View Full Version : What is this?

06-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know what this is? My grandma had it at her house. She said you wrap your yarn on it and it puts it into skiens. Is this correct?

06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
:shrug:looks like some sort of niddy noddy?

06-04-2007, 08:22 PM
It looks to me like a swift. The pieces at the end of the spokes (one of which is missing) should be 90 degrees from the plane of the wheel. Then you can tie the end of your yarn loosely to one of them and turn the handle (I think I see it near the center of the wheel on one of the spokes) to wind the yarn into a hank around the "wheel". You can then tie some scrap yarn around it in a few places, remove from the wheel, twist and store or wind it off the swift into a ball by hand or with a ball winder.

06-04-2007, 08:59 PM
yes!! it is to wind yarn then twist into hanks