi to my sister. They both are great straighteners but they are very pricy. Check out this site (http://www.folica.com/) for other straighteners and reviews from people(with pictures).