PDA

View Full Version : Non-Knitters Just DON'T Understand!

Arielluria
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
NON-KNITTERS JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND
DH & mom just don't understand my obsession with knitting...........and they wonder why I spend so much time on KH!!!!! Because you guys DO understand!!!!!!!
:flirt:

DH is very supportive of my talents (sewing, quilting, gardening, etc., etc., etc.). I told DH last night I'm going to get 14 skeins of Lion Brand to make my mom Lion Brand Three-Seson Cardigan Jacket (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/640.html?noImages=), each about $5. He said I could BUY her a pretty nice cardigan for $70................:rollseyes: - he'd have a fit if I were buying @ LYS prices! LOL!

Or to make her a boy bunny to go with last year's girl bunny
A Christmas present to mom (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arielluria/344586214/).........OR.........(kiddingly he said) I could BUY a cardigan and cut out the labels and put in one of my "created with love for you by Lu"
:whistle:
Yeah! Right! As IF!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, just wondering if everyone else has this problem of non-knitters in their life who just don't get it?????????

Jan in CA
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I put yes, but even if they don't understand they are all tolerant and understanding. :teehee:

sara_jayne
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I agree with Jan! :) My husband is SUPER supportive but doesn't get the obsession. He would let me buy the yarn to make anything (within reason). I think he's well trained and has learned that if he lets me buy stuff it means he gets to buy stuff too (read: he just got a 56" TV!!!).

Tell him there is NO price for the love that goes into each and every stitch we knit! ;)

Lisa_H-Town
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
My friends are trying to understand... but sometimes I can still hear the "isn't it cute she does that" in their voices! :rofling:

My husband is just glad I have something to do so I am not looking for projects and chores arounds the house!

hydeemarie
06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
:hair:Yeah I can totally relate to that! My mom, her bf, his daughter, and my brother think it's so retarded that I look at yarn everywhere we go! I mean, if I have like a few skeins of yarn and I see one I seriously like at a store, I ask and I get "You have enough yarn at home!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eats me up inside b/c they dont understand! I hear ya! This is how my mom is sometimes: :violin:And that would be me busting the violin over her head! lol. but now, I think she is starting to understand a little, b/c when I turn out all of this knitted *cough *and crocheted* cough* stuff, she is amazed!!!

Arielluria
06-07-2007, 03:30 PM
:hair:Yeah I can totally relate to that! My mom, her bf, his daughter, and my brother think it's so retarded that I look at yarn everywhere we go! I mean, if I have like a few skeins of yarn and I see one I seriously like at a store, I ask and I get "You have enough yarn at home!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eats me up inside b/c they dont understand! I hear ya! This is how my mom is sometimes: :violin:And that would be me busting the violin over her head! lol. but now, I think she is starting to understand a little, b/c when I turn out all of this knitted *cough *and crocheted* cough* stuff, she is amazed!!!:nails:EXACTLY................mom & DH are totally supportive (within means of course, but I don't shop LYS prices so it's OK)..............but I'm always getting "don't you have enough yarn already?!?" from them.:fingerwag:

:violin::violin::violin:

Arielluria
06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I put yes, but even if they don't understand they are all tolerant and understanding. :teehee:What mine don't get.............and I'm always hearing, "you should spend less time knitting and more time.............sewing...........drawing......... .painting.........etc." from both of them.............in NICE ways, of course. I'm getting tired of reminding them I ONLY knit when I'm sitting and don't want to be idle (watching TV, in car mainly) all my other hobbies take scheduling and take me away from their company! Sheesh!
:knitting:

Glad to see I'm not alone!

stitchwitch
06-07-2007, 03:50 PM
OK, I'm the freak that voted "no". :roflhard:
I just don't have a problem, in fact I have the opposite problem. My mom will call me up and ask if I've knitted anything lately. If I say no she actually sounds disappointed. My friends keep asking if I've knitted anymore purses to which I say no. They also seem disappointed. My husband is the worst enabler in yarn stores. He keeps picking up stuff and telling me I need it. My family's favorite quote to me is "maybe you can knit one". I think they have more faith in me than I do, I'm not that great of a knitter, I'm quite basic in my skills.

