PDA

View Full Version : While knitting?

holamiis
06-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I am an intermediate knitter but would be much better if I could just find something to do while I knit. If i just knit, i get bored with what I'm doing and I can only watch so many movies while knitting. What do you all do while knitting, something that can be less focused on for those more complicated patterns?

Thanks,
Erin

Silver
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I watch tv, or listen to music or audio books.

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
I watch tv, or listen to music or audio books.

I watch DVDs, listen to music, listen to radio plays on XM radio (kinda like audio books).

zip
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I live with a sports geek, so I watch (mostly listen) to baseball, football, ice hockey, x games, Olympics or ESPN. It really improves my Yahoo! fantasy teams. :rofling: But no basketball or nascar. A girl's gotta know her limitations.

Occasionally, it's a documentary or a rock concert on cable or DVD. During movies, I rarely knit because I love to soak up all the nuances of the film.

Maybe you'd enjoy an iPod?

zkimom
06-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I watch DVDs, listen to music, listen to radio plays on XM radio (kinda like audio books).

Hi Mason,
Radio plays like old time radio? What station? We have XM radio but I haven't spent much time with it. My 12 yo son loves to listen to old time radio plays so he would really enjoy that.

Hope you are doing well,
Susan

PS -- I knit with the tv or radio. I haven't mastered the knitting while driving thing but you bet if I could, I would :teehee:

rebecca
06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I have to have some type of "sound" going at all times so either the TV or a movie is going; now and again Itunes....there must NOT be silence, that would drive me nuts!

dustinac
06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
We used to have something make noise all the time.. but this past year I have gotten out of that.. the tv will go all day without being turned on :teehee:... One Sunday I enjoyed just knitting in silence but that can get boring.. I will knit while watching tv.. or I put the directv on the XM channels and just listen to the 40s :thumbsup:

wewantmore
06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I generally have the TV on. I do need 'noise' to knit.

Michelle

cftwo
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
I knit while I listen to the radio (NPR) usually, or sometimes while "watching" (listening) to TV/DVDs. Or just listening to the quiet.

kristinw
06-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Watch TV, listen to music, surf on my laptop. Oh and listen to Podcasts. Do you have Itunes? Tons of free Podcasts out there. Lots of knitting ones, especially. Lime n Violet is always good for a laugh!

brownishcoat
06-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I have been enjoying www.finetune.com for music. You create your own playlist, or get one started and have them finish it.

bip
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I just keep the TV on and try to keep it on something not so obnoxious (commercials are so LOUD). If I get bored, I usually realized it's because I've been knitting for like 8 hrs straight and maybe I should get up and move around a little anyway, lol.

mwedzi
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
I always have the TV on for background noise, too. I like to knit to Spongebob. I admit to renting the DVDs in Netflix.:oops: I don't have to pay too much attention, really light-hearted, so I like knitting to cartoons.

If the weather's nice, sometimes on my lunch break I will knit in this little park area not far from my PT job. The sounds of the birds and people walking by add a little interest.

Also have knit while listening to radio dramas, but I think these require a bit more attention as they have a real storyline.

madametj
06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
i listen to my iPod, and watch TV and movies (and surf KH of course!:thumbsup:)

suzeeq
06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
When it's slow at work (like after 7pm) I knit, but like to have something on my monitor to read while I do; or I prop a hardcover book open to read. There's no one in my section at that time, so I can't visit with a coworker.

sue

Mystery_Gyrl
06-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Like others, I often listen to audiobooks or music when I knit. Also, I am an OTR (Old Time Radio) fan so I listen to that or turn on my TV radio. I really envy people who can read and knit at the same time. And not that I'm nutty or something I sometimes talk to myself :wink:.

pandaca
06-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I almost always watch TV while knitting. I try not to watch a show I'm too interested in (like Gray's Anatomy or Desparate Housewives) so that I can focus on knitting. The TV is really just background noise.

tootie44
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I knit while my son has therapies so usually I am watching him.

willowangel
06-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't watch TV when it's on, usually cause I have a terrible memory and forget, then lost the storyline and can't be bothered anymore. So now I download TV series from torrent sites and watch a few episodes at a time while I'm knitting, it's better for the stories too - not having a week in between means I don't forget what happened :rollseyes:

So far I'm totally caught up on 24, Desperate Housewives, My So Called Life, Weeds (except the new season which doesn't seem to be anywhere to download *cry*), Heroes, and I'm getting there with Lost, Gray's Anatomy and the West Wing :-) I don't like just watching TV, and I find it hard to sit still if I'm not doing a couple of things at once, so TV and knitting is good for me *grin*

midnightferret
06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I have a headset and I talk on the phone sometimes while knitting. I also watch movies/tv, or read - for paperbacks I sit in the corner of my sofa (it has very deep sides) and prop the book up on pillows. I used to turn the pages with my toes, but hubby caught me one day and now I don't.