PDA

View Full Version : When doing stripes...

3kids1036
06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
What is the best way to change the yarn color? Im onl knitting for four rounds of each color, but this is my FIRST time doing this...so any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

nonny2t
06-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I am doing my first striped project too! I was told that you can "carry" the yarn up the side. I will let those with more knowledge answer and I will be sure and peek in to see what they say for my benefit too.

3kids1036
06-08-2007, 09:09 AM
oh someone please tell me what it means to "carry yarn"

Knitting_Guy
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Carrying the yarn simply means that you don't cut it off after using it. You can just twist the two strands once so they are wrapper together at the beginning of every other row. It makes it easy to switch without having a bunch of tails to weave.

Sorry, I don't think I explained that very well.

3kids1036
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I think I understand...kinda like hook it together? if it was laying flat, it would look like a J and put one J into the other and knit.....right? lol

Knitalia
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Using more than one color w/out cutting is a mystery to me. If anyone know of a tutorial on using bobbins or carrying yarn, please let me know.

Knitting_Guy
06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
I tried to find a good tutorial for this but everything I can find just assumes you know what carrying it means without really explaining it.

Hopefully someone will come along who can explain it better than I.

baronreads
06-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I really think it depends on what yarn you're using. My first striped project I used acrylic yarn, so I knotted the strands when I changed color and they are hanging off the side. I will eventually weave them all in. I know there's a better way though.

Check this out for different methods, scroll down to Joining Yarns:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/../basic_techniques/misc.php)