PDA

View Full Version : How easily do circs break?

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I have started this rug and have decided to go buy some cotton yarn to run through from time to time as a lifeline because I realise the weight of this rug in the end is going to be fairly hefty. Have people found much problem with the cords on circs breaking? These are brand new but I am mindful things DO happen.

misstialouise
06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Never had a circ break yet :D As long as you have decent quality ones :D

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 10:36 PM
If you think about it it's highly unlikely that your circs will ever have to bear the weight of the entire rug. It's going to be laying on your lap or someplace, not hanging off the circs (unless you knit from a trapeze or something).

Momto G B and H
06-07-2007, 10:38 PM
unless you knit from a trapeze or something).
Now wouldn't that be something!

knitqueen
06-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Another one here who has never had it happen, and I don't use only expensive circs. Some of mine that cost me $4 that I've used lots haven't broken either.

five_six
06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Are they Birch ones? Cause I have had those break so be wary.

Now that I have my Options - I shall never have this problem again!!! Prove me wrong Options, prove me wrong...

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 10:59 PM
five_six.. Yes they are..I have never seen any other brand here. These knit picks these guys talk about in the US sound superb.
Mason makes a good point about it being in my lap BUT as the knitting is progressing I'm having to really push the knitting along etc..I'm straining the cord (obviously) each time I do that as the knitting is getting increasingly bulky. And we don't have 16" circs here either so it's a tad crowded. :-)

I think the life line will be a wise precaution. I have well over 200 stitches and I would never pick them up and I have knitting double stranded also. (Kicking myself for not getting more of the second yarn and sweating as to whether to go today or not as it's pouring here)

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh.. I had meant to ask where you bought the Options?

five_six
06-07-2007, 11:03 PM
I broke my Birch ones when I pushed my yarn along it too hard, just pulled the cord right out!! I had a lovely member here give me her KP's details so I could order them on her account (I paid for them, but they were shipped to her addresss), then she shipped them to me, but they are available in Australia now - I'll find the link for you, but bear in mind, it still worked out heaps cheaper for me to buy them from the US and have them shipped than to pay what they are charging over here for them.

What length are you using?

Off to find the linky...

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 11:03 PM
If you really want a set of Options I am sure it could be arranged to have some shipped to you.

knitqueen
06-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I listen to the podcast by David Reidy called 'Sticks and String', you can find him at: http://sticksandstring.wordpress.com/

He lives in Australia and has mentioned several times a shop in Sydney, I believe, that sells Knitpicks Options. If you can't find it in his shownotes, email him and he'll let you know.

Edited to add:

I found it for you, the shop is Tapestry Craft and you can buy the Options at this site. (http://www.tapestrycraft.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_1017&osCsid=87617d670524fad3c061c2fa31970631)

Susan P.
True..(let me see now..an australian dollar is worth 10 cents US..that means I will have to sell my herd of llama and six goats to pay for one set) LOL Just about tho! Five_Six lives in Aussie so let's see where she got hers.

Hanging on the rafters indeed Mason. Sounds like a right royal circus where you live :-)

misstialouise
Susan,

Tapestry Craft now stock KP Option needles.. that's where I got mine from.. :D

They're hot sellers too :D Just talk to any of the girls in the knitting area, they'll order them in for you :D

Works out cheaper than having them shipped over from the states...

five_six
06-07-2007, 11:08 PM
found it - they are at Tapestry Craft, here's (http://www.tapestrycraft.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_1017&osCsid=d121d5ccdd9c86aeb1db9a4c64e71c13)the link :happydance:

five_six
06-07-2007, 11:08 PM
oops i was beaten, go Misstialouise!

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
KnitQueen...you are all an inspiring bunch. I can order online via Tapestry Craft here in Sydney. Sets are on special at the moment for a little under $8 each. Good stuff! However, they won't get to me before end of next week so I will make lifelines in the meantime.

Thanks a bunch for pushing me to look and explore.

knitqueen
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
haha - we were all thinking the same thing! :teehee:

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks Aussie ladies and KnitQueen who now has dual citizenship!..we are all of one mind..OHMMMMM
I reckon we might even break out and make something together one day! (like shared around I mean)

I think Tapestry Craft are realising that people go to them for quality as I didn't see these a few months ago when I looked but the US folk speak so well of Knit Picks that it's worth investing in new needle sets that will last!

I will madly click through thanks like a silly demented knitter now :)

five_six
06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Works out cheaper than having them shipped over from the states...

Can't figure out how to quote properly any more!!!

No way, heaps cheaper from US - when they first came out here they retailed for 120, they are still over 100 atm, I paid $50 us, just shy of $70 here, and postage wasn't much at all!! So I saved around $40 from memory. Only downfall was I had to wait a while to receive them, but I ordered mine in January before they became available here.

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:15 PM
five_six..I gather you bought a full set. TC had each pair at just under $8 today when I looked.

I think I'll stop knitting until I can get a lifeline in *paranoid* :oo:

five_six
06-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Yep, full set - although I would like to get the smaller needles that aren't in the set for my sockies, and some more cables. When TC first started selling them they only sold the sets, I'm thrilled to see they stock individual needles now, so I think I may have to do some spending, naughty girls starting this thread making me spend money!! LOL

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Heh..this is only my second use of circs..I would definitely want a few sets of quality ones at particular sizes and that's for sure. I tend to use sizes 6-7.5 more than any other bracket. The 5's next.

misstialouise
06-07-2007, 11:29 PM
KP's don't do tips small enough to do socks on with the interchangeables, but I bought the circs for socks and they are just as dreamy as the tips :D

When I was looking at getting them shipped over, I was doing a huge order, so shipping killed me..

mum2caden
06-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Hehe- you have no idea how happy I am to hear you get the options in Australia! I lived there for a year and am doing all I can to come back as soon as I can (training as a nurse now,lol). I even have an Aussie tattoo!

It is nice to know that I will still be able to get my favorite needles when I get there!

five_six
06-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, I was a bad girl, and I don't even look in this Swap/Buy/Sell forum anymore cause of it, but I bought some yarn from another member here, and thought I'd take advantage of the box being sent over to throw my Options in with the yarn, so I guess that helped really. Barely added anything to the postage I was already paying, in fact, I think they ended up making up the difference for me so shipping was let's say 'free'...

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:37 PM
misstialouise (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/member.php?u=9521)..you have the interchangeables? I am even MORE paranoid about the cable coming off them.

five_six. All i know is exchange rates on say books etc..academic books..has been a killer. I've had to pay $78 from the co-op bookshop before for a book that in the us sells for $38. I agree, if you have pals or are doing a larger order etc it's worth the postage.

But I had a contract sent to me from the US recently that took almost two months by ordinary mail. Good gravy!

mum2caden... Strike me lucky..another sheila coming to our land!
(mind you..I never hear anyone say sheila here :-)

misstialouise (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/member.php?u=9521)..is it pouring where you are? I am soooo reluctant to go out and use the car today but I sadly must..*clings to inside of son's apartment*

Calamintha
06-07-2007, 11:40 PM
There have been a lot of people with the Knitpicks Options that have had the cable break off from the needle. There was a thread on the Knitters Review forum about it:

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63474

Apparently Knitpicks is very good about replacing the cables but still it's not something you want to have happen with lots of stitches on the needle.

Apart from the KP Options I haven't heard of many people who have had the problem. I think I heard one report of Bryspun's breaking and a couple on Balene's.

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Gosh Calamintha..never heard of those brands. I guess one really needs to play safe IF it's going to be an issue

Calamintha
06-07-2007, 11:53 PM
One brand I can tell you is absolutely reliable is Inox/Prym. I have a circular shawl that I have been knitting for the last year. The final row had 870 stitches on it!

misstialouise
06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Susan P. Yes, I have the whole set. And as long as you tighten the cord onto the tip properly (with the little tool), I can't even loosen them by trying hard with my hands... I have to get the tool out to undo them.. as well you should :D

Yes, it's POURING over here atm.. I have to venture out tonight with my son/husband for dinner... icky..

Oh, and I've been pointed to a great website for books. www.bookdepository.co.uk (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk) Yes, in pounds, but apparantly they have FREE worldwide shipping :D and they have HEAPS of books (and lots of knitting ones too) WOO!

five_six
06-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Misstialouise - where did you get your uninterchangeables from? I've looked at the TC site, but unless I'm blind, they don't sell just the normal needles. I'd love to get the smaller sizes.

misstialouise
06-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Here's the link (http://www.tapestrycraft.com.au/catalog/multi_info.php?cPath=21_1082&osCsid=355e694e73d624ca5798ca99789ccccf&multiID=1082)... That has the circs and the DPN's.. :D All very lovely :D

five_six
06-08-2007, 12:37 AM
:doh: ok, so I was blind...