PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with needle dilema!

Nobones
06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I need advice. I know there is a thread about needle kits, but that just left me more confused. I'll tell you what I need then maybe you can help?

I need a 40cm (16") circular needle, in a few sizes, and a straight needle 0f 2.5mm (I think that's US size1). I can't buy either of them in the UK so I thought a kit would be a good idea as I only have 3 sets of needles!

Which one's would be best for me. I don't mind having to tighten screws ever few rows. I don't mind plastic or metal.

Could someone PLEASE give some advice?

Jeremy
06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Nobones, A kit might fit the bill if you are looking for sizes within the ranges provided in the kit. I am not aware of any kit that has a size 1. All kits have an array of different lengths of cord. Denise has a 17" which would probably work.

Mulderknitter
06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Options also has the 16" available in extras that are not part of their kits

Nobones
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I couldn't find the extras for the Options. I'm not even sure I can get them being in the UK. May be I should email them and tell them what I am looking for?

Orangeus
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
http://knitpicks.com/Classic+Circular+Knitting+Needles_NDKPFixedCables. html

There is the link to Knitpicks' circs, with the 16 inch ones. Is that still not what you were looking for?

Nobones
06-04-2007, 05:55 PM
O.k, that's what I'm looking for, so they are not part of the kit and are classed as a single needle?

But I can't get them in the UK can I?

I'm really disappointed by this because they are such a nice set and I do think I prefer these to the Denise. (I've actually seen a set of those and they don't look sturdy.

Oh poo! I live in the uk and they won't sell to the uk!

Ingrid
06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
They'd be more expensive, but if you're looking for 16-inch needles, Addi has them.

Nobones
06-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't really want to pay that for one needle.

I've emailed Knit Picks last night to see if there is any way I would be able to get a set in the UK, I said I'd take a chance on shipping hopefully we can come to some arrangement.

However hubby says they won't do anything because it says the only way they will sell outside the US is if you have a us address to send it to. That means you are paying for postage twice which seems to me to be a little unfair.

I don't know why but I feel quite upset that I can't get a nice set of needles.

marykz
06-05-2007, 08:54 AM
how soon do you need them and which ones? I'm thinking of placing a KP order in a couple weeks, and could send them on to you. it might take a while since I'm in the US... did KP respond to your email?

Doublereeder2
06-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Do you friends or family in the US who can send them to you? Shipping shouldn't be too expensive since the box will be small.

The Options needles are really nice. I hope you can work it out.

Nobones
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't have any family in the US, and I don't know anyone on here well enough to ask them.

I've actually just rung them,( I'll worry about the phone bill another time!) and they said they couldn't help and to see if any other places hey sell to would help. They would give any names though! :wall::wall::wall: :waah:

Nobones
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
I've just emailed a company in Finland. Wonder if I'll get any joy there? :pout:

mulene
06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi Nobones.

I do have an options set due to the kindness of someone here - I paid the cost of postage with Malabrigo yarn.

However, you CAN get the stuff you are after from Ebay. There are a number of good sellers I can recommend including Janettes Rare Yarns for good prices on Addi's in the sizes and lengths you want.

I would suggest for ease of delivery, that you get a Denise set. These are available from Ebay or from some sellers in the UK (I believe Cucumberpatch sell them and Kangaroo may do too).

I have a denise set - they are resin and I love them. The cables are a bit grabby but they are perfect for working with slippery yarns (bamboo for instance) as you don't drop the stitches. In addition the cables can be joined together to make super long cables for trying your WIP on.

Options cables are thin and very flexible much like Addi needles. If you want more info on the trusted sellers I use please drop me a PM.

Nobones
06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
how soon do you need them and which ones? I'm thinking of placing a KP order in a couple weeks, and could send them on to you. it might take a while since I'm in the US... did KP respond to your email?

Thats kind of you, but I kinda feel Knit picks should do something and not other people. Besides, I think this might be a 'Dad's credit card job'

The Denise range A don't go small enough and B, when the lady in the shop let me handle them, They popped of straight away. No thanks, I don't have the patience for that. The other make are too expensive.

I've tried looking on eBay for options but so far nothing.

kemp
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I have two sets of the Denise kit and love them. They are plenty sturdy and I haven't had any problems with them.

mwedzi
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
It struck me as really unlikely that 40cm circulars are not available in the U.K. Where have you looked? I just checked the U.K.'s local Ebay and searched for "40cm circular" and got lots of results at affordable prices.

And one more question, does the size 1 really need to be a straight needle? You can always knit flat on circulars.

Nobones
06-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Well that's that. Finland say "We are very sorry but Knit picks prevent us from selling to the UK."

Hubby said " I told you so and don't worry I'll sort it out" My hero thought I!

Just now has come in saying no way is he paying that for needles! I tried gently to explain I've tried everything to get the sizes here, his response?

"Don't knit anything that uses those sizes"! Men! (Sorry knitting guys) Non knitting Men!

mulene
06-07-2007, 08:37 AM
I think that the person who showed you the denise set did not put it together properly. I have had no problems at all with the denises as long as you make sure you hear the "click" when the ends are attached to the cords.

You can cheaply get a Boye set from ebay easily enough but I wouldn't recommend Boye as the cable is very stiff.

As I said earlier, for the smaller sizes you require Cucumberpatch, Jannettes Rare Yarns (aka 4to4 on Ebay) and Kangaroo all have small size circs at 40cm long.

You can also try the Knitting and Crochet guild of Great Britain who have a shop attached to the site via KTG trading. http://www.knitting-and-crochet-guild.org.uk/

Hope this helps

truenorth
06-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

truenorth
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Nobones,
I am considering ordering a KnitPicks Options set. I just now checked their website and anything over $45 ships for free to U.S. If you want to piggyback your order with mine, I would be glad to forward to you if you want to pay the shipping to UK. I have a friend in Australia who often has stuff shipped to me when vendors (like many on ebay) won't ship overseas. I then forward to him. I wouldn't mind doing the same for you. I am about to leave for Montreal until 22nd June so wouldn't be placing an order until late June when I get home. Think about it and let me know?
Lynnea