PDA

View Full Version : What Else?

Dangles
06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Besides the set of KPOs, what else would you get to "complete", your collection?

G J
06-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Of needles or other notions?

Dangles
06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Of needles or other notions?

That'd be both.

G J
06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
My MIL is a fairly new knitter and I got her a bunch of "extras" for Mother's Day. I got her stitch markers, needle and stitch gauge, post-it notes, retractable tape measure, small scissors, stitch holders, crochet hook, yarn needles...I put it all in a small pouch (actually one I got free with a makeup purchase!):whistle:

I also bookmarked KH on her hubby's website and showed her how to access it, since she's pretty computer illiterate.

Miss Moosey
06-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Double pointed needles are a must for me.

Perhaps, in addition to what GJ said, a needle gauge and a good knitting book (for both patterns and general knitting information)--for when you are away from the internet.

Rebecca

G J
06-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh, yeah. I also got her "Knit Fix", and I printed a pattern I knew she would like with very specific instructions, not just the abbreviations.

Silver
06-05-2007, 11:12 PM
All the classic circular needles in sizes 0-4, and all the 16 inch needles
Full set of DPNs, or 0-10.5 at least
Crochet hooks
Stitch markers
Needle protectors
Stitch/needle gauge
Tapestry needles
Tape measure
Small scissors
Row/stitch counters
The knitters handy guide to Yarn Requirements
The knitters handy book of sweater patterns
The knitters handy book of patterns
A knitting bag
Nail file and hand lotion

That's about all of my absolute necessities for knitting.

humblestumble
06-06-2007, 02:35 AM
Silver pretty much covered what I would have said. I don't have two of those books though, but I am sure they are awesome.

I think I would also want a yarn swift and ball winder. I go nuts sometimes when I have to go through knots and knots of yarn.

Braden
06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I always keep in my Knitting Bag with me:

-The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee
-A spare ball of yarn for the project I'm working on.
-Spare needles and yarn to teach beginners
-My KnitPicks Options set. I keep holders and stitch markers, etc in it.
-My emery board.

Knitting_Guy
06-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Gotta have a really good bag.

And some really nice stitch markers.

Nobones
06-06-2007, 05:57 PM
If we're not talking needles then it would have to be a bag for knitting on the go. there are so many out there that are so nice, I can't choose! Also a little case to keep my tape measure and little bits in.

KnittingNat
06-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I always keep in my Knitting Bag with me:

-The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee
-A spare ball of yarn for the project I'm working on.
-Spare needles and yarn to teach beginners
-My KnitPicks Options set. I keep holders and stitch markers, etc in it.
-My emery board.
ContiKnitter, I wanted to ask you about the Sweater workshop.
I saw it on eBay, but i don't know what inside and before i pay huge shipping, i wondered how useful is it? Does it give you ways to design your own sweater patterns?

sara_jayne
06-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Silver's list is fantastic!

I would add a chart keeper of some sort and a pen/pencil and a small notebook. Oh, and a measuring tape of some sort and perhaps some cable needles if you are intersted in that!

Dangles
06-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I'm not really starting from scratch per say. Needles needles here I come. Now just to firm up what I want on top of the KPO Set. What's the safest size for the classic circs?

I wonder what DPNs I'd utilise most.

Dangles
06-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Oops dbl post.

G J
06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
It all depends what you knit, what yarn you use, what gauge you knit, etc. Socks, for example, will need much different needles than bulky sweaters.
If you have KPO's, you're probably covered for many typical projects, so I wouldn't just buy needles cuz you MIGHT need them. Wait until you find a project that you don't have needles for and then get what you need. Just MHO!:whistle: