PDA

View Full Version : Corny I know but I just had my first LYS visit!

nonny2t
06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
First time I have been in a lys. It is Rainbow Yarn in Germantown, TN and it is a nice little shop. What gorgeous stuff they have in there :drool:. I had so many choices, but I just looked today except to buy some dpn's. I am finishing up my first booga bag( dang, why did I wait so long, these things are a whiz bang to do) and wanted to get some Noro for another couple for Christmas gifts. I decided to wait until her new shipment comes in August and go and pick what I want then.

I have decided to make it my mission to make the rounds of the shops here in town. I think there are about 5 of them. While I am at it, I will do the rounds of the ones in South Bend when I am up there when the baby is born too!:happydancing:

Why did I wait so long???????:??

Sanibelle
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Yarn stores are better than candy stores. I have such a great yarn store across the street from my office and I will go over on my lunch hour and just touch the yarn. I think I am her best customer - I cannot control myself when I am in there.

nonny2t
06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
It is certainly an obsession. Some people ogle shoes, others handbags then there is YARN:inlove:! Actually, I have all three obsessions, which ain't good, but.... :lol:

I can't believe I love looking for yarn! I am not as bad as some, as I do have to have a project in mind to buy yarn, but I know that given time, I too shall be one of the sad ones that have more yarn than space, more desire than money, and more addiction than a heroine addict!

madametj
06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
It is certainly an obsession. Some people ogle shoes, others handbags then there is YARN:inlove:! Actually, I have all three obsessions, which ain't good, but.... :lol:

I know, me too! :teehee: (i cant wait till my first LYS visit)

I can't believe I love looking for yarn! I am not as bad as some, as I do have to have a project in mind to buy yarn, but I know that given time, I too shall be one of the sad ones that have more yarn than space, more desire than money, and more addiction than a heroine addict!
:roflhard:

kristinw
06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I was so overwhelmed the first time I went to my LYS. I bought needles that I needed and just walked around touching everything for a long time. There was so much I really didn't know what to buy. So different than Michaels or AC Moore!!

mwedzi
06-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Sounds familiar. Too familiar.

pandaca
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Kristin, I did the same thing the first time I visited an LYS! I get so overwhelmed by the beautiful yarn and so many options that I rarely buy too much just because I can't decide what I want!

geekgolightly
06-07-2007, 07:44 PM
i was very nervous the first time i entered an LYS; i felt out of place like i didn't really belong. i had only been a knitter for a couple of months, and one of the stores weren't all that nice, but the second store i went to, SO nice and helpful and all that lovely yarn i could finally touch rather than just see it on the net

:heart:

auburnchick
06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't have a true LYS store here either. I have loved the couple I've gone to. I'm always like, "Oh, so this is 'fill-in-the-blank.' I saw a pattern call for that." The people who hear me just chuckle.

What's sad is whenever I find out where we're going for soccer tournaments, I immediately look for a LYS near the hotel. This season we're going to California, D.C., N.C., and Disney for tournaments. :::::::::::::::::sigh::::::::::::::::

mornnen
06-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Congrats on your first LYS experience. I wish there were one close to where I live. I've been in two where my folks live -- one was staffed by some rather stand-offish people -- seemed to resent me asking them questions. But the other one was great-- got my first hands on experience with MMMMMalabrigo:inlove:

nonny2t
06-07-2007, 09:06 PM
i was very nervous the first time i entered an LYS; i felt out of place like i didn't really belong. i had only been a knitter for a couple of months, and one of the stores weren't all that nice, but the second store i went to, SO nice and helpful and all that lovely yarn i could finally touch rather than just see it on the net

:heart:

The only odd thing for me today was that I asked the owner of the lys to show me how icord looked as I couldn't wrap my mind around it even watching Amy's video over and over. I told her I was lefthanded and specifically said I did not do continental I was lefthanded. She told me I should learn to knit righthanded. She said the person that taught me was wrong to teach me lefthanded. She said, "Have you known how to knit long?" I told her, "Yes, since I was 13 as I was taught by a 4-h leader." I told her that it was lefthanded or nothing as I cannot knit any other way. I am left bodied and the only thing I can use my right hand to do is move a computer mouse and that took awhile to learn! I think she thought I wanted her to show my how to do it lefthanded and I finally got through to her that I would understand it if she showed me righthanded I just needed to see where the yarn thread went (ie when you make the bottom stitches the top and the yarn is at the bottom of the needle and you just knit it into the top stitch.) Once she just showed me one stitch it was a lightbulb moment and I came home and did the whole icord for the booga bag I am doing.

redwitch
06-08-2007, 01:58 AM
My personal opinion on this (I am very strongly left-handed) is that knitting mirror-image is the last resort for teaching. For other lefties I would offer to teach either English or Conti depending on how to hold the wool, but knitting mirror-image means they might have trouble interpreting instructions showing how to do certain stitches (although this is clearly not a problem for you).
My knitting-product horizons have just opened up with discovering a wool shop that has laceweight (!!!) and a knitting group and craft shop that sells a lot of good stuff I couldn't get before!! so I feel your excitement! Woo hoo!

Sarah

dakatzmeow
06-08-2007, 08:09 AM
ah yes, i remember my first lys experience well. about 2 months ago. and i think, sadly, it is the ONLY lys in my area. some of you have 5 or 6 to choose from? *thud*

i have the same shyness when it comes to actually BUYING yarn there. i have to have a specific pattern in mind with measurements/calcs on hand. i don't want to leave with too LITTLE for my project b/c i have to drive to get there. :(