Arielluria
06-07-2007, 03:55 PM
OK, I'm the freak that voted "no". :roflhard:
I just don't have a problem, in fact I have the opposite problem. My mom will call me up and ask if I've knitted anything lately. If I say no she actually sounds disappointed. My friends keep asking if I've knitted anymore purses to which I say no. They also seem disappointed. My husband is the worst enabler in yarn stores. He keeps picking up stuff and telling me I need it. My family's favorite quote to me is "maybe you can knit one". I think they have more faith in me than I do, I'm not that great of a knitter, I'm quite basic in my skills.
:flirt:Alrighty...............perhaps you'd like to share with the REST of the class what the heck you've been putting in their kool-aid?!?

A husband who ENABLES at the LYS?!? I thought I had the sweetest most wonderful husband in the world.......now I'll have to tell him he's #2 on the list.....he might change his tune about taking me to the LYS. :roflhard:

Jax3303
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
they don't quite 'get' my addiction, but they're very understanding and supportive of it. Whenever my mom comes over, she likes it when I show her my stash. She likes to feel the fibers, and she knows the skill & time involved in a knitted project. My mom has always been one of my biggest supporters, no matter which artform I'm doing at the time. I went through a painting phase in my teens and she still has every one of my completed works (well, the ones I didn't give away) and displays them proudly. She brags and shows off everything I've knit or crocheted for her to anyone who will listen. Pardon me, I'm having an 'i love my mom' moment here :) My DH too, he doesn't quite get my love for yarn, but he humors me, and he loves my knitting. back when I started knitting socks, whenever I finished a pair, he would sneak it off to work with him to show off to the ladies in his office. Now, he just links them all to my blog :)

Sara
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm a yes. My mom is more supportive now that she has realized how talented I am and she benefits from the fruit of my labors. :teehee:

DH is better about the money thing since I teach knitting (and soon crochet) classes and work at the LYS and really only spend the money that I have earned. He has also learned not to ask me IF I can knit something, now he asks HOW something is knitted. :chair:

bobi1218
06-07-2007, 04:41 PM
My husband just laughs at me. He laughs when I DVR Knitty Gritty and watch it after the kids are asleep, he laughs when I knit in the car as we're driving somewhere, and he gets annoyed when he can't get comfy on the couch at night, because I won't let him lean on me while I'm knitting :)

Arielluria
06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
they don't quite 'get' my addiction, but they're very understanding and supportive of it. Whenever my mom comes over, she likes it when I show her my stash. She likes to feel the fibers, and she knows the skill & time involved in a knitted project. My mom has always been one of my biggest supporters, no matter which artform I'm doing at the time. I went through a painting phase in my teens and she still has every one of my completed works (well, the ones I didn't give away) and displays them proudly. She brags and shows off everything I've knit or crocheted for her to anyone who will listen. Pardon me, I'm having an 'i love my mom' moment here :) My DH too, he doesn't quite get my love for yarn, but he humors me, and he loves my knitting. back when I started knitting socks, whenever I finished a pair, he would sneak it off to work with him to show off to the ladies in his office. Now, he just links them all to my blog :)I'd like to join in this 'I love mom' moment, my mom & DH are very impressed with the work, she shows people artwork I didn't even mean to display.....things I was practicing, etc. But that's how moms are!

Still.........there's that look of :shock: in their eyes when I tell them I want more yarn or I want to start another project. LOL!

stitchwitch
06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
:flirt:Alrighty...............perhaps you'd like to share with the REST of the class what the heck you've been putting in their kool-aid?!?

