PDA

View Full Version : NORO

mare-nitt
06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
My order came today, and it included my Noro Big Kureyon, it is beautiful. Plus I ordered the World of Noro #17 lots of ideas.

I just love it when the delivery man comes and brings a package.

I just thought I would share this with other people who can get excited over yarn too, and understand. Now I just need to find something to make out of it.

I am going to go look at it again.

Marilynn

auburnchick
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
:cheering:

Good for you!!!!! Enjoy!

Quiltlady
06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I love Noro yarns. I've used three of their lines and I love their color combinations. I don't think its the softest yarn but its one of the prettiest.:cheering:

MrsJSD
06-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Noro's Cash Iroha is wonderfully soft and drapes like a dream.

Ingrid
06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
My new love is Noro!:heart:

jeanius80
06-04-2007, 09:51 PM
:heart:i love noro too! went to a LYS yesterday for some aurora, and she didn't have any. i ended up getting some boku from plymouth in a very pretty green colorway!

ArtLady1981
06-05-2007, 04:25 AM
NORO yarns :heart: always catch my eye! I just can't seem to resist them.

My alltime favorite NORO project was a jacket using TRANSITIONS! The colorway I used doesn't seem to be available anymore. It is a combination of creams, whites, lt beiges, lt taupes, and light powdery greys. (photo #1)

My second favorite NORO yarn is Silk Garden. (photo #2)

Third favorite (for a bulky)NORO yarn is IRO.

marykz
06-05-2007, 09:32 AM
oooh lucky you! My noro tidiori came the other day- love that yarn! can't wait to see what yours transforms into!

jeanius80
06-05-2007, 09:52 AM
NORO yarns :heart: always catch my eye! I just can't seem to resist them.

My alltime favorite NORO project was a jacket using TRANSITIONS! The colorway I used doesn't seem to be available anymore. It is a combination of creams, whites, lt beiges, lt taupes, and light powdery greys. (photo #1)

My second favorite NORO yarn is Silk Garden. (photo #2)

Third favorite (for a bulky)NORO yarn is IRO.
i loooooove that transitions jacket! those colors lok so sft!:inlove:

Chel
06-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Every Noro I have ever touched has been just itchy scratchy. I liken it to Lambs Pride. They feel the same to me. But I have keritosis and that makes me overly sensitive to rough things I think.

Still the colors are pretty and I wouldn't mind using it for something felted.

VickyS456
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm so excited for you! I've never used Noro and am dying to :waah:

jeanius80
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
:pout: vicky!! i feel bad for you... the colors are so pretty. i have some i bought from KH's buy/swap forum. it's the kureyon. i really want to try some of the other noros, like cash iroha, and lily:heart:

PaperGirl
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Never touched it.

But Im itching to get my hands on some to try a Booga. Eventually.

VickyS456
06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
:pout: vicky!! i feel bad for you... the colors are so pretty. i have some i bought from KH's buy/swap forum. it's the kureyon. i really want to try some of the other noros, like cash iroha, and lily:heart:

LOL! Rub it in, why don't you? :pout: :roflhard:

I hope your secret swapper takes your hint too! :thumbsup:

VictoiseC
06-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Darn it! I can't get my quotes to work!

I'm using Cash Iroha for the first time to make the Slouchy Cardigan with hood from Knit Cafe. I love it!
Looking forward to seeing how it "drapes nice".

And that Transitions! That is some yarn but wow is it expensive! I could only afford one skein when I first found it and I haven't used it yet, but those jackets are SUPER!!! (Artlady) That first jacket is really different, the way the stripes are angled.

I don't think Noro is half as scratchy? as Lambs Pride.Some people have said in the past that it's scratchy, irritable on the skin but I made my very first scarf out of it (Kureyon) and I've wore it for 3 winters, it softened up pretty quick with just wearing it, I didn't wash it or anything.

Have fun with that yarn!

ArtLady1981
06-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I must admit...I did not buy my TRANSITIONS at my LYS!
I have a few "Favorite Sellers" on Ebay that offer TRANSITIONS at better prices. And a better price yet if buying a full bag of 10.

Even so... it was spendy. :pout: I bought it with part of my bonus.

The pattern is a Jamieson's pattern. It is called the Sausalito Jacket. It is knit starting at a corner and casting on one stitch...and doing increases at each end, etc. til it reaches a certain point, then you only increase at one end, and decrease at the the other end.

It was a pretty easy pattern!

The hardest part to "get down" was the dang "crab stitch" around all the edges! :teehee:

My daugther cannot wear any NORO yarn...mostly because of the animal hair fibers. She doesn't just itch, she gets welts.:pout:

I wear most of my NORO jackets and pullovers with another shirt underneath. I don't wear any of them right next to the skin. I make mostly oversize loose fits, and they call for another shirt underneath. So, that kinda removes any itch factor.

Thanks for the compliments.

If anyone wants to know more about the book with that Sausalito Jacket...let me know. I can post the book details. It has a ton of cool jackets, etc. Very worth the price. It is soft cover, so not too expensive.

VictoiseC
06-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks! I'll watch for that book at my lys and B&N. Not sure if I'm ready to make a jacket yet, but I know I will be in the future.

MrsJSD
06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Chel, have you felt Noro's Cash Iroha? It is 40% silk, 30% lambswool, 20% cashmere, and 10% nylon. I'm knitting with it now and I find it as soft as can be; I would make something for a baby with it.

rorygilmore
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I love Noro yarn. My Step Mom sent me Noro yarn from japan but I don't know which yarns they are. The one in the hanks label says Impersions but I've never heard of it. and the other is %100 hair which I'm guessing means wool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/DSCF5374.jpg

stirsmommy
06-06-2007, 02:30 PM
My ds is going to Japan to visit the inlaws so I am thinking if it is cheaper I will ask him to pick me up a couple of skeins in a pretty color.
Melissa

rorygilmore
06-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes it is cheaper in Japan, the Implession was $5 and the other under $5 per skein.

stirsmommy
06-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Now I think I am going to send him with money just for that. I wonder what a 17yo boy will pick. Hopefully mil will help him out since his favourite color is grey.
Melissa

syndactylus
06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
for the people knitting with cash iroha - do you pick out the tufts or just leave them?

MrsJSD
06-07-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't have any tufts in my Cash Iroha. The yarn does get more or less plump as you go along, but there's nothing I would ever think of pulling out. I like the variation in thickness, it gives the final garment a sort of organic look, more "dimensionality"...is that a word?

Transitions was fun to knit with. The fiber, color, texture, and thickness ALL vary as you knit along. It's aptly named.

syndactylus
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
maybe I just got some that was slightly imperfect? :pout:
as often as not, there were these tufts that looked like the tufts of hair I would always pick out of my dog's back in spring, and in others big balls that weren't really spun, every time it got thick.
I picked some out.
I left some in.
my sweater seems a little less weird now that it's washed, but unfortunately the swatch lied!
but on the bright side, shortening it will get rid of more of the tufts! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
maybe I just got some that was slightly imperfect? :pout:
as often as not, there were these tufts that looked like the tufts of hair I would always pick out of my dog's back in spring, and in others big balls that weren't really spun, every time it got thick.
I picked some out.
I left some in.
my sweater seems a little less weird now that it's washed, but unfortunately the swatch lied!
but on the bright side, shortening it will get rid of more of the tufts! :cheering:

I have knit with several types of NORO: IRO, Cash Iroha, Silk Garden, Kuryeon, Transitions...

....and a besides my scissors and a crochet hook...I always have a pair of tweezers next to me! NORO has lots of surprise elements in it! Twigs, tufts, etc. I manipulate the colorway sometimes,too...hence the scissors! But, good thing about most NORO...it "joins" really well using the "spit'n'splice' method. (no, I don't actually use spit:pout:) An invisible join!

That's my 2 cents for today! :teehee:

MrsJSD
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Meg Swansen DOES use spit in the DVD which is an updated version of "Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Glossary".

jeanius80
06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Meg Swansen DOES use spit in the DVD which is an updated version of "Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Glossary".
:biting:

is that the same as drooling on the pretty yarns?:shrug:

:mrgreen:

syndactylus
06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
dear artlady,
I remembered reading that from you before, but I figured it was only for the tweedier kind you actually pulled stuff out.
I was scared I'd ruin the yarn too.
I think I did mess it up a little in one place.
but maybe it will go away again.
now that I have washed it, I will be waiting until it is time to buy the burgundy one.
it is so soft.
and shiny.
I wish it came in a thin-thin version. I could make pajamas.