PDA

View Full Version : OT - Dying your hair while pregnant

Knitalia
06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
What is everyone's opinion. My roots are hideous!

tootie44
06-07-2007, 07:26 PM
My OB said it was ok after first trimester...but my hairstylist refused to do it!:doh:

debinoz
06-07-2007, 07:28 PM
My DIL dyes her hair all the time when she's pregnant.If you're really concerned you could call a beauty shop and ask??

1knittychick
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I had my hair permed with my 1st child (during 2nd trimester); colored with 2nd child (also during 2nd trimester). No problems with either pregnancy.

mum2caden
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I did it, and my OB said it was fine after the first trimester anyway. The baby is forming in the first trimester, but beyond that, s/he is just growing, so it isn't as much of a concern.

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm pretty sure if I were pregnant I wouldn't be thinking about my hair. :shock: :lol:

jmp3775
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I didnt either time. OB said it was OK later in the pregnancy, but I never did.

zkimom
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I go to an Aveda salon. My hairdresser is pregnant and she says the Aveda products are gentle and natural enough to use even during pregnancy.

You might want to see if you can find one in your area.

Their products are great, BTW.

Here's their website:

Aveda Salons (http://www.aveda.com/home.tmpl)

You can do a search and find a location near you.

Best,
Susan

zkimom
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm pretty sure if I were pregnant I wouldn't be thinking about my hair. :shock: :lol:

:roflhard:

Mason,

If you were pregnant, no one would be thinking about your hair!

There would be plenty of book offers and movie deals though.

Be careful, pregnancy just wrecks your figure!

Best,
Susan

MoniDew
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
It's more than just about baby forming. It's about baby being attached to mom's blood supply, throughout the entirety of pregnancy. Mom is absorbing that dye, through her scalp, and into her bloodstream, while tiny is bathed in a toxic bath now, from the chemicals in the dye. Neither mom nor baby should be exposed to these highly toxic substances, during pregnancy, or EVER, for that matter.
________
Vapormatic Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/vapormatic-vaporizer.html)

jeanius80
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
i did both during my pregnancy. my CNM said it was fine after 1st tri. plus i figured it is only on my hair and a very small amount for a very short time might get on my scalp, so it wasn't very likely that any would get into my blood stream to affect my dd. she's fine see:

misstialouise
06-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I know a few hairdressers, and as long as you're not using a strong bleach or a dye high in ammonia, you should be okay. If you are, however, wanting to go blonde, just make sure they don't paint your scalp.

Semi's are perfectly safe.

Maybe it's time to think about going a bit darker? ;)

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
:roflhard:

Mason,

If you were pregnant, no one would be thinking about your hair!

There would be plenty of book offers and movie deals though.

Be careful, pregnancy just wrecks your figure!

Best,
Susan

Exactly :rofling:

ironmaiden
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
What is everyone's opinion. My roots are hideous!

I did it and nothing bad happened, but the color sometimes doesn't come out like it would normally, so be careful. Something about hormonal differences or something.

Knitalia
06-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I didn't think this was such a controversial issue.

msoebel
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
If you're concerned, trying using a semi-permanent color. That's all I use anyway, because it's gentler on the hair (and the scalp).

Misty

beckyrhae
06-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I was a hairstylist for 12 years. So here is my .02

It is perfectly fine to dye your hair while pregnant.

Dyes have progressed so far in the past 10 years it is amazing.

Ask about ventilation. I once did a clients hair OUTSIDE on Sunday afternoons because she hated the smell while pregnant... but she hated her white hair more:teehee:

Do not let someone give you "hormone" excuse. If your hairdresser lays that on you, find a new one, she is lazy. (man hairdressers hate me for that line.) Your hair will NOT change a funky color while pregnant, yes medication can sometimes do funny things to haircolor but it takes alot to build up in the hair shaft.

Anyway... go with your gut. Mommy knows best. :muah:

Lisa1216
06-08-2007, 02:03 PM
As with anything in pregnancy, you need to weigh the risks vs. benefit. Find out what is in the hair dye and then ask your MD. Like with medications, certain ones are okay to take in pregnancy while others aren't. Chemicals do absorb through your skin, so just because you don't actually swallow something, just putting it on your skin gets it into your system too. It's always a good rule to check with your MD first.

(IMHO...Walking down a city street is probably more harmful with all the traffic fumes, but no one ever gives that a second thought :ick:)

figaro
06-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I had my hair dyed throughout my 3 pregnancies and they are all fine. Both my OB and my hairdresser had no problem with it. I agree with what others have said, the products used to dye hair have come along in the past 10-20 years and I think as long as it is not sitting on your head for a couple of hours, everything should be fine. (Now I off to make a appointment to fix these 2 inch roots!:ick::hair:)

itsjustmeghan
06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
i had mine done after the first trimester, and it was all good.
as long as the room is properly ventilated, then you're fine. you have to figure, most hair stylists don't stop dying hair because they are pregnant, and they get exposed to more dye in a day then you would in a year.
if you are worried about the chemicals soaking into your skin, you can always have them foil your color on because very little touches your scalp. but like others have said, fumes from traffic are worse, and i've known people who've smoked through their pregnancies (:shrug:) and their babies were all fine. so it could be worse.

oh, and congrats!:cheering: babies are so much fun!!!