A husband who ENABLES at the LYS?!? I thought I had the sweetest most wonderful husband in the world.......now I'll have to tell him he's #2 on the list.....he might change his tune about taking me to the LYS. :roflhard:

I think it's more of a happiness that I've actually found something I like to do and kept with it. I'm pretty fickle and bore easily of things, hobbies, etc. I think they feel if they give me positive enforcement the knitting won't end up in a heap at the bottom of the closet like the rest of my obsessions since have. :roflhard: Oh yeah, hubby eggs me on because there is no way on earth I could ever spend what he has spent on race car parts, EVER! It's his way of rationalizing his spending. "If she spends $100 on yarn, I can buy a $1000 hood! Yippee!!"

syndactylus
06-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I put yes because my best friends except for one don't knit, and think it is taking away from our time on the phone together.

one of them has even said that my blog is sociopathic/antisocial (in the clinical sense) because I only show body parts, not pictures of people.
and blames it on the knitting.

but my conspecific totally understands, and encourages me, because of the nonsweatshop, organic, better quality possibilities, even if he won't let me knit him a sweater because the yarn is too thick. :poke:

and my mom thinks everything I do is beautiful! (some of it in that macaroni kindergarten art kind of way, I fear. :chair:) - but my grandmother and mom both knit and hoard yarn like crazy, so they are good knitting pals whenever I see them, which is tragically barely ever.

MrsJSD
06-07-2007, 06:03 PM
My husband and daughter ( who is 8 ) have both come right out and told me that I knit too much. My husband bites his tongue when I buy yarn, but I know he thinks I have too much. He doesn't want to know how much it costs, the expensive stuff really stuns him.

Sometimes when I start to try to make excuses, he'll say something like, "I just better see some by-God wearing of all that knittin'!" ( That's adapted from "The Music Man" in which the mayor says, "I'd better hear some by-God tootin' outa them horns!" ) What he most definitely does not understand is the rattling down of a finished garment which looks perfectly acceptable to him but of which I can not stand the sight. Then, I think, he really begins to wonder if I'm okay.

debinoz
06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Part of my family think I'm totally obsessed. I listen politely to DH when he talks for hours about pins, wedges, head-knockers, and yards of concrete. I even ask questions, but I barely get 2 sentences out about knitting and he's zoned out and back watching t.v. or something. He also thinks I should be able to buy enough yarn to last a year for $20.

Oldest DD has a page on bebo and in her list of things she's afraid of, is "My Mom knitting in publuc."

Youngest Ds and DD think it's fine, they don't even complain when I tell them to wait while I finish a row.

pandaca
06-07-2007, 07:27 PM
My friends think I'm nuts, but I always tell them there are worse addictions to have. Luckily DH is fairly supportive as he has his own obsessions.

dustinac
06-07-2007, 09:23 PM
:teehee: I put no.. dh when I first started was kinda like why?? and how much?? but now he doesn't care and says what yarn or needles would you like for the up coming holiday... it is just us lol our family is all in WV.. the n'bors don't say anything they enjoy the dish rags and I get asked for more.. or bath mitts... plus the rest of my family does something.. mom quilts and knits.. dad is into black smithing or working with wood.. my grandmother crochets.. all like that so they get it and don't say anything.. everyone usually seems proud and encouraging.. they might be thinking crazy..but they don't say it :rofling:

madametj
06-07-2007, 11:08 PM
♪ nah nah, they don't understand it. they just don't get it, no no if you feel me. holla all the knitters across the land ♪ :teehee:

Nobones
06-08-2007, 05:39 AM
My hubby is understanding to a point. He got me the yarn to make the dressing gown and didn't question me wanting to make it even though I had only made a scarf and a bag. However he doesn't get the equipment side of it. He's been great with the swap, picked a ball of yarn out himself, but needles and row counters etc, he just doesn't get. My dad just pats me on the head and says yes very nice dear! I think if I drew him a picture he'd still stick it on the fridge!

sig
06-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Ohh, well i said no. My family is sooo supportive!! My dad every time he sees me knitting ask if it is for him (even if im knitting with some pink yarn) and is always complaining that i havent knit anything for him (problem is, i whant to get real good so i can knit something he can wear!) And my mom... she just loves whatever im knitting!!! And if it is for her... well she feels like shes wearing an armani.. hehehe! The rest of the family loves it, and every time christmas is approachig they ask what im making for them... :lol:. And last but not least my super supportive boyfriend!! He waits for me when he knows im counting stitches, or makes sure i had my knitting with me when we get into de car! :inlove: With the swap hes more like "theres more people like in the world!!!" :oo::eyes:

zkimom
06-08-2007, 06:52 AM
I'm pretty lucky. Most of the people I am around are either knitters or wish they were.

I take my knitting everywhere with me -- every place I think I will have to be sitting and doing nothing. I take it to waiting rooms, meetings where I won't be taking notes or taking pictures, parties, and all my kids' activities. Some people have commented that they never see me without my knitting - (you would think I have a ton of FOs to prove this but I have simply too many OTNs and some frogged projects and several items waiting to be felted :aww: before I can call them FOs -- but that's another post.)

Many times there are other knitters around me. If I am at a family event, my mom and my aunt are knitting along with me. One day at a homeschoolers meeting, there were several people knitting, some dads as well. At my dd's school, most of the moms knit and the kids start learning how in first grade (they are finger knitting in Kindergarten.)

My dd (she's 8) looked at me the other day as I was organizing my stash and some patterns and said, "Your knitting is really important to you, isn't it Mom?"

Like I said, I'm pretty lucky. :happydance:

Best,
Susan

MrsJSD
06-08-2007, 08:07 AM
[...(you would think I have a ton of FOs to prove this but I have simply too many OTNs and some frogged projects and several items waiting to be felted :aww: before I can call them FOs -- "]

Thanks for the above, Susan. I feel better I'm not the only one who is always knitting and yet has precious few finished objects around to prove it. Often I do what I think of as "sketching": a little piece of knitting in which I try things out for a possible future FO. Many of these do not pan out.

KnittingNat
06-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Well... I put "No". my DH is very supportive and so is my family, they've always supported me with crafts (i took sewing classes etc.). since i work and earn the same amount of money as DH, he will never tell me something is too expensive, but i always do say that :oo:
And then he comes over to the computer, sees what i'm :drool: at and says something like "Well, i didn't get you anything for Passover, so consider this a gift". Besides, he got me already knitting and saw my FO's (tanks, scarves, hats) and he loves when i knit. He says i'm relaxed that way :teehee:. He himself is collecting diecast car models, so he knows about addiction and never having enough :lol: My co-workers sometimes laugh at me talking about knitting (the guys), but then the ladies see i'm wearing something i made or get cute booties for a baby and then they change their mind :rofling: Now we have a substitute at the office and we know each other from university and she knits too!!! We're thinking of starting group!

cristina61
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I also have to say No. I'm very lucky my DH is totally understanding and supportive when I'm knitting while we watch TV together and even the other night when I took my knitting with me to Red Lobster!

He's been obsessed with fishing since he was four years old and spends tons of money on his equipment. I've never ever given him a hard time about it, and so he returns the favor with my knitting obsession. He likes checking out the colors I buy and sometimes he'll say, "That color would make a good rubber worm!" When I showed him my Artyarns Regal Silk he asked me if I could use it to knit him a pair of underwear! :rofling:

My mom is just super. She's been a knitter much of her life and is the one who inspired me to start knitting myself. Whenever I have a problem that needs hands-on approach, she'll figure it out for me.

I took her to see the Yarn Harlot last night; she'd never heard of her or read her books, but she laughed the whole time. At the end when Stephanie was signing my book, my mom shook her hand and told Stephanie how proud she was of me for FINALLY catching the knitting bug! :heart::heart:

jjminarcik
06-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I have plenty of people who don't "get" my addiction. But I have more people that are supportive - especially DH. He actually went with me to a LYS today and DIDN'T COMPLAIN!

