PDA

View Full Version : Microspun

hydeemarie
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
So i got some of the lion brand microspun to make some socks with. Any special things that i should know about? do you like it? your experiences? thanx!

Jan in CA
06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Any special things that i should know about? do you like it? your experiences? thanx!

Well.... I don't think "I'd" use it for socks because I think it would make your feet sweat....it's not particularly breathable or absorbant. It's not a tightly wound yarn so it's very splitty. I made some dishcloths with it and I like them for their bright colors and the fact that they don't stain much at all. It's a nice soft yarn though for sure!

G J
06-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Very soft, but very splitty. Snags rather easily, but comes in GREAT colors!

cookworm
06-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I made a baby hat out of it, and it was VERY soft and has a nice sheen to it (and the fact that it's machine washable is a plus!), but it is quite splitty.

hydeemarie
06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
so, the niceness of the yarn overpowers the splitty quality i take it?:pray::lol:

Jan in CA
06-05-2007, 11:25 AM
so, the niceness of the yarn overpowers the splitty quality i take it?:pray::lol:

Start knitting and let us know. :teehee:

jeanius80
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
i love knitting with it, but i hated casting on. the plies kept seperating, but after the first round, everything went fine !

brownishcoat
06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I used it to make some socks for my daughter:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/44/136493495_ea2da94945.jpg

But I don't know how they wear, because she won't wear them. :pout:

I am using it right now to make a purse from "Knit and Fused Purses".

hydeemarie
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I hope mine turn out that nice... the yarn is sooo soft!!

Mariblue
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I made a baby hat and socks with this yarn, and loved it. It does tend to be splitty. But I love the sheen in the yarn, and it knits up quite nicely. It's worth the splitty nature, in my opinion. It's not a very absorbant yarn, to be sure.

Chel
06-05-2007, 02:14 PM
How about its usefulness as a baby washcloth? Was thinking of making some for the boss's baby due next month. Most cotton is still too rough for what I would want. Opinions?

Jan in CA
06-05-2007, 03:22 PM
How about its usefulness as a baby washcloth? Was thinking of making some for the boss's baby due next month. Most cotton is still too rough for what I would want. Opinions?
IMO I think it would be fine for a baby washcloth. It's very soft and doesn't need to be absorbent for that.

hellokitty165
06-05-2007, 04:26 PM
i only finished one side of the sock...they are stretchy and maybe u should go down on needle size ...i love them soft...i love to pet them though...

mdog182
06-05-2007, 05:24 PM
i've used microspun for some dishcloths/wash rags for my mom for mother's day...but i honestly don't know how well they work because i have not asked her about them and she hasn't mentioned them. :shrug: but they were pretty and very bright! i totally agree about the yarn's tendency to split and i'm not sure how well they would work as socks because i could see them being REALLY REALLY warm. oh and for the washcloths i doubled up the yarn which worked really well. it made them extra cushy.

hydeemarie
06-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, I started some socks with the micro spun on #3 wooden dpns... now i know that wooden needles have more grippage than metal needles, but I had to fight with the needles and yarn to get the stitches to slide off the needle! What is up with that? My tension is normal ( which is not tight at all!!! ) so I dont know what is up! I frogged the partial sock and am trying to find a different pattern to use this yarn for. :??:??

feministmama
06-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, I started some socks with the micro spun on #3 wooden dpns... now i know that wooden needles have more grippage than metal needles, but I had to fight with the needles and yarn to get the stitches to slide off the needle! What is up with that? My tension is normal ( which is not tight at all!!! ) so I dont know what is up! I frogged the partial sock and am trying to find a different pattern to use this yarn for. :??:??

Use slipperier needles. I had the smae thing happen to me. I have some plain ole Susan Bates metal dbl and they worked SOOOOo much better. Love the softness and bright colors too. Great for baby/kid stuff. I still have some and use it from time to time to make something for my little kid nieces (twins) Good luck!:waving:

psammeadred
06-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Microspun makes lovely baby hats!

ArtLady1981
06-06-2007, 02:22 AM
Don't use pointy needles. The splits will drive ya nuts!

Otherwise, I love the feel of Microspun, and I love the saturated colors! Beautiful colors...and no fading.

I have never knit a single sock, so I don't know if it would be a good yarn for feet.

brownishcoat
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I knitted the socks on metal size 2s (Boye) and I didn't have any slipping problems. The purse is knit on KP Options size 4s, and I didn't have any trouble between the splits and the pointy tips.The 2s were more troublesome, but the tighter gauge is needed when knitting socks, IMO.

jeanius80
06-06-2007, 06:42 PM
michaels also has microspun on sale 2/$5:mrgreen: