PDA

View Full Version : Hem on sweater... least conspicuous technique?

Ariane100
06-08-2007, 10:23 AM
When making a hem on a sweater, what's the most invisible way to turn it up? The two techniques I know of is to make a provisional cast-on and then to k2tog each stitch with the corresponding body stitch, or to hand sew the hem after the body of the sweater is done.

Which of these two techniques would make the flattest hem? Or is there another technique that works well?

TIA! :muah:

knitqueen
06-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I recently made a cardigan with a hem, though it was knit from the top down so I didn't have the option of the provisional cast on. I bound off all my stitches (so that would be the same as you starting with a regular cast on, not provisional) and then stitched them one at a time to the corresponding purl bump on the reverse side (the inside) of the sweater. I'm very very happy with how it came out. It lays nice and flat, doesn't pucker at all. This one also had a picot edge which would be an option for you as well if you like that type of look. I'm including a picture:

Ariane100
06-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Wow, great job! Your hem looks perfect! I was thinking that sewing the hem up like you did, catching just the bump of the purls, would be more invisible, but I kinda like the idea of just knitting the hem and body stitches together... But I think your pic is a great demonstration of how well the first technique works!

Any other opinions?