Braden
06-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey, always remember-- WHENEVER A NON KNITTER ASKS A STUPID QUESTION, REMEMBER YOU HAVE SHARP STICKS!

jeanius80
06-09-2007, 01:25 AM
i answered yes. family doesn't understand, and dh teases me, but he is still good about my stash and knitting stuff. when i bought some white cascade fixation he actually asked me if i was going to knit him some socks with it. :teehee: now i might have too. :shifty: is 2 skeins enough for mens size 12??? maybe i could stripe it with the lavender i also bought :rofl:

Braden
06-09-2007, 06:38 AM
I put no, because most everybody likes to look at my knitting and talk about it. I've never been teased about it before.

CateKnits
06-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I think it's like any other hobby. Plenty of my gamer friends, for example, don't "understand" what I like about knitting, but plenty of knitters, for example, make rude comments about my playing World of Warcraft. And there are very few of you who get my knitting WHILE playing World of Warcraft! :roflhard:

JoeE
06-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I put no. My family is kind of used to my being a little weird. I collected vintage sewing machines for years, so they're all kind of glad I've moved on to something smaller that weighs less and doesn't take up that much space. Even with a growing stash and enough needles and notions to open a small LYS, knitting is still cheaper than my old sewing machine addiction. You don't want to know what it costs to have a 100 year old, 35 lb, hand cranked machine packaged, insured, and shipped--a few (dozen) skeins of yarn are a bargain.

Joe

losnana
06-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I think it's like any other hobby. Plenty of my gamer friends, for example, don't "understand" what I like about knitting, but plenty of knitters, for example, make rude comments about my playing World of Warcraft. And there are very few of you who get my knitting WHILE playing World of Warcraft! :roflhard:

:roflhard::roflhard:

Seriously, I voted no, because although my dh doesn't understand why anyone would be obsessed with knitting, he does understand obsessions for other things, like golf and computers.

aylaanne
06-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I put yes. My DH and my family are all very supportive, but they don't understand. DH is reluctant to let me buy more yarn, not realizing that not buying new yarn keeps me from finding projects to use up the old yarn. I keep trying to convince him that a stash means "fits in more than one box" but he's not buying it. I should tell him I need a ball of yarn for every piece of ammo he has (he hoards guns and ammo).

I think it's interesting because this is one of the things that the Yarn Harlot talked about when I went to see her in Northampton. She explained how decades ago it was considered wasteful to buy something that you could make, and now it's considered wasteful to make something that you can buy.

Eloewien
06-09-2007, 11:43 PM
And there are very few of you who get my knitting WHILE playing World of Warcraft! :roflhard:

what else are you supposed to do while healing????

Liliyarn
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Yippie, I can brag on SO/BF. :cheering: He's my enabler. The man is willing to get a storage building to house more of my yarn. Doesn't want me to knit him anything, but loves for me to knit. He doesn't "get" the different fibers so to him yarn is yarn and he wants me to get it all. "Go ahead and get it. You may knit with it tomorrow or you may never knit it at all." I'm fairly frugal and never would have bought the really nice stuff with out him. Or so much of it. (for evidence of this just go to my blog)

I also spin and he talked me into a second wheel. He doesn't batt an eye when I save the cat's fur, ask for neighbors to shave their dogs and give me the fur, pile fleeces of various critters in the garage, fondle yarn, doesn't ask why mohair is in the freezer, or why a few hanks of wool are stuffed in the couch.

When I dye yarn and he askes what's cooking..."Oh okay...very cool." Not disappointed that I'm not actually cooking. He laughs when I read him stories from Yarn Harlot.

I'm convinced that if I wanted to start an alpaca and sheep farm he'd say "sure."

Mom requests projects for me to knit her. Dad fell in love with alpaca fiber. He got me a drum carder last year :hug:

They are all super supportive. Maybe not 100% in the first few months but that was several years ago. They see I'm happy and enjoy it. Plus it means I'm easy to please at gift giving time...just buy me yarn or spinny stuff.

I love them all and wouldn't trade them for anything...:heart:

May your family and friends be as supportive to you as mine are to me!

Arielluria
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
:woot:Last night DH said the 9 little words I had been dying to hear......"You know what I WOULD like you to knit?"......:lol:......naturally I was on the edge of my seat, looking at him like a dog looks at you when you hold a milkbone out and tell him to beg. LOL!

I eagerly said ..........WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?!?!?

The reply was "LARGE Christmas stockings for all of us", plus one for the dogs with their names on it".:cheering:Woohoo! I may be converting him to knitting afterall!

Naturally I am on it like a knitter on a yarn sale! I figure to write the dogs' names on the stocking after it's knit, I forget what you call that, but I saw it on Knitty Gritty.

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Hi'ya! :waving:

I have two things to comment on:

1) a hand-knit sweater for your mother will mean much more to her than any ready-made, store-bought sweater! Price more, or price less...it won't matter.

2) The act of knitting has been proven to help the knitter's brain sort out the litter that has been scattered about in the brain.

HUH?

Well, here is an illustration of what I mean:

Let's compare the brain to a kitchen. After most cooks are finished making a big special meal...the kitchen can look like a whirlwind hit it, or a bomb! The counters are filled with stuff, the cupboards are open, the sink is full of dishes, everything is all over the place...spices, oil, measuring cups, cornstarch, flour, salt, garlic!

Now, visualize this: you leave the kitchen AS IS...go out and knit for a couple hours...and when you come back to the kitchen...VOILA...a kitchen genie has put everything back in order, and cleaned up everything and every surface.

Well, that my friends is what your knitting genie is doing for you while you knit! Sorting out all the mess your subconscious is in, and putting things back to ALL RIGHT!

For you computer savvy knitters: substitute the kitchen illustration to a DISK DEFRAGMENTATION. Same thing! Same principles!

That is why the act of knitting is so relaxing and addicting!
Sigh. Now where are my knitting needles???:inlove:

Cia
08-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Well I'll divide my family in to two camps, one represented by my mother and one by my sister.
Mom seems to think like this: Ok, knitting is fun I guess, and she's getting rather good at it, though it isn't something I normally see 17yrolds doing, and perhaps she'll understand with time that knitting in public, or talking about knitting, is social suicide... but she's always been rather special.
My dear sister on the other hand seems to think like this: This is scary, she's knitting, and doing what ever hell it is when she ties small knots, I wish she would stop and become like normal people, or atleast keep from ever ever ever telling anyone about it.

Rather depressing actually. Mom is kinda supportive, but that's mostly because she expects me to be rather quirky...
Well the silver lining is my SO, he seems to have a natural appriciation for all things hand-made. To him it's nothing strange that a handmade sweater would cost many times as much as a factory made one. It doesn't matter what I get in to, knitting, crocheting, tatting, sewing... he's always supportive, he just reminds me to not stay up all night knitting. I can even talk to him about knitting, it doesn't matter to him that he knows nothing about it and that the terminology is greek to him, he just lets me babble on about cables and mosstitch and grafting... he really just is wonderful about it all, I knitted him a terribly ugly scarf (my first FO) and it hasn't left his bed ever since, well it did leave his bed to be taken to work and shown off to his friends... :teehee:

Debbie
08-07-2007, 06:55 AM
syndactlus, I had to look up conspecific up in the dictionary :)

minkoo
08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
My husband is really supportive, and most of my friends, but some just don't understand.

Riss
08-07-2007, 09:15 AM
My boyfriend really takes things in stride, even though I voted yes. He's the only one I've really gotten any resistance from. He teases me about having granny hobbies.

But I have to admit, he is doing 100x better now than he was a few weeks ago when I first started knitting. He doesn't quite ask what I'm making, but does show a bit of interest when I show him something I'm proud of (like my first cable!).

