PDA

View Full Version : OT- Using Mapquest

orcoastknitter
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Ok, I am heading off to Portland tomorrow (to see the Yarn Halot). The girls I am going with asked me to map out a few of the yarn stores in the area. I would like to make a map of of the Portland area with the different stores we would like to visit. Does anybody know if mapquest or another website can do this?

Thanks!

sara_jayne
06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Mapquest does have the option of hitting several points of interest at once. You can type in a starting address and an ending address and map that, and then, on that page you'll have the option of adding additional stops along the way! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Google Maps!!! Type in Portland, OR Yarn shops and you'll get a map!

raederle
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I thought there was a sticky about this site somewheres, but I'm glad to point you there!

www.mapmuse.com is a great site, free, which lets you find categories of things at a certain location. it's all user-input, but it's pretty comprehensive.

stay on the left side "Map favorite interests" (don't do the brands one on the right) and click "hobbies and crafts". scroll down through the "interest directory" to "knitting / crocheting /yarn shops" , click on it and just plug in your address/ zip code/ or city, state in the box to find all the yarn shops input by users in a certain area. once you get there, you may want to check a hard copy yellow pages (not everybody is on the online yellow pages--- have to pay more for that...) to make sure you've covered all the places you want to go.

Portland, OR shows 27 yarn shops on MapMuse. Happy hunting!

e

raederle
06-07-2007, 12:54 PM
The sticky is in the Knitters Knear You forum.

Orangeus
06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I second the Google Maps plug!
http://maps.google.com/

Far better than mapquest.

orcoastknitter
06-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks for your help! :cheering:

suzeeq
06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Yahoo maps (maps.yahoo.com) has a feature in their older version where you type in an address (the yarn store) and you can click to show nearby restaurants, bookstores, museums, theaters, spas, a lot of things, right on the map. Won't show all of them at once, but you can note the addresses. Pretty useful anyway...

sue