I do have one sore spot though. I've been crocheting since I was like 10, and have been crocheting like a mad woman for the past 7 or 8 months (and we live together so he definitely KNOW). What did he do a few weeks ago? Asked the roommate of my good friend who is making a red and black striped blanket if SHE would make him seat covers for his new car. I was just sitting right next to him like :oo::noway::tap::waah:

That one definitely hurt. But recently, he's been doing better. It might be because I'm going to make him a hat, his favorite cool weather accessory. But you never know..

Arielluria
08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I do have one sore spot though. I've been crocheting since I was like 10, and have been crocheting like a mad woman for the past 7 or 8 months (and we live together so he definitely KNOW). What did he do a few weeks ago? Asked the roommate of my good friend who is making a red and black striped blanket if SHE would make him seat covers for his new car. I was just sitting right next to him like :oo::noway::tap::waah:Don't take it so hard, I bet he figured you had so many OTNs that he didn't want to add to your "burden" - non-knitters think it's a burden and WHY are you knitting socks when you can get them cheap enough at Walmart, etc. It's an entirely different thought process!!!!!!!!! Besides, guys are sometimes oblivious to such things. You should tell him in a sweet way that YOU would like to make his seat covers.

BTW, where can I get seat cover patterns?!? Great idea!

aineepooh1
08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah riss.. thats what I thought too.. he probably thought.. she is so busy right now.. so and so is working on anything rightnow.... I'll ask her.:think:
as far as for my experience: my family teases me but they are more or less supportive. my mom has even helped me move my stash ( out of the living room.... she said it was an eyesore:noway:)... I thought it was a a work of ART~!
in fact for my bday one of my family members even sprung to buy me my WONDERFUL BALL WINDER and SWIFT~!!:clink::clink::clink:
I LOVE MY BALL WINDER~!!:passedout::passedout::passedout:

dreamsherl
08-07-2007, 12:00 PM
My loved ones are very understanding. Although they hate for me to see a yarn or fabric store. They have to go in with me every time.

Nichan
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I agree with Jan! :) My husband is SUPER supportive but doesn't get the obsession. He would let me buy the yarn to make anything (within reason). I think he's well trained and has learned that if he lets me buy stuff it means he gets to buy stuff too (read: he just got a 56" TV!!!).

Tell him there is NO price for the love that goes into each and every stitch we knit! ;)

hahaha...my husband is very supportive too about my hobbies...well, he bough PS2 and combined with his big tv, he just got busy himself playing Godfather...
Why do boys like big tv, big speaker, big stereo?...
may be they think the same about woman's knitter...why do they love that yarns?...haha...

yeah, i can feel the same about 'sinical' people about our work...my family (former: parents, siblings) are...
but i'm happy that i have a very supportive husband...
i always makes myself to gather around with people who has the same hobby (s) or with people who just can appreciate it...(that's why i join this forum...yay:cheering:)...my sister now can do that...so, i'm happy to make my handknit for her...but to make other craft like sewing some clothes for her...no...i just still feel discouraged about it...too many rejections make me feel discouraged to give something...it's not a challenge for me to please them...it's useless...i think i can make it differ: which person makes good critics or just being sinical...i just ignore the last one...:whoosh:

but i think that's a good experience for me to meet sinical or unappreciative people...it makes me more sensitive about others preference and keep supporting their spirit as long as what they do is positive...
and all i try to think for my self is positive critics and encourage...i don't need a whole world to encourage me...i have one big supporter at home...my husband...that's a big start for me...

mari_13
08-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Oh my DH LOVES that I knit. When we're out shopping, he's loves to say "oh you can make that" so I won't buy it! But he does support my yarn habit and never makes me stick to my yarn diet.

People who know me, are not surprised that I knit as they say I'm a la Martha Stewart but those who don't know me well say it's "grandma-y", dorky, etc. I don't really care about what they have to say though.

Arielluria
08-07-2007, 02:41 PM
here here!!!!!!!!!! They're just jealous!
:whoosh: